Nexus 6P charging dock/fast charging possible?

android6391

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys so i just got my new 6P last week and I'm absolutely LOVING it so far, upgraded from an iPhone 6, have had many nexus phones in the past so thought i would get the 6P after watching many youtube reviews, anyway I am looking to buy a charging dock (hate charging with the cable on my nightstand).
I haven't found any good quality docks on amazon or eBay whatsoever, just some generic cheaper universal USB C docks. I was looking at this cheaper dock that obviously has a USB C port to sit the phone on but the back of the dock has a micro usb (older) connection, will this still support the fast charging feature of the 6P or will it only charge as USB 2.0 speeds? has anybody else found any decent looking docks online that take advantage of the fast charging USB C feature?

Thanks!

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Based on your description, I am guessing that the dock will only charge the phone at 'standard' speeds.

PhyscoAssassinX

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Yea you'll only get "slow charge" since USB 2.0 only delivers a certain amount of speed which is less then 3.0

Posted via the Android Central App

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Yea you'll only get "slow charge" since USB 2.0 only delivers a certain amount of speed which is less then 3.0

Posted via the Android Central App

It's not really a USB 2.0 vs. USB 3.0 thing. It's a USB-C PD vs. USB thing. USB-C PD is a new portion of the spec and it allows the device to request 5v/3A (in the case of the 6P anyway) from a compatible charger. If there is ANY non USB-C cable/plug/charger in the chain it should revert to a standard charge rate, something along the lines of 2A. As a Google engineer has been reporting on cable reviews on Amazon, some cables defy the USB spec and use a specific pullup resistor to trick the phone (and the phone owner) into thinking the phone can "charge rapidly" from legacy USB cables with a USB-C plug on one end.

"Charging rapidly" is a result of proper USB-C implementation, if the dock has a micro-USB input from the wall wart then it won't properly charge the device rapidly and could result in damage to the wall wart, cable or (worse) the table and surrounding objects.