PIN Required for Added Security?

RG129

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Has anybody experienced random times where you try to unlock with your fingerprint, but the phone says "PIN Required for Added Security" or something similar. I know I haven't had too many failed fingerprint attempts. I also don't think my phone randomly restarts because the PIN prompt from a restart says "PIN Required after Restart" or something like that.

Has anybody had to occasionally type in their PIN after a fingerprint read?

RG129

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Not for restarts. Sometimes it happens with the phone already powered up and not after failed fingerprint attempts.

jim1405

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
It happens seemingly at random with my 6P. I've never been able to figure out any correlation between the PIN requests and anything I've done on the phone.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Happens to mine too. Probably some security feature google implemented. Also it doesn't do it with a pattern, only pin unlock.
Entering my pin periodically is ok with me.

sickspee 👌

ChinChillaz

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
Happens to me randomly as well don't know why. My phone is already booted up for a day or two and when I go to wake it it asks me for my password.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I haven't had mine request the PIN yet, even with set up for finger print
So far the only time I have to enter the PIN. It's when phone has been turned off and then back on.

But with others seeing it, I will keep a lookout for it :)

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Happens with mine also, not sure exactly what's causing it but I don't have a problem with it.

The way I see it, being prompted for it periodically helps to remember the PIN, though I use the same one on my tablet so it's harder to forget. This would cut down on the "I forgot my PIN and now can't get into my phone after rebooting" posts.

BattleSwine

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
During start up. Also if I use power button to shut the screen down requires Pin. Which I really like. As well as if I leave it smart locked overnight. Not sure the exact time limit but I'm guessing 8 hours.

Posted via nexus 6p project FI

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Usually happens to me once a week mainly after I haven't touched it in awhile. I'll pick it up, use fingerprint to unlock and it will ask for my pin. No rhyme or reason but I'm cool with it