APN Settings on AT&T- Best One to Use?

terminator y2k

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Does anyone know the difference between these and more importantly which one is the best one to set the phone to? I'm curious if anyone has any feedback/info so I can set it to the APN setting that will give the best service/signal. I'm in Orange County, CA. Thanks.

*6P 64gb Graphite (AT&T)*
*iPad Air 2 64gb Space Gray (AT&T)*

Attachments

• 16173.jpg
    16173.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 81

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Your local AT&T will know the best one for your area. But it's usually

Proxy:
Port:
Username:
Password:
Server:
MMSC:http://mmsc.mobile.att.net/
MMS
Proxy:
MMSPort:80
MCC:310
MNC:410
Authentication:NONE
APN type:default,mms,supl,hipri,fota

Notice - no spaces in the last line.

The only really important ones are MMSC, MMS, MCC and MNC the APN type (MCC and MNC identify it as "AT&T").

terminator y2k

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Your local AT&T will know the best one for your area. But it's usually

Proxy:
Port:
Username:
Password:
Server:
MMSC:http://mmsc.mobile.att.net/
MMS
Proxy:
MMSPort:80
MCC:310
MNC:410
Authentication:NONE
APN type:default,mms,supl,hipri,fota

Notice - no spaces in the last line.

The only really important ones are MMSC, MMS, MCC and MNC the APN type (MCC and MNC identify it as "AT&T").

AT&T store reps would probably have no idea of what I was talking about. From what I've experienced, most reps are not usually tech savvy. In a store, you may find 1 or 2 reps that are real techie nerds like us- I actually worked for a AT&T a few years ago. Also, my phone is working okay but I was just curious about this APN stuff bc I was tinkering w/ the phone. :) Also, on a related note, I just received the March update 2 days ago (just got my phone 2 weeks ago) and I am noticing battery is not as good and cell signal is not as good either so idk if this is just a coincidence or what, but something I noticed. Hopefully April update fixes these bugs????

*6P 64gb Graphite (AT&T)*
*iPad Air 2 64gb Space Gray (AT&T)*

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
AT&T store reps would probably have no idea of what I was talking about. From what I've experienced, most reps are not usually tech savvy. In a store, you may find 1 or 2 reps that are real techie nerds like us
Every AT&T store here can set an APN, even the affiliates. It's surprising that there are some that can't. But those should send you to the SC.

Also, my phone is working okay but I was just curious about this APN stuff bc I was tinkering w/ the phone.
The APN depends on the one the carrier is currently using. It's not like the old concept of CDMA PRLs, where people thought that different PRLs worked better in different places. (Some did, but only because the ones that didn't weren't current.)

Also, on a related note, I just received the March update 2 days ago (just got my phone 2 weeks ago) and I am noticing battery is not as good
It won't be - the phone is updating all sorts of things, and that takes battery. Gibe it at least a week after an uppdate, then a full charge or two before you compare.

and cell signal is not as good either
That could be due to the updating, it could be due to the new modem being not as good as the old one ... I'd give that a week also. Then, if it doesn't clear up, take the phone to the DSC.