My last phone (Samsung Galaxy Note Edge) had the "back" button on the right side (still at the bottom of the screen, of course). Since I typically use the phone with my right hand, it's easier if it's on the right side. My 6p has it on the left side. Since they're virtual buttons (instead of hard buttons), is there an app that can change the "back" buttons side?
    04-02-2016 03:29 AM
    My last phone (Samsung Galaxy Note Edge) had the "back" button on the right side (still at the bottom of the screen, of course). Since I typically use the phone with my right hand, it's easier if it's on the right side. My 6p has it on the left side. Since they're virtual buttons (instead of hard buttons), is there an app that can change the "back" buttons side?
    I think HTC Sense is allows you to change the arrangement of the on screen buttons and even add a fourth button. I think they are the only OEM that does that. You would probably have to root the Nexus to be able to do it since it goes against their design guidelines.

Posted via the Android Central App
    LeoRex likes this.
    04-02-2016 05:46 AM
    You would probably have to root the Nexus to be able to do it since it goes against their design guidelines.
    This... Actually, you usually have to go beyond rooting and flash a custom ROM. Most have advanced nav controls.
    04-02-2016 07:10 AM
    This... Actually, you usually have to go beyond rooting and flash a custom ROM. Most have advanced nav controls.
    It would be interesting if Google would allow the HTC Nexus (if this happens) to change the arrangement. Doubt it.
    04-02-2016 01:26 PM
    It would be interesting if Google would allow the HTC Nexus (if this happens) to change the arrangement. Doubt it.
    That would be cool but doubt it but for all we know navigation keys customization might as well come in Android O (reo)

#TeamFrosty Nexus 6P
    04-02-2016 05:38 PM
    I don't feel comfortable installing a custom ROM. I rooted my Kindle Fire using Kingroot and wasn't even 100% comfortable with that. Guess I'll learn to deal with the buttons the way they are.
    04-02-2016 06:16 PM
    Highly unlikely. The Nexus's button layout is what Google considers the standard. Besides, whomever makes the Nexus has zero input on the software.
    04-02-2016 08:20 PM
    I don't feel comfortable installing a custom ROM. I rooted my Kindle Fire using Kingroot and wasn't even 100% comfortable with that. Guess I'll learn to deal with the buttons the way they are.
    You don't need to install a custom ROM to switch the buttons around. All you need to do is root the phone, install Xposed framework, and use the GravityBox module. It allows you to add a fourth key and assign it to do whatever you want, and you can also assign different actions to double tapping or long pressing any of the buttons.

Posted via my Nexus 6P on VerLIEzon Wireless but without their shackles.
    04-02-2016 08:37 PM
    You don't need to install a custom ROM to switch the buttons around. All you need to do is root the phone, install Xposed framework, and use the GravityBox module. It allows you to add a fourth key and assign it to do whatever you want, and you can also assign different actions to double tapping or long pressing any of the buttons.
    That involves 3 things that make me nervous. Rooting my brand new $600 phone, installing a "framework" and installing a "module". Pretty sure I'd brick my phone. Thanks, though.
    tonyr6 likes this.
    04-02-2016 09:07 PM
    You just got to get used it being on the correct side. =D

Google Nexus 6P
    04-03-2016 02:47 AM
    Coming from an LG which allows you to switch buttons, I also found this frustrating. Rooting is the only way unfortunately, but I have reluctantly adjusted.

04-06-2016 09:03 PM
    There is an app called Back Button no root that my buddy installed on his GS5 when his capacitive buttons quit working. It added soft keys to his screen. I believe you can pick the layout of them if I remember correctly.

Via the Android Central App
    04-11-2016 01:49 AM
    That looks interesting but it looks like it takes up real estate. I'd like to change the OEM button locations, not add more buttons. Nice to know that exists if something were to happen to the OEM soft buttons.
    04-11-2016 12:53 PM
    Root your phone, then install this app called "All in one gestures", playstore link : https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...os.aiogestures. You can change your default/built-in button to other function
    05-17-2017 04:11 AM
    I think HTC Sense is allows you to change the arrangement of the on screen buttons and even add a fourth button. I think they are the only OEM that does that. You would probably have to root the Nexus to be able to do it since it goes against their design guidelines.

LG phones have been able to have as many as 5 buttons, arranged in any order since the G2, in 2013.
    05-21-2017 11:25 PM