Huawei Executive: "We're doing the Nexus again this year"

Pirate Arr

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Link here: Huawei exec says “we're doing the Nexus again this year” - Android Authority

What do you guys think? Especially with the onslaught of rumors that HTC is going to be partnering up with Google for this year's Nexus although with rumors of a Nexus 7P, it could be a tablet or as Google as done with the 5x/6P HTC might make the smaller perhaps 5.2 variant and Huawei the larger variant? That would not be surprising and perhaps welcomed with two metal powerhouses! Huawei did a great job with the 6P likewise so did HTC with the 10. Hopefully the structural design of the new Huawei Nexus is made more stronger ala perhaps using the aluminum in the iPhones, to be devils advocate in regards to what happened last year and because there is nothing wrong in wanting a more structurally sound device.

#TeamFrosty Nexus 6P

Last edited:

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I hope this is true. I also hope they make a phablet. Nothing smaller than the 6P, that's just a step backwards.

Posted via the Android Central App

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I understand people who want them to stay at the same size in regards to the 6p, but I'd be okay with them making it at least a bit smaller, like 5.2" or 5.5". I have adjusted to the size of the 6p, but there are times I wish it was a bit smaller. But I wouldn't want them to go below 5.2" for the screen size, we know they can make a 5.2"+ size screen without the case size being too large.

And while I've had no issues with bending, a stronger structure and a larger battery wouldn't be objectionable by me. Rather than having the camera bump, make the device be the same thickness from top to bottom. If they can't fit a larger battery in there, use the extra space to increase the structure strength. But unless there's something more than simply adding an SD820 as the rumors have stated, I'll most likely stick with my current 6p.

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I understand people who want them to stay at the same size in regards to the 6p, but I'd be okay with them making it at least a bit smaller, like 5.2" or 5.5". I have adjusted to the size of the 6p, but there are times I wish it was a bit smaller. But I wouldn't want them to go below 5.2" for the screen size, we know they can make a 5.2"+ size screen without the case size being too large.

I agree. I currently have an MXPE and still kind of miss the smaller size of the 2014 Moto X. The new Moto X (or Z) is going in a direction that doesn't appeal to me at all so I'm definitely leaning toward Nexus as my next phone.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
If they are making it, hopefully they make 2. One phablet, and one with a 5.5" screen. I can't go smaller than the 6P, media consumption just gets annoying in smaller screens.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
If they are making it, hopefully they make 2. One phablet, and one with a 5.5" screen. I can't go smaller than the 6P, media consumption just gets annoying in smaller screens.

Agreed fully. I am pleased to hear that Huawei will likely do another Nexus. This phone is just killer.

Posted via my Nexus 6P on Verizon (or any d**n network I choose)

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
My best guess is that both HTC and Huawei are making a Nexus, in the same way it was Huawei and LG last year. The question is, is Huawei making the larger phone, again, and will the larger phone have a specs advantage?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Huawei did a killer job on the 6P. It's a fantastic phone inside and out, and as such, I wouldn't mind having them for the second round as the Nexus manufacturer.

Although I'd like them to attempt to improve the internal construction of the device. The 6P's internal design is somewhat flawed in the sense that it's not as durable as other phones when subjected to pressure. An improvement in its internal design, like an extra frame used in other devices, can help. Other than that, I don't think there's much they need to do. Just give it updated hardware and fix its flaws.

The question now is with the onslaught of HTC Nexus rumors, if Huawei really meant this year's Nexus (and not actually meaning selling Nexus phones again in South Africa*), what would they be making? The cheaper version or the more expensive version?

* - Context Matters: "Huawei Nexus" Confirmation May Have Been Grossly Misinterpreted

Pirate Arr

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site

And while I've had no issues with bending, a stronger structure and a larger battery wouldn't be objectionable by me. Rather than having the camera bump, make the device be the same thickness from top to bottom. If they can't fit a larger battery in there, use the extra space to increase the structure strength. But unless there's something more than simply adding an SD820 as the rumors have stated, I'll most likely stick with my current 6p.

