Tempted By HTC 10?

funmonk01

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I was tempted to buy the HTC10 but thought that I would wait and see if HTC were making the Nexus phones this year. Anyhow I lost my HTC M8 (which i really liked) and a friend of mine was going to Hong Kong so I asked him to buy me one when he was there to replace my lost M8. So far very happy. Done the update.....camera good, battery good, screen good, one happy chap. Then my M8 must of got jealous or something cos it decided to resurface in a shoe that I hadn't put on since the night I lost it... Now the wife has it and now I'm jealous she does mmmmmm! A bit like when you see the ex out at the bar and you get those fleeting thoughts for a few seconds then reality kicks in.

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I was tempted to buy the HTC10 but thought that I would wait and see if HTC were making the Nexus phones this year. Anyhow I lost my HTC M8 (which i really liked) and a friend of mine was going to Hong Kong so I asked him to buy me one when he was there to replace my lost M8. So far very happy. Done the update.....camera good, battery good, screen good, one happy chap. Then my M8 must of got jealous or something cos it decided to resurface in a shoe that I hadn't put on since the night I lost it... Now the wife has it and now I'm jealous she does mmmmmm! A bit like when you see the ex out at the bar and you get those fleeting thoughts for a few seconds then reality kicks in.

LOL, funny story. I took my 10 back after a week. There was no camera update on T-Mobile and it still gets post update reviews that the camera still over exposes and drops major light flares on lower light images. But, that being said, i liked it enough to re-buy it when it surfaces in gold with the update. I liked the audio section enough to keep it, but i have to get everything else i want since the camera is not as good as my Nexus 6p. And, it absolutely is not as good regardless of any lighting situation.

Posted via the Android Central App

GolferChris68

May 14, 2011
Visit site
One issue with the HTC 10 camera that has been mentioned a number of times, even after the software update - lens flare! Night shots where there are points of light will create flare. Other phones like the 6p, s7, and iPhone don't have the same issue, so it must be something in the lens coating (or lack of) on the HTC 10. Such a shame, as it a tempting device for the audio quality, but I also want my device to be able to take good photos in various types of lighting.

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
One issue with the HTC 10 camera that has been mentioned a number of times, even after the software update - lens flare! Night shots where there are points of light will create flare. Other phones like the 6p, s7, and iPhone don't have the same issue, so it must be something in the lens coating (or lack of) on the HTC 10. Such a shame, as it a tempting device for the audio quality, but I also want my device to be able to take good photos in various types of lighting.

Either way, it just boils down to HTC having horrible camera software engineers. They can't tune their cameras properly to save their own lives. Like i said before, the current HTC camera would have been a hit 2 years ago. But, even with its update, the 6p kills it in any lighting situation. I'm really happy to hear that Huawei will get this year's version of the Nexus again. I like HTC audio, but the drop off in audio between Huawei and HTC is not nearly as great as the dropoff from Huawei to HTC when it comes to camera. Huawei will figure out how to improve the camera even more and I'm willing to bet that they'll upgrade the audio section to 24 bit like HTC. When it comes to cameras, they only need to add OIS if it's going to improve the overall camera experience. So far, the iPhone has the best OIS implementation. Not even the galaxy s7 is as good as the iPhone when it comes to OIS. I've had very few out of focus low light shots with my 6p, so OIS just isn't that important if the camera software and hardware are well optimized. Video is a different story and i hope that Huawei can do better with video image stabilization.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Either way, it just boils down to HTC having horrible camera software engineers. They can't tune their cameras properly to save their own lives. Like i said before, the current HTC camera would have been a hit 2 years ago. But, even with its update, the 6p kills it in any lighting situation. I'm really happy to hear that Huawei will get this year's version of the Nexus again. I like HTC audio, but the drop off in audio between Huawei and HTC is not nearly as great as the dropoff from Huawei to HTC when it comes to camera. Huawei will figure out how to improve the camera even more and I'm willing to bet that they'll upgrade the audio section to 24 bit like HTC. When it comes to cameras, they only need to add OIS if it's going to improve the overall camera experience. So far, the iPhone has the best OIS implementation. Not even the galaxy s7 is as good as the iPhone when it comes to OIS. I've had very few out of focus low light shots with my 6p, so OIS just isn't that important if the camera software and hardware are well optimized. Video is a different story and i hope that Huawei can do better with video image stabilization.

Not sure I want Huawei making another Nexus. Don't get me wrong, I love my 6P but there are issues that need to be addressed and I'm not sure if they're Nexus software related or hardware. For one, Bluetooth is awful. I should not hear random pops and skips for no known reason. Also, the light sensor is a bit more random when compared to other devices.

