Can't add work exchange account to Nexus 6P (Google Fi)?

A

AC Question

Can't add work exchange account to Nexus 6P (Google Fi)

Hi All,

A friend and I switched over to Google Fi and got the Nexus 6P.

I was able to add my exchange work account to the gmail app just fine.
However, my friend is unable to do the same. We work at the same company, so everything except the username/PW is the same.

We've discovered the following: Whereas upon account creation I am prompted as to whether I want to add gmail to the device administrators (don't remember the exact wording), my friend does not get that prompt. Subsequentially, the exchange-server specific policies can't be applied, which results in the email not being synced/retrieved.

He had an iPhone before, and we've removed the ActiveSync connection via Outlook Web Access (as described in other walk-throughs I've read). Still no luck.
Has anyone come across this problem before?

I tested my account on his phone, and it works. Hence I think there's a problem with his account, I just don't know what it could be.
If we can't find a solution, we probably need to get our IT department involved, which means installing a third-party solution (which is what we are trying to avoid).

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Cyn

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Can't add work exchange account to Nexus 6P (Google Fi)

Welcome to Android Central! Not sure if this will work but have your friend try this:

1. Make sure the work account is removed from the phone.
2. Go to Settings>Security>Clear Credentials.
3. Now add the account back. Does that make a difference?

Cyndera80

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
Re: Can't add work exchange account to Nexus 6P (Google Fi)

Hi there,

Thanks for the answer, but that didn't help :(. We've already done a factory reset (should have mentioned that in my original post).
The problem really seems to be that gmail isn't added to the device administrators at the point where it gets added for me (and I have to confirm that).

Cyndera80

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
So, apparently our IT department is making a change to allowing ActiveSync ... however, one of my contacts in IT said that there is a way around that ... so that you can still use a regular exchange account and not install this third-party app they are trying to push (MobileIron). He wouldn't say though HOW I can do that. Grumble. Any ideas?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
So, apparently our IT department is making a change to allowing ActiveSync ... however, one of my contacts in IT said that there is a way around that ... so that you can still use a regular exchange account and not install this third-party app they are trying to push (MobileIron). He wouldn't say though HOW I can do that. Grumble. Any ideas?

Ahh, yes, MobileIron. I have both ActiveSync and MobileIron on my 6P. I work as a contractor, ActiveSync is for my direct employer, MobileIron is for the company we support. They co-exist nicely and MobileIron seems to work pretty well. I've only had one hiccup with it on my 6P.

MobileIron isn't THAT bad, and I guess it can be set up to run the Android@Work setup, which uses the native mail client I believe (we're going to get that setup but it's not out yet).

Cyndera80

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
I just wish I could figure out what the IT guy meant by the work-around. I don't have access to the exchange server, so I can't check if ActiveSync is actually disabled for my friend's account. It's not that I am completely against using MobileIron (if we have to, then so be it), but it annoys me that I can't figure out the work around.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Sorry I can't help you any. Our environment sets up company email in a "sandbox" or a secure apps environment. Unless you use the provided app, no access to email.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21