Nexus 6P keyboard, tiny fonts, options?

A

AC Question

First question here, go easy on me. Just got my Nexus 6P coming from my Note 3, which I love but it randomly reboots and it's a business phone, not good. Simply put I hate the native keyboard! Swiftkey has very small fonts as well and I don't like a two step process to type an exclamation point and the others and I want a row of numerals. I LOVE the Samsung keyboard. I have big fingers and middle aged eyes that struggle with tiny keyboard fonts. Maybe I'm missing some options in Swiftkey and I really don't have time to endless search through them do to, well, life. Advice please, anyone?

Hammer9274

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
You can change the size on the SwiftKey keyboard to three different sizes, small, medium & large. Then I would try setting your long press rate to 250, 275 or even 300 milliseconds; see how that helps you on the explanations and question marks.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I moved to Fleksy specifically so I could enable a permanent number row. Punctuation is a long press and slide to the character, so pretty quick.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I wish the google keyboard was like the Samsung keyboard. I would love a dedicated number row on the Google keyboard.

I'm using SwiftKey now. It's almost like the Samsung keyboard and you can add a dedicated number row. I love it.

Last edited:

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't mind the Google Keyboard because you can tweak the Vibrate and Long Press.

I love the Material Dark option as well!

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
AOSP keyboard.

ce3ad5bc366e76fa7469484af46e778f.jpg

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I would say to use Swiftkey...three different size keyboards,different colour schemes,delay is adjustable for long press on shift numbers and symbols.I`m 58 and find the customisation invaluable.HTH ,David.

ModernTenshi04

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I'd prefer the Google keyboard to have an option to make the keyboard "narrower", so I can bring the left side a bit closer to the right thus providing easier one handed use.

I know Swiftkey has an option like this, but theirs is a bit too narrow to me. Also didn't like how they handled filling in suggested words, spacing/periods, or deleting words if it guessed incorrectly. I'm just too used to Google's keyboard.

That said, I saw a nifty new keyboard Microsoft is bringing to iOS that I wouldn't mind Android getting as well. The keyboard "fans out" from a corner to make one handed typing more comfortable. Could be nice, and I hear the keyboard on their Windows phones is pretty damn nice. Best part is it's free on iOS, and would hopefully be free on Android if they bring it over.

Chezsu

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
I like the Google keyboard but I can't or didn't want to get used to the predictive text difference from the Sony or SwiftKey keyboards.

For example if I type the word correctly it will replicate the correct spelling in the middle of the three predictive text boxes on the SwiftKey and Sony boards which I then press.
However on Google keyboard a correctly spelt word would be different in all of the predictive boxes meaning I have to press the spacebar if I want to enter it.

bgapfire

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
Is it just me or is the Google keyboard too tall? I love the prediction. I enjoy the keyboard but my thumbs have a hard time with the height. I wish they would provide an option to resize.

KillerQ

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I can't WAIT for a keyboard that allows us to use it as a trackpad to freely move the cursor around.

Posted via my Nokia 8210 from the inside of a Kitten.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38