Otherwise, great phone. Just wish they'd address this in my 6P because it is probably software related and that's on Google. But if it's hardware, well... there is my concern.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I can say from painfully personal experience that HTC tech support absolutely sucks!!!! And for that reason alone I'll never own another HTC product :(

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Not sure I want Huawei making another Nexus. Don't get me wrong, I love my 6P but there are issues that need to be addressed and I'm not sure if they're Nexus software related or hardware. For one, Bluetooth is awful. I should not hear random pops and skips for no known reason. Also, the light sensor is a bit more random when compared to other devices.

Otherwise, great phone. Just wish they'd address this in my 6P because it is probably software related and that's on Google. But if it's hardware, well... there is my concern.

I suppose Bluetooth isn't the greatest, I would agree. I don't know that i get the random pops perse, but i do get some skipping while listening to play music. And, i will get tons of skipping if my phone and Bluetooth sensor on my headphones are on opposite sides of my body. That's something i thought was resolved several generations ago with Bluetooth connectivity. It's totally annoying. The light sensor does drives me nuts. I realize just how bad it is after using the HTC 10. It randomly cycles the screen regardless of the ambient light in the room. Mostly it works, but it's annoying because it will dim the screen for no apparent reason and just when you get used to it then it brightens the screen. That's very irritating but not a deal breaker.

carlos12001

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site

Only complaint I have is the audio quality from earphones, and it's not bad but should be better. I haven't had the first Bluetooth issue yet, and the light sensor seems just like any other phone I've had. Also, I really don't want HTC making the next Nexus, they always seem to screw it up somehow just like they did with the Nexus 9. They couldn't take stock Android, put it on a tablet and make it work right.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I suppose Bluetooth isn't the greatest, I would agree. I don't know that i get the random pops perse, but i do get some skipping while listening to play music. And, i will get tons of skipping if my phone and Bluetooth sensor on my headphones are on opposite sides of my body. That's something i thought was resolved several generations ago with Bluetooth connectivity. It's totally annoying. The light sensor does drives me nuts. I realize just how bad it is after using the HTC 10. It randomly cycles the screen regardless of the ambient light in the room. Mostly it works, but it's annoying because it will dim the screen for no apparent reason and just when you get used to it then it brightens the screen. That's very irritating but not a deal breaker.

Good description on the light sensor issues. It really drives me nuts at times. So much that I've even considered getting a Galaxy S7 because despite disliking Touchwiz, I've never had issues with its display or music. To be honest, I never had any real issues with Samsung devices in terms of working. The only reason I ditched the S5 was due to the horrible build quality and that annoying creaky back cover.

The popping on Bluetooth seems to have subsided a bit since removing a few apps. For some reason, some apps cause the 6P to throw a fit even when they're not in use or running at all.

Only complaint I have is the audio quality from earphones, and it's not bad but should be better. I haven't had the first Bluetooth issue yet, and the light sensor seems just like any other phone I've had. Also, I really don't want HTC making the next Nexus, they always seem to screw it up somehow just like they did with the Nexus 9. They couldn't take stock Android, put it on a tablet and make it work right.

Audio quality through headphones is lacking. Too low and even lower when I activate the Equalizer on Google Music. The Equalizer makes everything sound better and works loud and great in my car minus the issues I've been vocal about above.

funmonk01

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Firstly I never listen to my music via bluetooth. I hate bad sounding music it just drives me mad. I had an issue with my HTC M8 and had to send it to HTC to be repaired/replaced. I was travelling all over the UK on business and they were fantastic in sorting out the problem and then contacting me every day trying to work out where I would be so they could forward the replacement handset to where I was going to be, not where I had been. Regarding the camera. The camera is working well. Good pics and the ability to work with them afterwards especially using RAW capture. Just my thoughts for what they're worth.

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Good description on the light sensor issues. It really drives me nuts at times. So much that I've even considered getting a Galaxy S7 because despite disliking Touchwiz, I've never had issues with its display or music. To be honest, I never had any real issues with Samsung devices in terms of working. The only reason I ditched the S5 was due to the horrible build quality and that annoying creaky back cover.

The popping on Bluetooth seems to have subsided a bit since removing a few apps. For some reason, some apps cause the 6P to throw a fit even when they're not in use or running at all.

Audio quality through headphones is lacking. Too low and even lower when I activate the Equalizer on Google Music. The Equalizer makes everything sound better and works loud and great in my car minus the issues I've been vocal about above.

I've been using this Eq app for several years now, and i think you may like it better than the onboard app from Google. https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...com.smartandroidapps.equalizer&token=yE8MQO5W
I don't have root access, but i believe its best setting is flat with surround sound and sound amplifier engaged. Sound amplifier only attenuates the music to a certain volume that's safe without distortion. But, the real boost comes with surround sound. I don't think turning it up or down changes the effect beyond initially toggling it on.

