Google Keyboard Syncing Problems

Adam Law

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
Hey guys.

I'm having problems syncing my Google keyboard. I have my keyboard linked to an ordinary Gmail account, I also have a Google apps email address connected to the phone for Gmail only.

When I go the the Account section of the keyboard I get an error message telling me syncing isn't available on Google apps for businesses accounts. All the fields are blanked out.

If I go to the Google sync menu for the Gmail account the Google keyboard is apparently syncing. On the Google apps account everything is turned off apart from Gmail.

So I dont actually know if the keyboard is syncing or not. Is this a known bug with the keyboard? I can't write understand why it says syncing is unavailable when is not even linked to a Google apps account. And even if it was I can't change it.

Thanks in advance.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Open Google Play Store, look for Google Keyboard, and Uninstall Updates. Then, making sure your Google Play Store is using your regular Google account (and not your Google Apps for Business account), find Google Keyboard again and tap Update. I'm not sure if this will do anything, but I wonder if it's possible that updating the keyboard under the Google Apps for Business account might be causing the problem.

djshack

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
My understanding is that if you have a Google business account on your phone, the keyboard won't sync (even if you have another Google account). I suppose it's a security tactic or something to make businesses happy?

djshack

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
My understanding is that if you have a Google business account on your phone, the keyboard won't sync (even if you have another Google account). I suppose it's a security tactic or something to make businesses happy?
I guess I was wrong. Even without my work account, I can't sync keyboard settings. Any ideas?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Do you mean that you removed the Google Apps for Business account from the phone, and Google Keyboard still won't sync?

Kevin Harvell

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I always just presumed the keyboard does not sync.

It's a shame that business users who actually pay for GApps do not get all the benefits of Google Services like keyboard backup.

Posted via the most excellent Nexus 6P using the equally excellent Android Central App

FJSx

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Same topic, new scenario.
The goal here is to sync the keyboard from an Android 5.1 device to an Android 6.0 device.
Can a

flyboy06

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
If you have a Samsung device with Secure Folder installed, uninstall Secure Folder then you can enable keyboard sync. Hopefully it will stay synced after you reinstall secure folder.

flyboy06

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Update: For Samsung devices with latest Secure Folder, Google Keyboard dictionary sync gives a false error about having a "Work account". The only solution is to uninstall Secure Folder = unacceptable.

Please leave Google feedback about this on the play store reviews and via Feedback from within the keyboard settings menu.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma