Does the Huawei Nexus 6P bend easily through everyday use or not?

Titan206

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Or it says that this "standard test" has no bearing on real world usage.

I could test every phone by throwing them at a brick wall. I could be very consistent in my testing. Some phones might fare much worse than others in the testing. But what can really be concluded from the outcome?
I agree with you, but "standard usage" wouldn't make for a quick YouTube video. Instead, he has developed some tests that he can apply to all phones in a short time period.

Titan206

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
That is part of the issue, he doesn't have a "standard test". Instead, his tests aren't standard -- either in the order he does them or how he performs them.

From what I recall seeing, people who actually do standardized testing have shown that the 6P does not bend easily.
Granted, I haven't watched all the videos, but the ones I watched were pretty standard in their type and chronological order.

abubasim

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I bought a Nexus 6P in January and I treat it the same way I have treated all my other phones; in a cover and only in a front pocket of my trousers when the pockets are big enough. Otherwise I keep the phone in a belt case.

A phone bends and breaks when a bending force is applied to it? That's cause and effect in action, isn't it?

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Granted, I haven't watched all the videos, but the ones I watched were pretty standard in their type and chronological order.

So when he does his flame test, how long does he hold the flame there, at what distance from the phone, what spots on the phone does he apply the heat, and what is the temperature at the surface of the device? When he does the scratch test, how much pressure is applied to the screen, and at what points on the screen? When he tries to bend a phone is the phone still intact (no cracks or deep scratches that weaken the structural integrity of the phone)? Where are his fingers placed and how much force is applied?

None of those items are constant in his tests, meaning they tests aren't anywhere close to standard.

Jeff Frimer

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
YMMV. I have had a 6p since November and prior to this I've had a number of HTC phones that I've always kept in a a siedio case and belt clip. I have never bent a phone or cracked a screen. The 6p as you know is large and doesn't have a lot of case options so I have it in my pockets, sometimes front or back and I use a thin supcase. Last week after having it in my back pocket and sitting in a baseball stadium chair I noticed it it had bent by the power volume button. The phone still works 100%. I am mad at myself for doing this but I consider myself a normal user. Needless to say I called Google and Huawui and it is not fixable. I plan to order a part to repair it myself. I think it is hard to bend but it is possible to bend if you are not careful. Now I have ordered a siedio case and clip as well.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 43961.jpg
    43961.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 33

jbergsing

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
I'm a truck driver. I'm in and out of the truck numerous times a night. My 6p comes with me every time. I've dropped it a few times. (Thank goodness the official Google case does a fine job protecting it!) I've sat on it a few times. It gets banged around a little. No bending at all. I think, if there are some legitimate cases of bending, they are very rare.

Derek_B

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I've had my 6P for close to six months, I use it every day and it hasn't bent. So, no, I would say it doesn't bend easily through everyday use.

GreekNexus

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
I loved my Nexus 6p ... until the 11th of October this year.
Having had the phone for 10monts I had nothing to complain at all.
Have had it with a glass screen protector and also had it all the time in a Spigen armour case.
However on the 11th I realised that the top right corner of the screen was making a clicking sound ... and sure enough I seen the screen was popping out and I could slide a very thin paper between the top edge of screen and the frame.

I took it in carphone warehouse and asked to be looked as a warranty repair.
I only got a message on Thursday 3rd of Nov that my phone is repaired. And apparently they have replaced the phone. So it was beyond repair.

The fact the phone was never dropped and that it has always been kept in a case, I cannot explain how half of the screen got detached of the frame. I do not keep the phone in my back pocket.
But I can only say the frame might have slighly bend to allow the glass to pop out halfway?

Not sure if anyone else experienced similar problem.

Cheers

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I loved my Nexus 6p ... until the 11th of October this year.
Having had the phone for 10monts I had nothing to complain at all.
Have had it with a glass screen protector and also had it all the time in a Spigen armour case.
However on the 11th I realised that the top right corner of the screen was making a clicking sound ... and sure enough I seen the screen was popping out and I could slide a very thin paper between the top edge of screen and the frame.

I took it in carphone warehouse and asked to be looked as a warranty repair.
I only got a message on Thursday 3rd of Nov that my phone is repaired. And apparently they have replaced the phone. So it was beyond repair.

The fact the phone was never dropped and that it has always been kept in a case, I cannot explain how half of the screen got detached of the frame. I do not keep the phone in my back pocket.
But I can only say the frame might have slighly bend to allow the glass to pop out halfway?

Not sure if anyone else experienced similar problem.

Cheers

Yours doesn't really sound like a bend issue, particularly at the top corner (which is actually the thickest part of the phone). Instead, It is more likely the glue failed, or it wasn't glued well enough, in that corner. I know that was one of the complaints of those that did tear downs of the phone, that it uses quite a bit of glue/adhesive to assemble the phone rather than screwing it together.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I do not own a 6P, but I have held one, and to me, it feels just as sturdy as any other device. Of course, I've never tried bending that phone, or any phone, for that matter...

jcdub

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
I had mine bulge and distorted at the volume and power button area. Never dropped and in a protective case and tempered glass. I received a replacement from Google. Hopefully it won't happen again 😗

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I had mine bent twice. Both times, I got a replacement. It's just a poor frame design. Both times was just in my pocket with the normal sitting on the ground or getting up or normal movements in and out of a car. Just weird it happened twice. Never was in my back pocket and I never put anything else besides the phone in the pocket.

Kiefer Head

Jan 31, 2017
Visit site
It bends very easily, just not like you'd think. If you have a wallet case for your back pocket, over time the credit cards pushing in the center of the phone will cause the phone to bend. You'll get a bend outward from the metal on the lower volume button, which will eventually crack. I should know, it's happened to both my original 6P and the replacement 6P I ordered after the first one broke. If you're able to get a different phone, get a different phone. People who say this doesn't bend don't know what they're talking about... Unfortunately, I listened to those people

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
It bends very easily, just not like you'd think. If you have a wallet case for your back pocket, over time the credit cards pushing in the center of the phone will cause the phone to bend. You'll get a bend outward from the metal on the lower volume button, which will eventually crack. I should know, it's happened to both my original 6P and the replacement 6P I ordered after the first one broke. If you're able to get a different phone, get a different phone. People who say this doesn't bend don't know what they're talking about... Unfortunately, I listened to those people

I have had mine since Nov 15', and it hasn't bent at all. I have heard of it bending usually because people use cases and it causes some issue by the volume rocker. However it does not just bend.

Travis Bakker

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Had my 6P over a year, sometimes with a case, sometimes without. I don't really baby my device and I haven't had any quality issues with my device. Still holds its own against the newer flagships.