Nexus 6p, can't find how to set different notification sounds for email, texts, etc.

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm trying to help my daughter, who just bought a Nexus 6P and signed up with Project Fi. She is coming back to Android from iOS and learning her way around again. She wants to have different tones for email, texts, and other apps so she'll know the difference if she's received a text or an email or a missed call. I asked her if she had checked within the app settings and not just the phone settings and she said she had. Since I've never handled a 6P and don't know anyone who has one, and we live far apart and I can't run over and look at her phone, I don't know how to help her.
Can someone with a 6P let me know how you can set different notification tones for apps? Thanks!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
They are definitely in the app settings. We can walk you though how to find them. Is she using the "Messenger" app and Gmail? Or different apps?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
It's certainly in the various apps.

For example, in the Messenger app select the hamburger menu (three dots in the upper right corner), then Settings -> Sounduploadfromtaptalk1469593022947.png

She might also be interested in an app such as Light Flow https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...geconsulting.android.lightflow&token=wVeQE9Vn which allows you to configure the LED to flash different colors depending on the app which generates the notification (ex. flash blue if a Messenger notification, flash red for a missed call, etc).

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
In Gmail it's a little more convoluted - swipe in from the left side of the screen, select Settings (which is all the way at the bottom of the list) -> Gmail account -> Inbox sound & vibrate -> Sounduploadfromtaptalk1469593641864.png

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
If she needs specific instructions for other apps let us know, but they should be similar in nature - find the Settings option for the specific application and wander around until you find it.

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
They are definitely in the app settings. We can walk you though how to find them. Is she using the "Messenger" app and Gmail? Or different apps?
I am not sure which messaging app she is using, I will ask her. She does use Gmail, for sure. I told her there is a setting for Gmail to pick your notification sound. I'm not sure why she can't find it....wish I was closer so I could run over and help her! :)

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I forgot about Light Flow, but I really think she can find those settings. I think her iPhone fried her brain! Lol! She used to be very good with her Android phones several years ago. She is having to relearn. thank you!

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Thank you GSDer. She insisted she couldn't find it and I was beginning to think her Gmail account settings were different on the Nexus! I know I set all of mine through the apps, but I have a MXPE and a Galaxy S6, haven't had a Nexus device. Gmail should be Gmail regardless though, right?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Thank you GSDer.

Gmail should be Gmail regardless though, right?
You're welcome.

Yes, Gmail is Gmail - you should be able to follow the same directions on your device and find the sound settings. Let us know if there are other apps that she needs help with.

Unfortunately I couldn't find an app that I'd recommend which would allow you to remotely control her device from your phone - that way you'd be able to show her how to find the various settings necessary. However, you could use something like TeamViewer on your PC to accomplish that. She'd just have to install the TeamViewer client https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...teamviewer.quicksupport.market&token=lYQSMzEv on her phone to enable that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis