Android N Developer Preview

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Ok for those with a 6P that has the preview installed. Straight answer, is it stable?

Posted via the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking about using it on the 6P but I opted for the 6. Now I'm trying to figure out how to fix my 6. Good thing it's a backup phone. How does it feel?

So far it isn't horrible but you can tell it is a preview (which I knew very well before installing). It is definitely "janky" when it comes to movements. I haven't run into any issues with it functioning yet but only been an hour or so. They say the more it runs the more issues so I will reboot it often probably.

I am getting an S7 Edge tomorrow so I will use that as my main for awhile as I play with N on the 6P .. So I didn't mind some bugs.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Ok for those with a 6P that has the preview installed. Straight answer, is it stable?

It definitely isn't stable. The guys (Jerry and them) have said it isn't -- even Google says so on their website. I will quote below.

Support and Release Notes | Android Developers

General advisories

This Developer Preview release is for app developers only and is designed for use in compatibility testing and early development only. Please be aware of these general notes about the release:

• This release has various stability and performance issues on all devices that make it not suitable for daily use on phone or tablet, especially for non-developers.
  • System and app performance is known to be periodically slow / janky, and device may become occasionally unresponsive. These problems may become more acute with prolonged use.
  • Battery life may be regressed in this release for screen-on and screen-off use cases.
  • Some apps may not function normally on Developer Preview 1. This includes Google’s apps as well as other apps.
  • This early build is not Compatibility Test Suite (CTS) approved. Apps that depend on CTS approved builds (Android Pay for example) won’t work.
  • This preview release supports the following devices: Nexus 5X, Nexus 6, Nexus 6P, Nexus 9, Nexus Player, and Pixel C.

So far for me no major issues but it hasn't been long. You can definitely see the janky feeling they're talking about.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
It definitely isn't stable. The guys (Jerry and them) have said it isn't -- even Google says so on their website. I will quote below.

Support and Release Notes | Android Developers

So far for me no major issues but it hasn't been long. You can definitely see the janky feeling they're talking about.

This beta bricked my nexus 6. So I'm proceeding with caution.

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm using it on my 6P right now as well, but to be fair I'm using a Note 5 as a daily driver still. So far it has been smooth, haven't seen any errors yet. I definitely would not have installed the preview if the 6P was my only phone though.

xiLLeNtz

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I've had it installed for a bit over 24 hours now ...

• Some apps appear to be broken or not fully functional (my banking app doesn't even open)
  • In terms of stock apps I've found that the Play Store randomly crashes and the viewfinder on the camera is blurry [SEE HERE FOR MY EXAMPLE]
  • Sometimes performance does feel hindered. Like the device will lag.
  • Going off my previous note I've seen my keyboard lag really bad two or three times
  • One noticable thing is that when there are menus that OVER LAY the app your using then there's a chance it won't load properly .. this one is kind of hard to explain. But a good example is if you try and uninstall an app by dragging it from your home screen to the top of the screen. The prompt that is supposed to pop-up doesn't load properly. And any other prompts similar in apps you use will cause a similar problem.
  • Battery life doesn't really feel any different lol.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well... those are basically caused by a lack of optimization. This is an EARLY build.. .typically we don't get these until I/O in May... when the software is getting really close to final (if already done). They are still getting features in there now, cleaning things up comes last.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I had plenty of bugs when I was on the Developer Preview 1 for L and M.

And those previews didn't drop until much later in the dev cycle. LP was a lot more rought (makes sense, there was a lot more low level stuff changed). The first M preview was a bit wonky and the final two previews appeared to be 'feature complete' builds that they released.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
And those previews didn't drop until much later in the dev cycle. LP was a lot more rought (makes sense, there was a lot more low level stuff changed). The first M preview was a bit wonky and the final two previews appeared to be 'feature complete' builds that they released.
Very true. Not complaining about them. Always bugs when you build something new. I was more illustrating that the first release is usually a bit rough around the edges.

xiLLeNtz

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Well... those are basically caused by a lack of optimization. This is an EARLY build.. .typically we don't get these until I/O in May... when the software is getting really close to final (if already done). They are still getting features in there now, cleaning things up comes last.

Haha yeah, I know that. I can't tell if I want to tough it out and keep playing with N or go back to Marshmallow. I finally started getting into the hang of multitasking! The only reason I consider reverting back is the camera.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Haha yeah, I know that. I can't tell if I want to tough it out and keep playing with N or go back to Marshmallow.

That's why I am glad I have my Nexus 6 nearby... screens cracked, but at least this way I can play with N without having to deal with a buggy daily driver.

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
downgrade from N dev beta to M

Anyone able to do the OTA "update" that brings your phone back to a stable version of M from N?

The update to N appeared instantly, and I'm not seeing the same for when I un-enrolled. Just curious if anyone else tried yet???

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
My 6 is bricked. I tried using wug to try and push the ota, so far no go. I'm going to have to use the SDK and try it next.

EthaGod

Jul 19, 2015
Visit site
Re: downgrade from N dev beta to M

I tried it and I'm still waiting for the Ota to come to take me back to marshmallow

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech