Are there any other TYPE C, Rapid Charging Power Banks out there? (portable batteries)

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I am going on another international trip and I literally have 3 Power Banks (batteries) but they are all the standard USB, regular charging types. I have been looking for one that is both USB-C and standard USB AND uses fast charging. I need to be able to charge my tablet and my phone.

I found this one but it's really expensive. Are any of you using that one? Is it worth it? Do you know of any others?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Not that I know of. I have an Anker 15,000 mAh unit with regular USB ports, I think I paid $30 for it. I agree that double that (when you factor the discount) is a bit much when you consider it's only 30% higher capacity.

Why not just use a USB-A to USB-C cable and get a 1.5A charge rate? Just make sure it's a spec-compliant cable as you don't want that battery melting down.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Why not just use a USB-A to USB-C cable and get a 1.5A charge rate? Just make sure it's a spec-compliant cable as you don't want that battery melting down.

I have the cables to do that but it would be mighty helpful to have the fast charging when I'm on a 12 hour long haul flight. I've managed pretty much fine with the old school power banks in the past but now I have this option of fast charging and I'd like to use it.

I wonder why other companies aren't jumping into this? It leaves Anker is a great position - they can charge whatever they want.

kenorian

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Anker has 10, 000 and 20,000 ma models. I have the 20K with USB C. It fast charges and I've had zero problems with it on two recent international trips I took.

Posted via the Android Central App

Slow_S10

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
RAVPower has one too. It's not much cheaper though. Hopefully USB type-C accessories will start coming down in price soon but for now you've gotta pay to play.

Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 + USB-C Port] RAVPower 20100mAh Portable Charger (Quick Charge Input & Output; Type-C Port)
http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0156HCJQO

I also just found this one. It's half the capacity but also half the price. I am not familiar with this company but so far it appears to have good reviews so it might be worth a shot...

ORICO USB Portable External Battery, 10400mAh Power Bank, Qualcomm Certificated Quick Charger2.0 - Space Gray (Q1) (10400)

Link: http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B018VK1TAU

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys. I am going to leave the Anker and RavPower units in my cart and see if they come down in price before May. Otherwise, I may just buy one anyway. LOL!