Google Now/Search giving me fits!

mystiphi

May 26, 2011
Visit site
For the last few weeks I've noticed that from time to time that Google Now and Voice Search stops working. I figured out it doesn't require a restart. I have to close the Google app via the recent apps then it works fine.

It's so frustrating because half the time I attempt to use "ok Google", the microphone pops up but the app can't register any sound. It's not just the mic. Just opening Google Now or typing in the search bar widget gives no response, cards, recent history, nothing. Until I close the app and reopen it.

Is anyone else getting this? Is it possible to uninstall and reinstall the Google app without essentially going thru the setup process again?

Last edited:

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
For the last few weeks I've noticed that from time to time that Google Now and Voice Search stops working. I figured out it doesn't require a restart. I have to choose the Google app via the recent apps then it works fine.

It's so frustrating because half the time I attempt to use "ok Google", the microphone pops up but the app can't register any sound. It's not just the mic. Just opening Google Now or typing in the search bar widget gives no response, cards, recent history, nothing. Until I close the app and reopen it.

Is anyone else getting this? Is it possible to uninstall and reinstall the Google app without essentially going thru the setup process again?

Do you mean you go over to Google now and it's just a blank page? If that's the case you can do 1 of 2 things.

Go to settings in Google now, click on cards. Turn cards off, but don't hit accept. Hit the back button to go back to the Google now page and refresh it. It'll work a lil bit after.

There other thing to do is go into settings, apps, find the Google app in the list, and force stop it. It'll reset the launcher, you won't lose any settings, but everything will work again.

Sometimes my Google now just doesn't work, kind of aggravating, it's happened occasionally I think it started in lollipop somewhere.

Posted via the Android Central App

mystiphi

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I'll try to force stop it next time. The settings are all correct. It just decided to go AWOL from time to time. Strange to me... Especially on a Nexus device.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Might warrant a cache flush... Under the storage settings. Don't flash the app data, you'll lose your homescreen layout.. Just flush the app caches and reboot and give that a whirl.