Nexus 6P - Why can't I get international data roaming (on Verizon)?

kenorian

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Took my first international trip since getting the 6P. I called to add international services. In the Bahamas, I can get voice, but no data.

I spent a hour hour on the phone with VZW, but they were unable to assist. Took the SIM out, rebooted, checked a dozen settings - nothing.

This is the first negative experience I've had with the phone.

Anyone else have experience with this, or have any thoughts/ideas?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Can't get international data roaming (on Verizon)

Did you check to see if the carrier taking over in the Bahamas supports the data frequencies in your phone? I think, at least, you should have been able to get 2g speeds (Edge), but more likely 3g. 4g/LTE is a little trickier. Or maybe your phone was forcing using a network with no data support (for instance, on T-Mobile while roaming in Mexico, the main network is Telcel, but should this one fail (which it did sometime after New Year's) you have to manually force the phone to connect to Movistar's god-awful network... if you leave this forced, every time you go back the phone would try to connect to Movistar and not the 'main' roaming network, Telcel, which could hinder your ability to use data services).

Were your phone's settings blocking Data Roaming or disabling mobile data while roaming?

One final point, and one you don't have much control over, I'm afraid, is if the carrier in the Bahamas supports data for Verizon roaming devices (some carriers only 'lease' their voice networks, some others give out very limited data slots for roaming users).

sternweezy

May 7, 2010
Visit site

I assume they told you to turn on 'Data Roaming' and set the 'Preferred Network Type' to Global? Both of these settings are under 'Cellular Network Settings'. I was just in Mexico and my phone worked flawlessly there with Verizon (Telcel).

kenorian

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

I assume they told you to turn on 'Data Roaming' and set the 'Preferred Network Type' to Global? Both of these settings are under 'Cellular Network Settings'. I was just in Mexico and my phone worked flawlessly there with Verizon (Telcel).

Yes to data roaming, and tried both global and GSM/LTE.

Posted via the Android Central App

kenorian

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

Did you check to see if the carrier taking over in the Bahamas supports the data frequencies in your phone? I think, at least, you should have been able to get 2g speeds (Edge), but more likely 3g. 4g/LTE is a little trickier. Or maybe your phone was forcing using a network with no data support (for instance, on T-Mobile while roaming in Mexico, the main network is Telcel, but should this one fail (which it did sometime after New Year's) you have to manually force the phone to connect to Movistar's god-awful network... if you leave this forced, every time you go back the phone would try to connect to Movistar and not the 'main' roaming network, Telcel, which could hinder your ability to use data services).

Were your phone's settings blocking Data Roaming or disabling mobile data while roaming?

One final point, and one you don't have much control over, I'm afraid, is if the carrier in the Bahamas supports data for Verizon roaming devices (some carriers only 'lease' their voice networks, some others give out very limited data slots for roaming users).

I have work Issued Galaxy S5 on Verizon. Tried to use the same settings that are successful on that phone. No joy.

Phone settings are are set to allow data roaming.....

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

If I remember a little while back, since the phone is not "supported" in VZW's system, that international plan has issues working with the phone.

I think I read that someone had to put their SIM back into an older VZW, activate the international plan and then put the SIM back in the 6P and it worked.

EDIT: found the thread that i created about it.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=618346

kenorian

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

If I remember a little while back, since the phone is not "supported" in VZW's system, that international plan has issues working with the phone.

I think I read that someone had to put their SIM back into an older VZW, activate the international plan and then put the SIM back in the 6P and it worked.

Hmmmm, that's interesting. Will try it when I get back home.

kenorian

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

We'll, I tried this when I went home. I'm in England now and..... It works!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Why can't I get international data roaming (on Verizon)?

Yeiii!!! Wonder why you have to do the SIM trick, though.

Gerardo Quintana

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Re: Why can't I get international data roaming (on Verizon)?

Similar to the issue you mentioned with Telcel and Movistar, I had to force my phone to connect to Movistar when Telcel had issues and now no matter how many times I force it to Telcel, it keeps connecting automatically to Moistar everytime I am in Mexico, any ideas on how to ensure that it picks Telcel as the preferred roaming option in this case?

Thanks

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance