Windows 8.1 doesn't see Nexus 6p via USB

paulwallace1234

Jul 30, 2016
Visit site
Hi Ladies and Gents,

Moved over here from CrackBerry :)

I've just got myself a Nexus 6p H1512 running stock and non-rooted 6.01 MM, I'm trying to enable file transfers from my PC but for some reason the PC seems completely oblivious to the device, I mean it does obsoletely nothing (Charges that's it), no sound from the PC (nothing in device manager) and the device itself shows nothing, no charging notification (my Nexus 5 on the other hand works fine on the same PC/USB port).

I have Dev mode enabled with USB Degugging enabled alongside USB Configuration set to MPT in Dev Options

Was wondering if the USB cable was damaged but have no other USB-C handy and it seems to charge fine.

Done the obvious different ports and rebooted both.
Pretty new to Android stuff so any help would be appreciated. :)

Thanks

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
If the Nexus 5 still shows up on Windows, you may want to clear your adb drivers and devices and install the google drivers again.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Sorry there isn't a catch all, I remember struggling with drivers a LOT on Windows 8.1 until I got Windows 10. If that doesn't work, the next step is going to be to try to use a toolkit to get the drivers to work correctly.

paulwallace1234

Jul 30, 2016
Visit site
You'll have to excuse the shakiness, the 6p's cable is bloody tiny my front ports are too high

https://youtu.be/7x5hnfxdQ2s

I plug the device in at about 3ish seconds, you see that it does nothing at all but charge

Windows 10 doesn't play nicely with my PC at all, ranging from ruining my HDMI output to activation issues so that's a no go; and it actually corrupted all my drivers last time I rolled back to 8.1 (but that was a while ago)

pappy35

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't recall exactly where it is, but I just did a huge download to my phone ("moving in" from my now obsolete Note 5) from my Windows 10 laptop so I know this works on a bone stock phone. I do have Developer Options enabled but I'm not sure if this plays a part in this. I did not need to install any drivers or anything like that. There was a popup of some kind on my phone that gave me several different choices. Among them were "Charge", "File Transfer", and a few others. Plug it in and swipe down maybe? If/when you see this menu, select "File Transfer" and then it shows up in as a mounted device.

paulwallace1234

Jul 30, 2016
Visit site
I don't recall exactly where it is, but I just did a huge download to my phone ("moving in" from my now obsolete Note 5) from my Windows 10 laptop so I know this works. I did not need to install any drivers or anything like that. There was a popup of some kind on my phone that gave me several different choices. Among them were "Charge", "File Transfer", and a few others. Plug it in and swipe down maybe? If/when you see this menu, select "File Transfer" and then it shows up in as a mounted device.

Nope, nothing like that; Nexus 5 plays fine; 6p does nothing; I am on 8.1 though not 10

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Are you using the cable that came with it and a USB C slot or the adapter that came with it or another cable?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech