Terrible phone call quality, is it the phone or Verizon?

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Phone call quality is awful, I'm told I'm not understandable and frequently I can't here the other party. I was a lot happy with AT&T on my N5 but I switched to Verizon when I got the 6P last year because of the lack of VoLTE support on AT&T, I'm wondering if that was a mistake.

Is anyone happy with the quality of phone calls, which carrier are you using?

Dgray2712

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site
I'm on Verizon, and everything seems to be crystal clear. Are you using Bluetooth? It could be the headset. If not, you may have a defective unit.

Posted on my Nexus 6P via the Android Central App

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I have Verizon and I've had similar issues with calls on the 6P. I've been switching between the 6P and the S7 Edge. I drop calls and am told that I break up a lot when on the 6P. Doesn't happen when I'm on the S7.

I have read a lot of good things about the 6P call quality so I'm wondering if it's a combo of Verizon and the 6P. I wouldn't put it past Verizon to not support it the same as a device like the S7. The call quality on the S7 is perfect.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm on Verizon, and everything seems to be crystal clear. Are you using Bluetooth? It could be the headset. If not, you may have a defective unit.

Posted on my Nexus 6P via the Android Central App
That's good to hear. Everything else is perfect. It's just calls that are an issue.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Verizon doesn't support the 6P on all of their LTE bands even though the 6P is capable of using all of Verizon's bands, maybe that's the problem. Are any AT&T users experiencing the same thing?

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I have the 6p on Verizon, and my call quality is clear. Try swapping out the sim card. That might be it it could also be a defective phone as mentioned as well.

Jim Devine

Aug 14, 2016
Visit site
I have experienced really poor quality with my 6p. I've replaced the Sim, replaced the device under warranty as instructed, done a total refresh of the os, etc. What I was told by an honest Verizon rep is that since the 6p is an unlocked device, it is not "optimized" for the Verizon network. As such, it will likely have call quality issues, especially outside of metropolitan areas, where cell tower saturation isn't as dense.
I love the pure android experience, I am hoping Verizon or Google acknowledge the issue and provide a fix.
Does anyone have further details or any suggestions?
I am waiting for the Nougat update to try one more fresh update in hopes that might help.

Jim Devine

Aug 14, 2016
Visit site
I'm having similar issues, the 6p is not "optimized" for the Verizon network because it's an unlocked device. An honest Verizon rep suggested they know about the issue, but it effects a small percentage of customers, so they aren't in a hurry to resolve. As more unlocked devices come on the market, they will address the issue (supposedly). Really disappointed, I love the phone, but the call quality and dropped calls is becoming an issue.

Jim Devine

Aug 14, 2016
Visit site
It's Verizon, they do not support any unlocked phones well. I'm about to switch to AT&T for the same reason, disappointed, been with Verizon for 16 years.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm about to switch to AT&T for the same reason, disappointed, been with Verizon for 16 years.
Seems like it would be better to get a Verizon device and just ditch the 6P.
The S7 Edge or Note 7 are both supported devices that are in a similar size range, and Big Red wouldn't be able to give you any b/s about call quality then.

Or, if you're in a switching mood anyway, you could try Google Fi first and see what kind of results you get - I've been fairly happy with it (coming from Verizon).

Jim Devine

Aug 14, 2016
Visit site
Same fact pattern, including the fact my family's all using iPhone's on Verizon in the exact locations with absolutely no call quality problems.

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
My nexus 6p is in for repairs I'm using a Moto z force. It definitely has better reception than the 6p

Posted via the Android Central App

dnf7784

May 16, 2015
Visit site
I left verizon due to poor signal in my house. It was poor with my S6 also. Now I am on project fi and get a much better signal. I did find out that the phone makes great calls on hangouts. So I would not be surprised if it was verizon. They have degraded over the years IMO.

NotFromHere

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I have a 6p on Verizon, and i wanted to chime in to this discussion to say that I've had no call quality issues at all. This phone serves as my primary line for work, using a Google Voice number. I talk on this phone a couple of hours a day in my home office and literally all over the country on work trips, including calls made while in the car on the interstate/freeway. Really, no issues at all.

Before this phone I had a Verizon Droid Maxx, so I simply swapped the SIM from that phone to this one when I got the N6p at Christmas time last year. Would that have made a difference? I wonder if the SIM was already "optimized"? I don't know. I'm dubious of that concept, but I do know that this phone has been rock solid on Verizon for me.

NotFromHere

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Are you in a metropolitan area or suburbs? I'm being told cell tower density has an impact?

I'm in Cincinnati, OH, in the city, not the distant suburbs. When I travel though I'm kind of all over the place, big cities and smaller towns, and I always use the phone for voice calls regularly and without issues.