Doze Not Working

nscian12

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Hey Android enthusiasts,
So I have been noticing my Nexus 6p hasn't been getting as stellar battery life as of late. I've had it for maybe 2 months and am having trouble making it through the day with only getting 3 hours of screen on time with mainly texting and some light gaming and video watching normally on WiFi. I decided to do a test last night to see if doze was working and below you'll see my results. Can anyone give me some tips. I'm not looking to do a factory reset but this is frustrating. It doesn't look like there is any one app killing my battery. Bluetooth is on because i use a moto 360.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 13979.jpg
    13979.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 244

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
A couple of more common apps that cause issues are GasBuddy, WeatherBug and MyRadar -- they keep the phone awake so long as Bluetooth is on (even if inactive). Unfortunately, Android doesn't show these apps as using battery, for some reason it tends to report wakelocks under Android System or OS. Another battery app, such as GSam or Wakelock Detector will do a better job of showing the app causing the issue, though even then you may need to be rooted for them to fully work.

nscian12

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Just uninstalled WeatherBug I'll let you know the details on improvement, thank you

nscian12

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Quite a bit better, I'm at about 65% brightness and watched an hour+ of Netflix and YouTube and streamed music

Attachments

• 13981.jpg
    13981.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 211

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Quite a bit better, I'm at about 65% brightness and watched an hour+ of Netflix and YouTube and streamed music

other than the play store updates, that's a lot of notifications on the top left. also 65% brightness with Netflix will drain your battery really quick. hopefully you'll be able to identify a rogue app by continuing to individually uninstall each one ... unfortunately there's no easier way to do that.

that'd be cool if there was an app that did just that, removed apps individually (you could enter which ones and the order) then reported battery statistics once removed after waiting 24 hours. too bad I have no clue how to do that otherwise I would!

Last edited:

mikeoc

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm having this issue too. Battery so far has okay, but less impressive than my former Note 3, and battery dropped 10% overnight. Yesterday I was working from 2-8pm, didnt touch the phone and left it face down, and battery fell from 87% to 65%. I was in an area with very poor signal, which didnt help. Looking at apps, Messenger (facebook) stays awake for over 3hrs when not in use, maybe this is the culprit?

Is it usual also for the app usage %s in Battery setting to not add up to 100%?

mikeoc

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
So, having uninstalled FB Messenger, my phone has now stayed at 100% for the last 1.5hr and I have a nice flat line in the battery graph for the first time - if this sticks, I'll be very happy!

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
So, having uninstalled FB Messenger, my phone has now stayed at 100% for the last 1.5hr and I have a nice flat line in the battery graph for the first time - if this sticks, I'll be very happy!

nice, hopefully that'll do the trick! and yeah, I forget the reason, it was explained to me awhile ago, but it never ads up to 100

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site

Yes, the Facebook apps for Android are terrible for battery, as well as the apps themselves not having all the features of the iOS apps. It seems like most people that really care about battery uninstall Facebook apps and, instead, just access Facebook from a browser.

mikeoc

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
To be fair, I never had this issue on my Note 3 with Facebook or Messenger, but that was running Lollipop. I uninstalled Messenger, but still have Facebook running (but optimised). Happy to report my phone battery is now at 67% 24 hrs later off charge, I had 1hr of SOT yesterday, only dropped 3% overnight while I was asleep, amazing!

Dorknight

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for double comment, do you think AirDroid could be a culprit too? Seems to automatically connect to my PC if I'm home and my PC is awake. I usually keep AirDroid running. I probably should turn it off before going to bed, and see if I get the same results...

kenorian

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Wow.... removed WeatherBug - and what a difference!! GSAM has been showing ridiculous amount of screen time.

Weatherbug gone - and things are back to normal.

adam9997

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm really surprised that Weatherbug hasn't addressed this issue. It's been well documented for a while now.

Dorknight

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
To be fair, I never had this issue on my Note 3 with Facebook or Messenger, but that was running Lollipop. I uninstalled Messenger, but still have Facebook running (but optimised). Happy to report my phone battery is now at 67% 24 hrs later off charge, I had 1hr of SOT yesterday, only dropped 3% overnight while I was asleep, amazing!
Facebook and Messenger only show like 1% battery usage for me usually. So I don't think it'd an issue on the 6P anymore. Both apps show up as optimized.

jojoe42

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
Does anyone know if there are issues with the product "tile" interrupting doze?

I don't have a Tile but I have a similar product called XYtag (bluetooth tracking beacon) and yes, their app does drain my battery a lot faster. I did a week with the app and tag paired and a week without, here are the results:

With the app & tags paired
7eb7bb1c394ca68ccef67699298363f2.jpg

Without app & tags paired
6e51a1b5cb62c543c08d04a10852e9c2.jpg

The screen on times for those two are different, but I've noticed I'm usually on around 40% with 2-3 of SOT as opposed to 20% with the app. I've got a feeling it's the combination of bluetooth wakelocks and the app waking to make sure the tags are paired to the phone. I guess the Tile app would have the same effect?

Also for anyone struggling with battery life, try a different launcher. I switched from Google Now Launcher to Action Launcher 3 and the Google app has since dropped off my battery usage list

Dorknight

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I got mine to Doze last night! Only lost 2%. Either it was the WiFi Always On feature which I changed to Only while charging. Or it was a setting I changed for Light Manager which controls my LED notification light. Think it was causing wake locks.