Why does my cellular network come and go?

batzbeyond

Jul 27, 2016
Visit site
Recently, my Nexus 6p has been losing signal and then it comes back... sometimes. I'm not sure if it's a problem with my phone or what, but my carrier says I should have excellent signal, where I live. When the signal goes away, it shows an X beside the triangle that usually has bars in it, but in this case it has no bars. Also, it says "Emergency Calls Only". I tried restarting my Nexus 6p, and the signal came back but after a few minutes it was gone. I don't want to continuesly be restarting my phone, so please help me out. Thank you. :) btw I'm not sure, but my sim card may be broken because when I popped it out of the sim card it bent a tiny bit and I heard some crunching. But it's weird cause I can call and text but my data is having the problem I stated above. I have not dropped it and re-seating my sim didn't do anything. but thank you.

Last edited:

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Has there been any change recently? An update? Was the phone dropped at all, etc? What you are describing sounds like the radios are having a problem locking into the right towers... "Emergency Calls Only" means either you are connecting to a tower that isn't your carrier, or it is not negotiating properly with the tower and the tower is not authorizing your phone as an in-network device.

Try re-seating your SIM card.. .maybe that's a bit off kilter.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
What carrier are you with?
How does the device work when you're somewhere other than where you live?