Nexus or Moto? Anyone try both before deciding?

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
i have a 6P arriving tomorrow, but am wondering if the Moto Pure should also be considered. Yeah, this be the 6P forum, but who better to ask than folks who may have had the same tough choice and tried both devices before deciding. Trying to weigh the pros and cons of one over the other. I've watched tons of comparison videos till I'm totally burnt out on them both. Both look awesome and I see good things about both. Same screen size yet moto is a bit smaller, a plus IMO. Probably no case needed with the moto with the custom grippy backside, another plus IMO. Reviewers give the moto speakers a slight edge for the better, not sure if this is significant enough. I'm probably going to order the moto to see for myself. Return policies seem the same for both as I would only keep one. Any input is appreciated. Thanx,

maclancer

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
If you want future OS upgrades... Take the 6P. However with the moto there is not future proof. They can be upgradeable to marshmallow but not to Android N.

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I had the 2013 and 2014 Moto X before getting the 6P. The one thing I really do miss on the Moto X is the Moto Display feature. Ambient display on the Nexus doesn't come close to working as well. While the Moto X Pure won't get updated as quickly, it'll still be updated faster than any carrier version, and there is an argument to be made that getting the updates later, after the bugs have been worked out, is better. On the other hand, getting the monthly security updates each month on the Nexus is really great. I can't speak to the Moto X Pure camera, which is supposed to be much improved over the 2014 Moto X, but the Nexus 6P camera is really great, especially in low-light settings. Also, in the 6P's favor is the fingerprint scanner, which I didn't think I'd care about, but end up using all of the time to unlock my phone and really love now that I have it. The Nexus 6P definitely is the more "Premium" feeling phone, but is more expensive as well, so factor that in.

Overall, I love my Nexus 6P and if I could choose it again I would, but you can't go wrong with either when you factor in price and the Moto Display feature. Plus, if you like customizing the color of the phone on MotoMaker, that's pretty neat as well.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Moto X pure probably wont get Android N..

in near future dont be that guy who come here to complain about software update for Moto X

Nexus 6p will get Android N and M.

hardware wise 6p is more premium

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Moto X pure probably wont get Android N..

in near future dont be that guy who come here to complain about software update for Moto X

Nexus 6p will get Android N and M.

hardware wise 6p is more premium

I disagree with that. I'd bet that it will get N. The 2014 Moto X unlocked version got Marshmallow. I doubt it will get O, but that's not until 2 years from now, so it depends how long you hold onto phones for.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I had the Moto X Pure Edition and it still is a very great phone. I went with the 6P and if I had to choose again I would choose the 6P over and over simply due to the quick support directly from Google.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I've had both as daily drivers. i like the Moto X Pure Edition camera better, I think it takes better photos and videos. The moto x is also easier to hold in the hand. The 6P gets faster updates and will have a longer supported life than the moto will. Also the fingerprint scanner on the 6P is very nice. There's no difference in speed between the devices, they are both snappy and lag free. Battery is the same for me.

If both got updates direct from google it would be a wash. But for me the 6P wins out for updates.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I had (well, still have but don't use) a 2013 Moto X and considered the Pure when I got the 6P. The fingerprint reader and at least 2 major OS updates were the key points in favor of the 6P.

The one thing I absolutely miss from the Moto X was the voice control (I haven't set up the lock-screen control for the 6P, guess I should try it) and the driving detection and reading of text messages.

The benefits of the 6P outweighed the add-ons I would have gotten with the Moto X Pure.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
definitely 6p ... better camera, faster updates, better battery life (Moto pure SOT is about 3 hours, almost 5 on the 6p), USB-C, fingerprint sensor and more premium feel.

husa3695

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I had (well, still have but don't use) a 2013 Moto X and considered the Pure when I got the 6P. The fingerprint reader and at least 2 major OS updates were the key points in favor of the 6P.

The one thing I absolutely miss from the Moto X was the voice control (I haven't set up the lock-screen control for the 6P, guess I should try it) and the driving detection and reading of text messages.

The benefits of the 6P outweighed the add-ons I would have gotten with the Moto X Pure.

Lock screen control?

PeltFrelken

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I bought the Moto X Pure Edition and returned it and got the 6P. I owned the 2013 Moto X which I liked a lot. But the 2015 version just didn't do it for me. The speakers are better on the X, but that's hardly a reason to go with one over another. I'm sure both would work well for you. But, ya, I'd recommend the 6P.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol