Why do I hear no sound when I call "ok Google?"

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
The "chime" that used to sound on my speakerphone in the car went away, as did the voice confirmation of the contact being called. Nothing seems to bring it back. I give up.

Paulk9

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
Thanks so much for this fix. Having no feedback after "OK GOOGLE" was a real pain. Fix worked on both my Google 5X and 9.

Thanks,

Paul Kessinger
Spokane, WA

Last edited by a moderator:

Blue Jonny

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
Had this problem on galaxy s6 latest firmware. To solve download Google talk back. Once installed the switch access option appears in the accessibility menu at the very bottom. Switch it on and you're done.

tsparks1

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
lol, I hadn't even realized it was gone til I found this thread and I use it several times a day. Turned it back on and all is well again.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Tried every trick in this thread, so far. Latest was reverting both Google Now and Talkback. No good. Still no audible acknowledgement that Google Now is listening and no voice acknowledgement that it's received an instruction it understands.

Good job on the software, Google! Stay the course and the sky's the limit. Just as erratic as Microsoft's software, and look how successful they've become!

Smuggler 1858

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
Like a lot of you, this problem happened to me in the past few days. Nexus 5 for me. Searching for an answer I found this thread. Installing the Clean Master app seemed like the best solution, so I gave it a shot, and it DID WORK. But, after doing some investigation, not for the reason a lot of you may think.

When using the app, it asks you to turn on permissions for it in Settings>Accessibility>Services. For some reason, and don't ask me why because I don't know, THIS is what triggers the OK Google sound to work again! Thing is, you don't NEED Clean Master do to this. I found just enabling Switch Access in Accessibility works as well.

So there you go. Just enable Switch Access and you got your sound back. Again though, just don't ask me WHY it works.

Brilliant my good sir absolutely brilliant this worked like a charm for me

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday I reinstalled the updates for Google Talkback and Google Now, and did a cache clear from recovery. Voilá! My Google Now interaction was back!

Next time I went to use it: Gone again.

Good job, Google!

Jason K3

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
I uninstalled the app and reinstalled it.. and it fixes it (temporarily)

Then it asks to update the google app and once I update, its back to square ONE! (no sound)

I just think its a new update and they simply took off sound. When i'm charging my phone and I use the "Ok Google" feature and I need that sound indication to let me know that I am being heard!

Hope its an update issue and not something permanent.

THAT SOUND IS VITAL!

Here's what I found out, and it WORKS! Go to settings, accessibility, vision, and turn the switch access to ON.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Got an update to Google Now, last night. Still b0rk3d. Turned on Switch Access, just now. Still b0rk3d.

At this point I'm going to entertain tossing Google Now for a different launcher. Without voice dialling working correctly: It introduces more problems than it solves. (Only problem is: That may somewhat cripple Android Wear. So I may find myself tossing that and my watch, as well.)

Jimbohorn

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
Been trying to figure out this switch access and how to correct this problem. I cannot even find switch access controls on my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro. I've tried just about everything and can't figure it out. Somebody please help me

storvay

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Been trying to figure out this switch access and how to correct this problem. I cannot even find switch access controls on my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro. I've tried just about everything and can't figure it out. Somebody please help me
You may need to first download Google talkback from the Play store. Then the switch access option will appear under accessibility.

Unfortunately, there has been an unwanted side effect of this fix; I have been getting am unbelievably annoying 'X' which I have to press to get rid of on screen controls in YouTube app. A few accidental presses have made this even more annoying than the lack of sound in OK Google

So, back to a sound free OK Google for me. Frustrating.

Paul Owens1

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
Ok, so look I'm having an issue with ok Google. When I say ok Google, I'm not receiving audio feedback. It just opens the search, but I can't hear the normal notification sound that Google is activated. The phone vibrates, but no sound. Is anyone having this issue?

Posted via the Android Central App

Sorry no answer. However I'm having the exact same problem.
Since my Samsung Galaxy A3 updated to Marshmallow 6.1 there is no sound with 'now Google'. My phone doesn't even light up. So you don't realise after saying the command 'OK Google' that it's waiting for your command. I cannot find the answer. HELP!

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I cannot find the answer. HELP!
I don't believe there is an answer--other than Google fixing their broken software.

There's a "Send Feedback" choice on the menu. Tap that and let them know what you think. You can also rate the app on the Play Store. I did both. Maybe if everybody did both of those things Google might notice.

They might even fix it. (I'm not holding my breath.)

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
Ok guys....out of desperation I tried @Christopher Kolle and @Philcraft's method - which was to use that Clean Master App. I think all these cleaning apps are kind of a scam, but I was so frustrated I would try anything. I downloaded the Clean Master Lite edition, installed, granted the specified permissions, and ran and deleted all the files it told me to. I thought there was no chance in hell this would work....

Lo and behold, it works! So I have no idea how Google is applying this Google Now update, but it's screwing up the sound. The Clean Master App must be deleting the offending cache file. The OK Google notification sound is back!!!

Thanks @Christopher Kolle!

Go to accessibility and off clean master.. Then the **** is doing again

Last edited by a moderator:

Mobilestash

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Sorry no answer. However I'm having the exact same problem.
Since my Samsung Galaxy A3 updated to Marshmallow 6.1 there is no sound with 'now Google'. My phone doesn't even light up. So you don't realise after saying the command 'OK Google' that it's waiting for your command. I cannot find the answer. HELP!

Turning on Switch Access fixed my issue.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
So I got in the car, yesterday afternoon. Speakerphone woke up and said "Connected!" Pressed the button that's supposed to wake up Google Now. Nothing" "Yeah, a f***in' figured that," I said, aloud, to myself. Then, without thinking, "Call so-and-so mobile". Nothing. Went to reach for the phone and it started ringing the other end. "Gee, I wonder who it called?"

Turned out it called who I wanted it to, but, it was a complete surprise.

Handy.

Mobilestash

May 10, 2012
Visit site
So I got in the car, yesterday afternoon. Speakerphone woke up and said "Connected!" Pressed the button that's supposed to wake up Google Now. Nothing" "Yeah, a f***in' figured that," I said, aloud, to myself. Then, without thinking, "Call so-and-so mobile". Nothing. Went to reach for the phone and it started ringing the other end. "Gee, I wonder who it called?"

Turned out it called who I wanted it to, but, it was a complete surprise.

Handy.

Turn on Switch Access in the settings. It fixed my issue.

mrdotstang

Jun 23, 2012
Visit site