It will be unfortunate if it comes with just an 820 unlike some rumors begging the Note 6 with a 823 which would be great to be added to the new Nexus ala the Nexus 5 being one of the first to have the Snapdragon 800 in 2013 and the Nexus 6 have a 805 with the 801 was used in earlier 2014.

#TeamFrosty Nexus 6P

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I was I initially thrilled to read that, thanks for sharing! I *love* the 6P so if Huawei is going to partner up with Nexus again, I'd be very interested in seeing what they come up with next time around.

However, I am just as curious to see what HTC could bring to the table. I've always admired HTC hardware and design, and yes, the 10 was a grand slam! So both of these partnerships is a good idea, IMO.

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I think Google has been awfully proud of what they were able to accomplish with Huawei. Google is also looking to expand their Chinese market, and keeping a top Chinese smartphone maker close is going to help them do that, not to mention the goodwill they earn with the government by partnering with a major Chinese corporation for a flagship product.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I think Google has been awfully proud of what they were able to accomplish with Huawei. Google is also looking to expand their Chinese market, and keeping a top Chinese smartphone maker close is going to help them do that, not to mention the goodwill they earn with the government by partnering with a major Chinese corporation for a flagship product.

You make a good point. Sundar did make a point of saying in that recent interview that Google wanted to keep up the efforts to expand reach in China. A second go with Huawei might show the Chinese government that Google has developed confidence in the product of one of its country's foremost mobile companies, especially since the 6P has arguably been the most successful Nexus phone to date. It would be a win-win situation for all involved, from a business standpoint.

jsushi

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
With the excellent job Huawei has done with 6P, I'm really hoping they'll partner with google again for the next Nexus. But honestly guys aren't we hoping for a tablet or something? We have the amazing 6P and I sincerely doubt we'll be too tired of it after just 1 year.

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
You make a good point. Sundar did make a point of saying in that recent interview that Google wanted to keep up the efforts to expand reach in China. A second go with Huawei might show the Chinese government that Google has developed confidence in the product of one of its country's foremost mobile companies, especially since the 6P has arguably been the most successful Nexus phone to date. It would be a win-win situation for all involved, from a business standpoint.

Absolutely. And the 6P is hands-down the best Nexus phone ever. I'm a techie kind of person (I work in IT - go figure) and I've followed the Nexus line for years. The constant updates and pure Google software were enticing, but there was always some compromise which I would have to make that led me to opt for something else. The 6P was different. I honestly wasn't even in the country when it was announced, but I knew it was the phone for me. No compromises. No Samsung bloat. No HTC software update delays and broken promises. It's a phone that competes successfully against the mainstream flagships and was almost universally declared the best phone of 2015.

With that kind of success, and with HTC (a Taiwanese company) making one Nexus phone this year, it makes sense to keep going with Huawei and give a boost to one of their major hardware partners in China. Huawei came out with some great phones after the 6P, and I'm sure that was a result of working with Google and learning from them.

Don't forget that the consumers win, too. Quality products at lower prices than the competition (6P vs S7, S7 Edge, or 6S/6S Plus) is good for the consumer as well.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Absolutely. And the 6P is hands-down the best Nexus phone ever. I'm a techie kind of person (I work in IT - go figure) and I've followed the Nexus line for years. The constant updates and pure Google software were enticing, but there was always some compromise which I would have to make that led me to opt for something else. The 6P was different. I honestly wasn't even in the country when it was announced, but I knew it was the phone for me. No compromises. No Samsung bloat. No HTC software update delays and broken promises. It's a phone that competes successfully against the mainstream flagships and was almost universally declared the best phone of 2015.

With that kind of success, and with HTC (a Taiwanese company) making one Nexus phone this year, it makes sense to keep going with Huawei and give a boost to one of their major hardware partners in China. Huawei came out with some great phones after the 6P, and I'm sure that was a result of working with Google and learning from them.

Don't forget that the consumers win, too. Quality products at lower prices than the competition (6P vs S7, S7 Edge, or 6S/6S Plus) is good for the consumer as well.

Hear, hear.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon