No Audio on Nexus 6p

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I have a nexus 6p running the latest beta of Android N. Last night I started getting strange popping sounds from the speaker which I've never experienced before.

This morning I almost missed an appointment because the alarm didn't play. I checked the volume and while I can adjust all the volume bars, they turn to a grey shade of blue after I set them instead of the usual brighter color (I can't remember if this is normal behaviour). So I'm getting no sound from any apps. When I try to play music from Google Play I get a failed to play at this time, YouTube does the same thing. It's not a video issue though because I can still watch things on vlc, they just have no sound.

I would think it's a problem with the beta but I've been running it for months with no problem like this so I'm reluctant to wipe and start over back on M without knowing its the issue. I haven't seen this reported as a bug anywhere else. If it's not an issue with the beta though what could it be? It's as if the audio module is crashing... No amount of rebooting is making a difference either. Plugging in earphones also doesn't help.

I've also noticed the microphone isn't working. Google now says unable to open microphone.

Last edited:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
It sure sounds like a hardware problem, but without reloading a stock image you can't rule out some weird software issue.

Sebastian Berge

Jul 10, 2016
Visit site
I got exactly the same issue, happened a few days ago aswell. Tried fresh installs of 6.0.1, that did not work. So I updated to Nougat Beta now to see if it did the trick, but still the same issue.

Althiels

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
I got exactly the same issue, happened a few days ago aswell. Tried fresh installs of 6.0.1, that did not work. So I updated to Nougat Beta now to see if it did the trick, but still the same issue.

I just had the same problem: microphone, speakers and audio jack all cut out on me. It even hangs up when trying to make a phone call. I'm on nougat. Tried a bunch of restarts, safe mode and factory reset, nothing helped. Ended up calling google and they are sending a refurb as I am still luckily under warranty. Anyone else run in to this or find a way to fix it? Just seems so weird that I would love to know if there was a fix, even though the new unit is on the way.

Sebastian Berge

Jul 10, 2016
Visit site
I just had the same problem: microphone, speakers and audio jack all cut out on me. It even hangs up when trying to make a phone call. I'm on nougat. Tried a bunch of restarts, safe mode and factory reset, nothing helped. Ended up calling google and they are sending a refurb as I am still luckily under warranty. Anyone else run in to this or find a way to fix it? Just seems so weird that I would love to know if there was a fix, even though the new unit is on the way.

The strange thing is, it suddenly worked again for me after not using it for a month. Maybe there is moistute that made it weird, and just letting it sit still dried it up.

It stopped working again with the same problem after a few days, going to try the same thing

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed that ever since Nougat, call ringtones stop playing after a (random) while and I have to reboot to get them to play again. I can't remember if other sounds (e.g., task notifications) also stop working, and I just rebooted so I'll have to wait for the next instance to see. The problem definitely started with Nougat and is resolved with a reboot, and so I'm 99.99% sure it's related to a Nougat bug.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21