Give it a try and let me know if it works for you.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I've been using this Eq app for several years now, and i think you may like it better than the onboard app from Google. https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...com.smartandroidapps.equalizer&token=5UlqmEYQ
I don't have root access, but i believe its best setting is flat with surround sound and sound amplifier engaged. Sound amplifier only attenuates the music to a certain volume that's safe without distortion. But, the real boost comes with surround sound. I don't think turning it up or down changes the effect beyond initially toggling it on.

Give it a try and let me know if it works for you.

I'll check it out and report back. :)

Edit: The equalizer works while using headphones but not with Bluetooth. The app says it should but I noticed it's not kicking in with Bluetooth. :/

Last edited:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Alright, so I got it to work but in my car it creates a choppy sound in the background. It works fine on headsets though but that doesn't do me much good. Back to Google equalizers. :(

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Alright, so I got it to work but in my car it creates a choppy sound in the background. It works fine on headsets though but that doesn't do me much good. Back to Google equalizers. :(

It was worth a try... Sorry it didn't work out. This really is more of an issue with the Nexus and its audio then anything else.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I am definitely tempted by it... But it's not available for Rogers as far as I know, so I'd be stuck paying the unlocked price for it (something I've always avoided). Plus, I feel like the screen size *may* be a bit too small for me, but that's what all that extra research is for when it comes time for me to upgrade! It'd either be the G4, a Nexus 6P, or the HTC 10. Those phones all have my attention.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
It was worth a try... Sorry it didn't work out. This really is more of an issue with the Nexus and its audio then anything else.

I wanted to update you on my findings. I ran into the choppy audio issue with my Boss IE2 headphones. These are wired so I now know it wasn't a Bluetooth issue. I force closed both Google Music and Equalizer and the noise went away. Anyways, I am not sure how this "auto preset" thing works as it doesn't appear to actually change. However, this application works excellent. I'll definitely be giving it a go for a bit so I appreciate the suggestion. I just hope this choppy audio glitch doesn't happen often as closing apps is annoying.

On a side note, let's hope Google fixes the random popping noises that sound like interference. Many have reported this doesn't exist in safe mode or on rooted devices with different kernels. Go figure.

Edit: Ah, the auto detect is a paid feature.. also, I notice the Equalizer randomly stops working at times. Not sure why.

Edit 2: Yeah, it randomly stops and this is an issue with every third party equalizer that I've tried. Looks like I'm going to have to mess around with the internal Google one.

Last edited:

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I wanted to update you on my findings. I ran into the choppy audio issue with my Boss IE2 headphones. These are wired so I now know it wasn't a Bluetooth issue. I force closed both Google Music and Equalizer and the noise went away. Anyways, I am not sure how this "auto preset" thing works as it doesn't appear to actually change. However, this application works excellent. I'll definitely be giving it a go for a bit so I appreciate the suggestion. I just hope this choppy audio glitch doesn't happen often as closing apps is annoying.

On a side note, let's hope Google fixes the random popping noises that sound like interference. Many have reported this doesn't exist in safe mode or on rooted devices with different kernels. Go figure.

Edit: Ah, the auto detect is a paid feature.. also, I notice the Equalizer randomly stops working at times. Not sure why.

Edit 2: Yeah, it randomly stops and this is an issue with every third party equalizer that I've tried. Looks like I'm going to have to mess around with the internal Google one.

It can be wonky, but i did pay for the version i have and I'm not getting the random stops that you're reporting. I've found it to be the best Eq app out there and i believe it's considerably more effective when used with root. There are some settings that work better than others. Be sure that ”notification shortcut” and ”auto on/off ” are both checked. I do not use the auto preset because oftentimes certain music files will not have its genre encoded within the track, so the preset will not change until the next track with the encoded information plays. You can set your own presets, but I've found that the presets that you can actually choose introduce very little distortion to the music. I only use hip hop and flat and sometimes i will use surround sound with flat, but it tends to morph the midrange in favor of a fuller sound surrounding the lower end.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
It can be wonky, but i did pay for the version i have and I'm not getting the random stops that you're reporting. I've found it to be the best Eq app out there and i believe it's considerably more effective when used with root. There are some settings that work better than others. Be sure that ”notification shortcut” and ”auto on/off ” are both checked. I do not use the auto preset because oftentimes certain music files will not have its genre encoded within the track, so the preset will not change until the next track with the encoded information plays. You can set your own presets, but I've found that the presets that you can actually choose introduce very little distortion to the music. I only use hip hop and flat and sometimes i will use surround sound with flat, but it tends to morph the midrange in favor of a fuller sound surrounding the lower end.

I did try this and unfortunately I wasn't able to get it to work. Oh well, thanks anyway. :)