Give me some tips! Nexus 6P from Note 5

opeycunningham

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Sorry this is long.

After being an Apple/Mac/iPhone devotee since forever (still am), I got a Note 4 and finally switched completely (2 devices with separate OSes is a burden) with the Note 5. I had an HTC One back when but went back to iPhone then cause it was too clunky with the OS. Fast forward, I love the Note 5--mostly--but I notice it's sometimes laggy and wonky, and the dreaded pants-pocket-accidents wherein ALL THE SETTINGS AND THEMER CUSTOMIZATION GETS CHANGED. Haha. Also, I've pretty much had it with the battery life. I'm a pretty vigorous user of my device, and having to charge it sometimes twice a day is really tiresome. I keep telling myself it's kind of weighty and unwieldy, I don't really use the S-pen that much after all, etc....

Anyway, those are all excuses. The point is, I finally admitted to myself something my carrier knew all along: I just love phones and tech. Something about those 30-odd (Handspring Treo anyone?) devices ready to tumble out of the closet if one but opens the door.

I took the plunge and ordered the Nexus 6P, slate gray -- so as not to be too noticeable that I have yet another phone.

But I have no idea really how to start--how to transfer stuff, what to do, what are some good apps...thankfully most of my stuff is stored in online repositories that share apps, but what's the first thing to do when I get the phone Monday? Help me get the full experience.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
first thing: put a case on it cause it's slippery. and hopefully you got insurance cause replacing the display without it is a pain.

I ordered the Nexus microfiber case which I like and got Nexus Protect. Also grabbed the clear Spigen slim case.

first apps I installed: Nova Prime, Google Opinions Rewards, myMail, My Passwords and Light Flow

I had put on a TGSP and took it off the next day. It fit fine, but I just prefer the look and feel of the natural glass.

opeycunningham

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, @getbretweir! I did order 2 spigen cases and a protector. I know about the screens. I've to replace a couple of screens in the past and the touch functions are never the same.

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
The note 5 is significantly smaller then the 6p since the 6p has way bigger bezels. I've had both and switched back and forth, I can say the usage while using the phones is very similar, but the standby on the 6p is on another level with Android doze. I like features of both phones but it comes down to a few things with me. I wireless tether a couple hundred gigs a month so I know I'll never lose it with the 6p but on the note if foxfi is ever down or Verizon ever patches it I'm screwed. Second, the preloaded crap on the phone just kills it for me, especially because its Verizon. I had to remove candy crush and panda pop. Not to mention about 10 Verizon apps that come preloaded some you can't even delete.

I do miss a few things though. The size. I like that it's a little smaller but packs the same screen size. The pen, even though I didn't use it much it was nice to have it as an option. The accessories, everyone at my work has micro usb cables but if you ever need to charge and don't have a cable there's a 99% chance no one else has a charger like yours. Case availability is no where near as good as a mainstream phone like a note 5. I also miss being able to use Samsung pay to pay literally anywhere. It seems like 20% of the places I go support Android pay when I could pay anywhere before. All in all I'm glad I kept the 6p

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay