Nexu 6P owners with Nexus Protect: Has anyone actually filed a claim?

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Here we are, a month since I decided to RMA my original 6P. As of today, after receiving my FOURTH dud device, I've had it.

The first RMA was due to the issue with the headphone jack. After that issue was taken care of with the device I received, I then started experiencing issues with phone calls, where at random times during a given call, I couldn't hear the other party, but the other party could hear me, and vice versa.

I've now received 4 RMA devices, each with earlier and earlier manufacture dates, each with terrible crackling speakers. This latest one received today is the worst one yet.

For reference, the date of manufacture of my original phone was October 31. The dates of manufacture of the replacement phones have been:

Replacement #1 October 31 (current phone; speakers are fine, but it has the latest issue in question)

Replacement #2: October 21 (crappy speakers)

Replacemet #3: October 15 (crapPIER speakers)

Replacemet #4: October 6 (CrapPIEST) speakers)

So, my question is, has anyone here filed a claim and used Nexus Protect, instead of just going through the RMA process? If so, have you had ANY issues whatsoever with these phones? Are they actually NEW phones, or more of the same refurbished crap? Is filing a claim essentially the same as doing an RMA, but with the added headache of a deductible charge?

I'm asking because I'm completely losing faith that I will ever get another properly functioning phone again, especially if all I keep getting is replacements that have older and older manufacture dates. Now that I'm being charged the deductible, I have even more to lose. Please share your experiences with me, and try to give me some hope here. Thanks.

TheDoctor 46

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Sorry I don't have a reply, but I want to get this thread bumped to the top. I skipped over the Nexus warranty, but felt I should have ordered it just in case I cracked my 6p screen. If what they are sending you are refurbished phones then that's unacceptable to charge beyond the initial warranty cost. I'd like to hear from others that have used it too.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forest Dane

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
Nexus protect doesn't exist afaik in Europe as we're covered by guarantee anyway by law.
I sent my first phone back as the fingerprint scanner packed in. This one has been fine since apart from a flaky moment with the fast charger.

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Here we are, a month since I decided to RMA my original 6P. As of today, after receiving my FOURTH dud device, I've had it.

The first RMA was due to the issue with the headphone jack. After that issue was taken care of with the device I received, I then started experiencing issues with phone calls, where at random times during a given call, I couldn't hear the other party, but the other party could hear me, and vice versa.

I've now received 4 RMA devices, each with earlier and earlier manufacture dates, each with terrible crackling speakers. This latest one received today is the worst one yet.

For reference, the date of manufacture of my original phone was October 31. The dates of manufacture of the replacement phones have been:

Replacement #1 October 31 (current phone; speakers are fine, but it has the latest issue in question)

Replacement #2: October 21 (crappy speakers)

Replacemet #3: October 15 (crapPIER speakers)

Replacemet #4: October 6 (CrapPIEST) speakers)

So, my question is, has anyone here filed a claim and used Nexus Protect, instead of just going through the RMA process? If so, have you had ANY issues whatsoever with these phones? Are they actually NEW phones, or more of the same refurbished crap? Is filing a claim essentially the same as doing an RMA, but with the added headache of a deductible charge?

I'm asking because I'm completely losing faith that I will ever get another properly functioning phone again, especially if all I keep getting is replacements that have older and older manufacture dates. Now that I'm being charged the deductible, I have even more to lose. Please share your experiences with me, and try to give me some hope here. Thanks.

I do not have Nexus protect, but I've had similar issues to yours returning phones. The first phone I bought which was new, had horrible crackling when I would take videos. All the videos I took have crackling and popping sounds in them. So they exchanged it for another one. That phone was fine until a month ago, it stopped being able to get a carrier signal. The cell chip inside it broke or something. So they exchanged it for a refurbished, and 3 refurbished phones later I still have the same issue as when I first got the phone. There's crackling and popping in the video. Every refurbished phone they sent me has this issue. So I just gave up. I really hope you have better luck, because I know how frustrating it can be

Indyrobb

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Sorry you're having issues! I feel your pain and as you know I've had the same problem. My initial exchange was thru nexus protect and had to pay the 75 dollar deductible and got the first of 3 refurbished replacements - 1 from nexus protect and 2 from Google store directly.

I was assured each time their quality assurance was 100% or better but I've lost faith in them completely, especially after reading what you've gone thru as well. I know complaints make up the minority of what we read about, however when you read about going thru things over and under it just can't be coincidence or bad luck.

