Nexus 6P Bad Battery Life, What Can I Do?

A

AC Question

Nexus 6P Bad Battery Life

I bought a Nexus 6P used on Swappa.com for a pretty great deal at $410 for a 64gb. I had a Moto X Pure edition and it was getting generally terrible battery life and I knew the 6P had great battery life generally about 5 hours screen on time, so I picked up this one. Ever since I got my 6P it hasn't been getting near those figures. I can generally manage around 3-3 and a half hours of screen on time but that's it and I have factory reset, set as new device and nothing has changed it I still can't pull those kinds of numbers. Do y'all think my battery is defective or something? I generally make it through the day but I want those amazing battery figures because it's a big reason I bought
this phone in the first place.

Adam Zeis

Adminstrator
Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: Nexus 6P Bad Battery Life

Hard to say when it comes to battery. Everyone is going to vary depending on their personal usage. You can always check out your battery stats and see if something is eating it up, but yes, there is a possibility the battery may be wonky. Keep in mind it's hard to diagnose battery life from device to device.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I get just over 3 hours SOT on most days. Sometimes less but never more.

That's simply dismal. I also came to the 6p from an MX Pure 2015, and I used to get 4 hours SOT on THAT device regularly. If I was only getting 3 on this one, I have to say I think I'd return it. There is simply *no reason* why a device with stock Android and a 3500 mah battery should be such a poor performer. My better halfs note 5 tends to get around 5 with all that bloatware on it for crissakes (same size QHD screen too). This is why I'm staying on the January security patch for a bit longer. I've gotten over 6 hours of SOT and I don't want to mess up how great this phone runs with the March patch (which quite a few ppl have reported problems with).

Anyway...my recommendations:

1. Try clearing the app cache if you updated recently (saw this suggested in another thread).

2. I keep the screen at about 25-30% brightness. That really is bright enough in nearly all circumstances except direct sunlight. Trust me, you get used to it lol...

3. Download "network mode" from the play store. Use H+ rather than LTE whenever you can (this assumes you're on T-Mobile or ATT). LTE radios drain the battery faster, and H/H+ is plenty fast enough for audio and video. I'm on Verizon and it's either LTE or 3G...and I often use 3g. I only turn on LTE when I want to stream video.

4. Turn off Bluetooth scanning

5. Make sure locations is always on battery saver unless youre actively using maps.

Hope some of this helps.

C.

Nexus 6P

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

It seems like feast or famine with the battery on this phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

jbergsing

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
My suggestion would be to drain it until the phone shuts down and then charge it until it's full. I don't know if that will help but it's worth a try. If that doesn't work, as much as I hate to suggest it, do a factory reset. If that doesn't work, look into getting the battery replaced.

I am assuming you are not one of those who allow every app on your phone notification access. That will seriously chew up battery life.

Jcblack3310

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
That's simply dismal. I also came to the 6p from an MX Pure 2015, and I used to get 4 hours SOT on THAT device regularly. If I was only getting 3 on this one, I have to say I think I'd return it. There is simply *no reason* why a device with stock Android and a 3500 mah battery should be such a poor performer. My better halfs note 5 tends to get around 5 with all that bloatware on it for crissakes (same size QHD screen too). This is why I'm staying on the January security patch for a bit longer. I've gotten over 6 hours of SOT and I don't want to mess up how great this phone runs with the March patch (which quite a few ppl have reported problems with).

Anyway...my recommendations:

1. Try clearing the app cache if you updated recently (saw this suggested in another thread).

2. I keep the screen at about 25-30% brightness. That really is bright enough in nearly all circumstances except direct sunlight. Trust me, you get used to it lol...

3. Download "network mode" from the play store. Use H+ rather than LTE whenever you can (this assumes you're on T-Mobile or ATT). LTE radios drain the battery faster, and H/H+ is plenty fast enough for audio and video. I'm on Verizon and it's either LTE or 3G...and I often use 3g. I only turn on LTE when I want to stream video.

4. Turn off Bluetooth scanning

5. Make sure locations is always on battery saver unless youre actively using maps.

Hope some of this helps.

C.

Nexus 6P

Essentially turn off every feature of the phone. What's the point of having all the bells and whistles if you can't use it.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Essentially turn off every feature of the phone. What's the point of having all the bells and whistles if you can't use it.

Not at all.

You won't miss Bluetooth scanning
You don't need your phone on 100% brightness all the time (really... you don't)
The phone works swimmingly with location on battery saver (the feature is there for a reason)
I admit lots of folks will blanch at not using LTE, but if being on HSPA allows you to do literally everything LTE does (stream web, music, and video), what's the big deal? Do you need it on just for bragging rights?

You go ahead and take a stand on principle by not paying attention to battery saving options; I'll use those options and continue to enjoy my phone and better battery life simultaneously :)

Nexus 6P

RTD212

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site

How do I turn on 3g only with this app? I have Verizon too.. Thanks

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
How do I turn on 3g only with this app? I have Verizon too.. Thanks

There's a little drop down menu about halfway down the screen. Choose "CDMA auto (prl)"....

Only issue is if you shut the phone off it will default back to LTE. I use 3g for everything except when I want to watch video.

Nexus 6P

RTD212

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
There's a little drop down menu about halfway down the screen. Choose "CDMA auto (prl)"....

Only issue is if you shut the phone off it will default back to LTE. I use 3g for everything except when I want to watch video.

Nexus 6P

Thanks! This fixed my issue with the phone not staying connected to my network extender! Wow thanks!

Yatezy

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Google Now is particularly big battery drain so if you don't use it make sure it is off. And if you do use it, make sure Ok Google from every screen is switched off.

justmikey

May 22, 2013
Visit site

2c00db2e472c698f813a31d5441dae23.jpg

I have been wanting a 6P since it came out. I went from a Nexus 4 to a Note 4 to an iPhone 6s Plus. I hated touch wiz and the fact that I had to wait for over a year to get Lollipop on my Note 4 when Google was just releasing Marshmallow. So due to a super discount from work I got a crazy deal on the 6s plus. The Battery is amazing!! And it's the only thing keeping me from switching. On my Note 4 I would get about 5 hours screen time on average. With the 6s Plus I'm getting between 8 and 10 hours of usage/ screen on time!!! It's sick!! The attached pic was taken just now. I disconnected from charge this morning at about 5:30am and it's almost 11:30pm and I have 9% remaining. And this isn't with the power saver feature turned on either. I really miss the android OS and feature set and really like the 6P but don't want to sacrifice great battery time. Thoughts??

bigsmoke79

May 8, 2014
Visit site

That's some pretty impressive SOT numbers I have to say!

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160407/2c00db2e472c698f813a31d5441dae23.jpg

I have been wanting a 6P since it came out. I went from a Nexus 4 to a Note 4 to an iPhone 6s Plus. I hated touch wiz and the fact that I had to wait for over a year to get Lollipop on my Note 4 when Google was just releasing Marshmallow. So due to a super discount from work I got a crazy deal on the 6s plus. The Battery is amazing!! And it's the only thing keeping me from switching. On my Note 4 I would get about 5 hours screen time on average. With the 6s Plus I'm getting between 8 and 10 hours of usage/ screen on time!!! It's sick!! The attached pic was taken just now. I disconnected from charge this morning at about 5:30am and it's almost 11:30pm and I have 9% remaining. And this isn't with the power saver feature turned on either. I really miss the android OS and feature set and really like the 6P but don't want to sacrifice great battery time. Thoughts??

I thought usage in OIS was the equivalent of active usage in GSAM. That is a combination of SOT and an active CPU doing something like listening to music, or a podcast or a phone call while the screen is off. If that is the case, a lot of Android phones get 8 to 10 hours of active usage. If you add up the screen on time of all the apps listed that isn't close to 8 hours.

Last edited:

justmikey

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I thought usage in OIS was the equivalent of active usage in GSAM. That is a combination of SOT and an active CPU doing something like listening to music, or a podcast or a phone call while the screen is off. If that is the case, a lot of Android phones get 8 to 10 hours of active usage. If you add up the screen on time of all the apps listed that isn't close to 8 hours.

This is good to know. Thanks!! My biggest concern is battery life. The Note 4 was pretty good at getting me through the day but I did have to charge it midday otherwise it would die on me on my commute home. The 6s plus makes it from morning to bedtime (usually 17-18 hour days) with a charge remaining (usually 3%-20%) And that's with Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, and frequent heavy use throughout the day. And location services, Bluetooth, and wifi on all day. If the 6P could do the same I'm all in for trading up.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
This is good to know. Thanks!! My biggest concern is battery life. The Note 4 was pretty good at getting me through the day but I did have to charge it midday otherwise it would die on me on my commute home. The 6s plus makes it from morning to bedtime (usually 17-18 hour days) with a charge remaining (usually 3%-20%) And that's with Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, and frequent heavy use throughout the day. And location services, Bluetooth, and wifi on all day. If the 6P could do the same I'm all in for trading up.

The S7 edge with that 3,600 mAh battery would do it no problem. The 6P seems spotty at best. Some brag about 5 hours+ SOT and all day usage as you describe. Others are barely getting 3 hours SOT and can't make it to the end of the day with a charge. Doze in Marshmallow really gives you the standby time that OIS has and N will take that a step further. The problem is Nexus monthly updates seem to do more harm than good to battery life it seems. I think this years Nexus with a better SOC and larger battery should get things back on track battery wise so you should probably play it safe and wait for that.

Yatezy

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site

If you don't mind a charge then this thing is great, an hours charge will literally give you full battery life.

I think battery life is ok but if you don't mind tweaking you can get far better battery life.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Which specific app are you referring to? I tried one called that and couldn't figure out how to set it up.

Posted via sheer force of will from my Nexus 6P!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12