Nexus 6P - Facebook is such garbage

May 3, 2015
Visit site
So, I uninstalled Facebook and Facebook messenger from my 6p and installed metal and use the pitch black theme and went from 2.5 hours SOT to 4 hours. Sad Facebook, very sad.

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Facebook is such garbage

Very old news, unfortunately. Facebook has always been known as a good example of how to not write an app.

KillerQ

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

The mobile Chrome browser now supports push notifications, so you can stay logged into Facebook, still get your notifications, yet save a ton on battery life.

Posted via my Nokia 8210 from the inside of a Kitten.

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site

So, I uninstalled Facebook and Facebook messenger from my 6p and installed metal and use the pitch black theme and went from 2.5 hours SOT to 4 hours. Sad Facebook, very sad.

thanks for letting us know about Metal, didn't even know about it before.

I installed it now and uninstalled Fenix and Facebook since it does both Twitter and FB.

Now my question is, if one has Facebook always closed and disabled it from running in the background and disabled notifications, how does it stuck battery still?

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
thanks for letting us know about Metal, didn't even know about it before.

I installed it now and uninstalled Fenix and Facebook since it does both Twitter and FB.

Now my question is, if one has Facebook always closed and disabled it from running in the background and disabled notifications, how does it stuck battery still?

Ugh, I had Fenix installed for the black theme but quickly uninstalled it when I noticed Cell Standby was at 10% within the hour I'd installed. Cell Standby had always been at 1% for me, so I use the main Twitter app. Fenix went bye bye. I can't seem to get Facebook Chrome notifications to work for messages, though, so I can get rid of Messenger.

63MM

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site

The mobile Chrome browser now supports push notifications, so you can stay logged into Facebook, still get your notifications, yet save a ton on battery life.

Posted via my Nokia 8210 from the inside of a Kitten.

Any way to play videos from the mobile app?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Yeah the FB app has never been really any good. If anything it is easier to use the mobile website versus their app sometimes lol.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site

I agree that Metal is an excellent alternative. I decided to pay for Metal Pro to support the developer and for those of you that end up using it regularly, I would encourage you do the same. You get a very clean material design to the actual news feed with the Pro version but otherwise, it's the same as the free version. I just think it's so important to support these developers when you can.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I agree that Metal is an excellent alternative. I decided to pay for Metal Pro to support the developer and for those of you that end up using it regularly, I would encourage you do the same. You get a very clean material design to the actual news feed with the Pro version but otherwise, it's the same as the free version. I just think it's so important to support these developers when you can.

Hmm I am tempted to try this out. I only log into Facebook once a day. I actually log out of the app so it doesn't do anything in the background .. so if I had a nice app that didn't suck for FB.. that would be cool :D.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Hmm I am tempted to try this out. I only log into Facebook once a day. I actually log out of the app so it doesn't do anything in the background .. so if I had a nice app that didn't suck for FB.. that would be cool :D.

I'm thinking about just using the mobile site. Since I get notifications through chrome anyway, plus they come before the crappy fB app. I think I'm going to uninstall it today, I want to see if the b battery life is any better.

anon(156377)

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

I deleted Facebook a long time ago and noticed the same increase in battery life. Might sound dumb, but I "feel better" now that I don't have it on my phone. Forces me to use the desktop which allows me to control my time more effectively.

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

I use FB to sync a few games I play. Is there a way to do this w/ Metal or any other app? I don't mind using Chrome for FB browsing but I do want my few games to be tied to something.

queenren

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site

I use FB to sync a few games I play. Is there a way to do this w/ Metal or any other app? I don't mind using Chrome for FB browsing but I do want my few games to be tied to something.
Good question. I use Facebook to sign into a bunch of apps unfortunately. It's easier to deal with.

anon(92475)

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site

I prefer Folio for Facebook. I've been using it for about two weeks now with no problems.

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

I also use Facebook to sign into some games, and you can still do even if you don't have the app installed. At least it works for me.

koves

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site

Deleted the Facebook app and just use chrome now. My battery is thanking me

queenren

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site

Does it really make that much difference in the battery life? I guess it's just so hard to believe that the makers of Facebook would write such an awful app.

Last edited:

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

I also use Facebook to sign into some games, and you can still do even if you don't have the app installed. At least it works for me.

No kidding?? So when you do this, does it just prompt you for your Facebook username and password?

This is good info none the less. Might have to try it out just want a few more details.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs