6P as a Hotspot on Verizon Unlimited?

Joe Mags

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I seem to recall when the 6P first came out that it was allowing you to use it as a Hotspot without a subscription check. Can anyone confirm if this is still the case? Also, (and I realize this is pure speculation) what are the chances that the new HTC Nexus phones will allow this?

Tom Westrick

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
I seem to recall when the 6P first came out that it was allowing you to use it as a Hotspot without a subscription check. Can anyone confirm if this is still the case? Also, (and I realize this is pure speculation) what are the chances that the new HTC Nexus phones will allow this?

It isn't. I just tried it (I'm on Cricket though) through the Hotspot section in settings and it does the subscription check.

One alternative I use is an app called EasyTether Pro. I've been using it off and on for the past four and a half years now, and I've never had any troubles with it. There is a free version you can use to try it, and the Pro is a one time $10 purchase (well worth it in my mind).

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It isn't. I just tried it (I'm on Cricket though) through the Hotspot section in settings and it does the subscription check.

One alternative I use is an app called EasyTether Pro. I've been using it off and on for the past four and a half years now, and I've never had any troubles with it. There is a free version you can use to try it, and the Pro is a one time $10 purchase (well worth it in my mind).

I think that's a Cricket issue. As far as I know like the third gen Moto X and fourth gen Moto G, it's not blocked on Verizon.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Dgray2712

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site
The device is capable. It's the carrier's decision to allow. Verizon does include hotspot service as part of their service. I haven't used it much, but it does work well.

Posted on my Nexus 6P via the Android Central App

Joe Mags

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
It's definitely partly determine by the phone/operating system. There is a line something to effect of "send subscription check". If this is "no" it won't send a check to the carrier and will just work. My Gnex would not check and tethering just worked. My current N6 sends the check and I get the message from Verizon saying I can't tether on my plan. I am on a grandfathered unlimited data plan with Verizon. I'm fairly sure the 6P did not send the check when it was first released, but it may have been changed in an update since. Can someone with a 6P on Verizon Unlimited data please check this?

ccps

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Same here. 6p, Verizon unlimited (yes I still have it:)) and i use the hotspot on a daily 100+gig a month basis. I still have only dsl (DOH) available.