I was seriously considering just going to buy a new one since they dropped in price so much. Now it WAS my fault that I had to go thru the entire hassle to begin with and I now regret that rash decision!

Keep us updated.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Thank you to everyone who has commented so far. My claim was approved, as I received notice via email yesterday. I'm now awaiting a shipping confirmation.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
My initial exchange was thru nexus protect and had to pay the 75 dollar deductible and got the first of 3 refurbished replacements
I'm disappointed to hear that Nexus Protect doesn't provide a new replacement device - after paying the monthly fee AND the deductible I would expect a little more than a refurbished device; that's what the basic warranty coverage should provide. Hope I never have to find out myself.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
It's been two days since I received the approval email regarding my claim, with still no shipping confirmation. I figure the longer it takes, the better the chances of receiving a properly functioning phone, if not a new one all together. While I'm willing to be patient, I'm also anxious.

carlos12001

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
I couldn't do it because I bought the phone from Best Buy, and not Google. Google told me I had to go through Huawei, and that was a pretty pitiful experience.

Graymonkey

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
I've had call connectivity issues since I bought the phone 4 months ago. I've contacted Fi customer service numerous times. The last time they said they would send me a replacement if I wanted. I asked if it would be new or a refurb. They said it would be a refurb so I declined. It's only a phone. I guess it's not meant to make phone calls. /sigh/

Indyrobb

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
No monthly fee here, but I agree that when paying a fee up front and then the deductible you should be pretty sure you're going to get a very good device if not new.

But... That's just not the case unfortunately. I even got a little more than firm with the last call going so far to ask for a new one, because after having a few bad ones you do sort of lose hope in their "QA" dept. I was even told that by the last tech that he was able to arrange a new one to be shipped (via email even) however when I got that shipping notice, it said refurbished and when I called in, they told me it wasn't even possible for them to get a new one... Really? Their own support? Their own store? And not to stand by the email that was sent?

The only thing I question on this one though is the screen as far as the sensor is concerned with touching/typing. I feel like I'm needing to retype most of what I've swiped on SwiftKey because it's the wrong word all together or when I am trying to go to a link, it seems I'm "off" a lot. So I'm either having issues with the screen, or I've developed a bad case of something I don't know what. (i had to correct like 18 words here, - wedding instead of word? ARGH! )

fredo9000

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
My son got the 6P just a week ago. Last night a small dot appeared in the middle of the screen while using the rear camera. I can NOT believe Google's solution to this problem is to offer him a REFURBISHED phone. UTTER NONSENSE!!!

He paid for a NEW phone and a week later they're going to send him a refurbished one? Totally unacceptable.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
No monthly fee here, but I agree that when paying a fee up front and then the deductible you should be pretty sure you're going to get a very good device if not new.

But... That's just not the case unfortunately. I even got a little more than firm with the last call going so far to ask for a new one, because after having a few bad ones you do sort of lose hope in their "QA" dept. I was even told that by the last tech that he was able to arrange a new one to be shipped (via email even) however when I got that shipping notice, it said refurbished and when I called in, they told me it wasn't even possible for them to get a new one... Really? Their own support? Their own store? And not to stand by the email that was sent?

The only thing I question on this one though is the screen as far as the sensor is concerned with touching/typing. I feel like I'm needing to retype most of what I've swiped on SwiftKey because it's the wrong word all together or when I am trying to go to a link, it seems I'm "off" a lot. So I'm either having issues with the screen, or I've developed a bad case of something I don't know what. (i had to correct like 18 words here, - wedding instead of word? ARGH! )

The only time you get a new phone is within the initial return period or if they run out of refurbs. Even with protection plans you usually get returns but some warranty companies will give you a new one after you have exchanged a phone three times or if they run out.

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
My son got the 6P just a week ago. Last night a small dot appeared in the middle of the screen while using the rear camera. I can NOT believe Google's solution to this problem is to offer him a REFURBISHED phone. UTTER NONSENSE!!!

He paid for a NEW phone and a week later they're going to send him a refurbished one? Totally unacceptable.

They have 14 day return policy. If they won't give a new phone just return it and buy a new one.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Just to update folks, I went ahead and got a brand new, sealed 64 GB Matte Gold 6P from Swappa for a great deal from a local seller. I had to jump on it, even though I was already waiting on a refurbished replacement 32 GB Aluminum from Google.

I received the new device yesterday, and the replacement device today. Incidentally, the refurb is in excellent shape, both cosmetically and functionally (finally), lol. I've therefore listed it for sale on eBay.

Posted via the Golden 6Premium