What is the magic spot for Android Pay?

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I am having trouble and quite frankly frustrated with the Android Pay experience.

It works sometimes and it doesn't. I am unable to find the magic spot where I should tap. And it seems like, unlike Apple Pay, I have unlock the phone first and then place the phone on the scanner. Apple Pay is way easier.

Am I missing something or is it just hard to use Android Pay?

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I've only used my 6P a couple times for Android Pay(at Best Buy), but I didn't have to tap at all. Just hold the upper half close over the terminal sensor area. Think it's pretty much the area between fingerprint scanner and the camera lens. And I think I did have to have it unlocked, since putting your finger on the 6P sensor unlocks the phone, while with the iPhone you have to push the button to unlock, but it can still scan your finger without pushing it, so you don't have to actually unlock the device to scan your finger for a transaction. I guess that is one advantage to putting the sensor in the button. Not that unlocking the phone is that big of deal.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I am having trouble and quite frankly frustrated with the Android Pay experience.

It works sometimes and it doesn't. I am unable to find the magic spot where I should tap. And it seems like, unlike Apple Pay, I have unlock the phone first and then place the phone on the scanner. Apple Pay is way easier.

Am I missing something or is it just hard to use Android Pay?

Android Pay is not hard to use at all. I've used it everywhere Apple pay is used without issue. You simply hold the phone next to the or slightly above the terminal depending on where it is located and that's it. No muss, no fuss, simple and easy. Don't know why your having so many issues.......

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I tried few times today, it looks like the NFC is located in the at the middle of the phone, not at the top where the camera is. This is awkward position if you consider the size of the phone.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
And also, how do I setup Android Pay to show the available cards so I can pick the one I want during payment? Currently, it is by default taking the default card for payment.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
And also, how do I setup Android Pay to show the available cards so I can pick the one I want during payment? Currently, it is by default taking the default card for payment.

Click on the Android Pay app to open, AP is set to make a payment based off of the card you chose to be your default payment. If you want to use another card, before your purchase simply add the card if not added already, tap on the card you want to pay with and towards the bottom of the screen you will see, "set as default card", exit the app and use Android Pay.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I tried few times today, it looks like the NFC is located in the at the middle of the phone, not at the top where the camera is. This is awkward position if you consider the size of the phone.

And the NFC coil for the 6P is located at the top of the phone behind the glass camera housing not the middle. Simply place the top of the phone at or near the NFC terminal and the transaction should complete. Works for me every time. Hope this helps.

Cold_Funky

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
Forgive me if this is not helpful, but I have had issues using NFC with my case on (SUPCASE slim hybrid) the phone. Even transferring from my 6P to my LG G2, the G2 case doesn't interfere but I have to remove the SUPCASE from the 6P. If you have a case, have you tried without it? It doesn't seem to have a very strong signal.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I don't have a case. But today I just tried it and worked flawlessly. I was using Samsung Pay and I have to say Samsung's experience is way better.

The frustrating thing is that I am unable to select the card I want to pay unless I open the app in which case it defeats the purpose. I could just open my wallet instead, same effort.

Posted via the Android Central App

jdot104

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
My one criticism of Android Pay is that you don't have to authorize anything when the payment is made as long as the phone is unlocked. That doesn't really make sense, but I still think it's fairly safe. I've always gotten it to work by tapping the camera bar on the receiver.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci