Why do I hear no sound when I call "ok Google?"

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so look I'm having an issue with ok Google. When I say ok Google, I'm not receiving audio feedback. It just opens the search, but I can't hear the normal notification sound that Google is activated. The phone vibrates, but no sound. Is anyone having this issue?

Posted via the Android Central App

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so look I'm having an issue with ok Google. When I say ok Google, I'm not receiving audio feedback. It just opens the search, but I can't hear the normal notification sound that Google is activated. The phone vibrates, but no sound. Is anyone having this issue?

Check your media volume. If you have reduced it, out silenced it, you won't hear anything.

KillerQ

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Is your phone locked with a fingerprint or otherwise when you experience this?

Posted via my Nokia 8210 from the inside of a Kitten.

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Is your phone locked with a fingerprint or otherwise when you experience this?

Posted via my Nokia 8210 from the inside of a Kitten.
My phone isn't locked at the time. I have the media volume on and turned up. That was the first thing I checked. It's weird because it works when I activate through Bluetooth. I'm stomped. I did cache clean on the partition and within settings as well rebooted my device. The damn thing was working this morning first thing then it just stopped. Grrr. I'm hearing the factory reset.

beagle82

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site

Have you checked in Google settings _ search and now_ voice. There are two options to look under. Hands free and
Speech output. One of them looks like the image attached uploadfromtaptalk1459620629695.jpg

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Have you checked in Google settings _ search and now_ voice. There are two options to look under. Hands free and
Speech output. One of them looks like the image attached View attachment 223127

I just tried it. It was on, but I turned it off then turned it back on. No change, but that was a great suggestion if it was something that I had missed. There's a corrupted audio file somewhere I'm sure. It's probably about time to get a clean version of MM on my phone anyway.

beagle82

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I just tried it. It was on, but I turned it off then turned it back on. No change, but that was a great suggestion if it was something that I had missed. There's a corrupted audio file somewhere I'm sure. It's probably about time to get a clean version of MM on my phone anyway.

Maybe an uninstall and reinstall of the Google app might sort it out. Might save you reflashing your whole rom.

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I did it before I saw this and I uninstalled Android system web view. I received a new update this morning and was having problems shortly after and I also uninstalled updates for Google. I reset my device and then installed the updates again and voila! The activation sound is working again. I had to redo all of my home screens though..which really sucks! But, at least it's working..RIGHT? Thanks for all of your help guys!

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I did it before I saw this and I uninstalled Android system web view. I received a new update this morning and was having problems shortly after and I also uninstalled updates for Google. I reset my device and then installed the updates again and voila! The activation sound is working again. I had to redo all of my home screens though..which really sucks! But, at least it's working..RIGHT? Thanks for all of your help guys!

Well, it stopped working again [language]!

Last edited by a moderator:

IdemanEric

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

When I am connected to the BT in the car I get no sound. On previous devices it would come though the car speakers, however on the 6P - silence. Obviously if the media volume is down you'll get nothing also.

momsday11

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site

On the S7 Edge, turn off your Blue Tooth. It solved all of my 'sound' problems including hearing only one party when making and receiving calls.

Last edited by a moderator:

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Thank you....fought this for days, turned off Bluetooth and I now have a talking Google now.

Unless there is something very, very, wrong, Bluetooth on or off should not make a difference.

The one case where it WOULD matter is if, for example, you have a paired Bluetooth device (Bluetooth speaker, earbuds, car stereo) within range and powered on. In that case, your phone is playing all sounds through the Bluetooth device and you may not notice if, for example, your earbuds are in your backpack. :)

CyanideSandwich

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I am having the same problem as the OP.

The weird thing is that it's only the audio feeback when you say "OK Google." I can hear her when she talks, but only get a vibration when it hears me say "OK Google."

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Google App, and this problem even persisted after Samsung pushed out the Marshmallow update a couple of nights ago.

Of course my media volume is turned all the way up, and I have repeatedly cleared my app caches to no avail.

kayjay23

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
I uninstalled the app and reinstalled it.. and it fixes it (temporarily)

Then it asks to update the google app and once I update, its back to square ONE! (no sound)

I just think its a new update and they simply took off sound. When i'm charging my phone and I use the "Ok Google" feature and I need that sound indication to let me know that I am being heard!

Hope its an update issue and not something permanent.

THAT SOUND IS VITAL!

Beezlehop

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I uninstalled the app and reinstalled it.. and it fixes it (temporarily)

Then it asks to update the google app and once I update, its back to square ONE! (no sound)

I don't think uninstalling is necessary. I get the same results as you from just using the clear all data option. I don't know what re-triggers the issue for me. But, it is very annoying.

ttrimmer

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I just started having the same issue. If my Bluetooth is connected to my car the tone comes through my stereo. If not, my phone just vibrates. It also started happening on my old Nexus 5 I was playing around with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs