Not a fan of native messaging app...options ?

Nexus6Kowalski

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
Can anyone recommend a more full featured messenger or text messaging app ?

Needs/Wants:

• Repeat notitications
  • customized text size for text messages only
  • more control over the look and feel of the app
  • no ads

I refuse to heap anything resembling praise upon Samsung and AT&T but the touchwiz or whatever messaging app I had on my galaxy was more full featured.
Surely there is something available in the app store but I didnt see much.

Cane Prevost

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
I've actually been using Facebook messenger for a few weeks. I message on Facebook a lot so it's nice to have one app for both. Not sure if I'll keep it but have had no problems so far.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Textra is a great alternative. I went back to google messenger because the lack of Android Wear support. You get notifications and you can view the combo but only if you get a text. If you dismiss it, you can't look at it unless you get another text from that person on your watch. Native Google messenger allows you to view any Convo and reply to it.

Indyrobb

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Check out material messaging by Noah Seidman. It has lots of options for theming without going overboard. You can schedule texts, repeat notifications, specific notifications, colors per person etc. And you can turn on and off what you want and don't want.

I've attached a few screenshots. Oh, and no ads! It does ask for a dollar donation, but you can actually turn that off too if you want without paying.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 14480.jpg
    14480.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 110

Indyrobb

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Well I guess I can only do one at a time thru the app.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 14482.jpg
    14482.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 107

TJA3500

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
Chomp has many customizations available. I used to use it until started using Message + which does every thing I need.

Last edited:

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Once Textra gives us full Android wear support where you can open previous chats on the watch, I'll go right back

SupermanJon707

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
Once Textra gives us full Android wear support where you can open previous chats on the watch, I'll go right back

We'll see if and when more Android wear watches come out and hopefully they can do better

I still think Smartwatch could of waited a bit longer for better battery tech and usefulness

Posted via the awesome Nexus 6P 111GB on T-Mobile :3

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site

+1 for Textra.

Regarding Android Wear, I use "Coffee" for text messages on my watch. I disable Textra notifications on the watch. Coffee also has some pretty innovative features for dealing with SMS using the watch.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I think that's still a pretty niche feature for them to focus on in the grand scheme of things.
True but with Android Wear being going onto its 2nd gen, 1st gen versions are getting cheaper and more affordable. I have notice more people with smartwatch on now then beginning of the year just from people watching at airports.

Its still a small market but with the popularity of Textra and added functionality, it would be a very good option to to google messenger or adding 3rd party apps.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
+1 for Textra.

Regarding Android Wear, I use "Coffee" for text messages on my watch. I disable Textra notifications on the watch. Coffee also has some pretty innovative features for dealing with SMS using the watch.
I'll have to check it out

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay