Nexus 6P project Fi

Seremedy

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Anybody know if wifi calling works while airplane modes on ? My samsung galaxy S7E on verizon has wifi calling and i can be in airplane mode and call and text without the cellular service mode being on. Can the 6P call and text on Fi using wifi calling while on airplane mode ?

Posted via Nexus 6P

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Also works (sometimes) on GoGo WiFi on a plane.

You get some pretty serious looks from flight attendants when your phone rings at 35,000 feet.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
086ca6ef3627286fb409c03926e60ed0.jpg
Doesn't seem to work for me. As you can see in the screenshot the Dialer complains that the radio is off and tells me to turn Airplane mode off.

I also had someone try to call me in that configuration and my phone never rang.

Last edited:

callanish

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Strange that. Rarely do I have airplane mode Turned off in order to prevent data use when I'm not on wi-fi and I mostly use wifi when calling and receiving. Never have I encountered what you're seeing on the screen and noone has mentioned that they couldn't reach me when I've been connected using wifi. More feedback from other users would be helpful to see if it's a random problem.

Seremedy

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
When you test airplane mode, you need to turn wifi and wifi calling back on. Still confused, im planning on joining project fi, but i would like to use wifi calling while in sirplane mode and get texts and calls

Posted via Nexus 6P

mustang02

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
When you test airplane mode, you need to turn wifi and wifi calling back on. Still confused, im planning on joining project fi, but i would like to use wifi calling while in sirplane mode and get texts and calls

Posted via Nexus 6P
You won't get texts with wifi connection. Just turn off data. Why use airplane mode?

Seremedy

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
It seems as you have two open hangouts once to enable wifi calling while on airplane mode. Can anyone try this or confirm ?

Posted via Nexus 6P

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
You won't get texts with wifi connection. Just turn off data. Why use airplane mode?

You will get texts if you use Hangouts.

And there are a ton of reasons to use airplane mode, for everything from forcing the phone to use wifi instead of cellular data to actually being on an airplane. Just because someone else's use doesn't match your own doesn't make it wrong.

callanish

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site

I must have a magic 6P then, because I continue to receive texts all the time with airplane mode on and running wifi. Just received a text from my sister's verizon phone about 10 seconds ago ( wifi on, airplane mode on ). Don't know what to tell you. It's working for me. Using Google's messenger app.

Indyrobb

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
One of the carriers will send sms or mms over Wifi I thought. It was either sprint or tmobile, so if you're on FI, that would make sense... I think.

Posted via the Android Central App

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
When you turn Airplane Mode ON, make sure you go back and turn wifi on. Everything will work then. Texting and calling.

mustang02

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I must have a magic 6P then, because I continue to receive texts all the time with airplane mode on and running wifi. Just received a text from my sister's verizon phone about 10 seconds ago ( wifi on, airplane mode on ). Don't know what to tell you. It's working for me. Using Google's messenger app.
I never received any texts with just wifi on. I used Fi on a 5x though not my 6p.

Seremedy

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Got Fi and set it up. Tested it and was somewhat pissed it wouldnt call in airplane mode but would text even though i saw different answere saying it didnt and did work. Turns out hangouts cant be disabled. Hangouts is in fact the back door for wifi calling while airplane modes on... everything is fine now, i can call and text while airplane mode is on while using wifi. Just had to fiddle with the hangouts settings.

Posted via Nexus 6P

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Turns out hangouts cant be disabled. Hangouts is in fact the back door for wifi calling while airplane modes on.
That's some good information but unfortunately it doesn't make a difference on the N beta: still doesn't work for me.