Just ordered 64gb Aluminum

hybrisate

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone. I just ordered a 64gb Aluminum Nexus 6P from Best Buy. I had them price match Newegg.com and got it down to $399. I'm pretty happy to get the 64gb at that price.

I had been using my 3rd Gen Moto G for a few months before recently damaging the screen pretty bad. Now I am back on my 1st Gen Moto G and it's painful to say the least. I had my heart set on a Galaxy S7 proper, but cannot afford it at its current price. I was looking forward to the camera, display, and overall size.

Should I have any 2nd thoughts about bypassing the S7 here? I'm nervous about a 1 year old phone with the 810, but it seems like a good deal. I'm also worried about size especially coming from smaller form factors, but I think I'm warming up to the idea of a larger display. Definitely a stock Android fan. Also will be bummed if the larger of the 2 Nexii phones is a similar price, but I can't imagine getting 64gb HTC for less than $500.

Any thoughts or opinions are welcome and valued! Thanks!.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone. I just ordered a 64gb Aluminum Nexus 6P from Best Buy. I had them price match Newegg.com and got it down to $399. I'm pretty happy to get the 64gb at that price.

I had been using my 3rd Gen Moto G for a few months before recently damaging the screen pretty bad. Now I am back on my 1st Gen Moto G and it's painful to say the least. I had my heart set on a Galaxy S7 proper, but cannot afford it at its current price. I was looking forward to the camera, display, and overall size.

Should I have any 2nd thoughts about bypassing the S7 here? I'm nervous about a 1 year old phone with the 810, but it seems like a good deal. I'm also worried about size especially coming from smaller form factors, but I think I'm warming up to the idea of a larger display. Definitely a stock Android fan. Also will be bummed if the larger of the 2 Nexii phones is a similar price, but I can't imagine getting 64gb HTC for less than $500.

Nobody knows about pricing of the new nexus, I would assume Google is going to do something similar to what they did last year (smaller one a little cheaper, larger one a little more). If you only have $399 the 6p isn't bad. You could always go with the newer OnePlus3 which has better specs, pretty much stock android, and more ram/newer processor.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I can't imagine that Marlin will be priced less than the 6P was originally priced, I wouldn't be surprised if it's higher. HTC is a Taiwanese company that is already well known in America, Huawei had no consumer presence in America before the 6P so it was worth it to them to underprice the 6P just to get a foothold outside of China, HTC can't afford to do that so I would expect a higher price.

The S7 has Touchwiz, that's a pretty strong argument for avoiding it, I wouldn't have even considered it.

The 6P has front facing stereo speakers, Marlin has a single downfiring speaker, that's a reason to prefer the 6P. Both have QHD AMOLED screens, the 6P is a little bigger, I think that's a point in the 6Ps favor, Marlin will have an 820 or 821 CPU which will be faster than the 810 in the 6P but I don't think anyone is unhappy with the 6Ps performance. I'm not planning on upgrading until the 2017 Nexus phones, the 830 CPU will be even better and maybe there will some really significant improvement like dual cameras, the Marlin has a single 12MP camera just like the 6P.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
The S7 has Touchwiz, that's a pretty strong argument for avoiding it, I wouldn't have even considered it.

Guys, lets really stop with this garbage none sense stuff. I have note 5 and Galaxy Tab S2 in addition to 6p, and 5x. And I can tell you from my personal experience that touchwize is NOT the lagy heavy skin that it was few years back. My note 5 is a million times faster, smoother and better than 5x and is as fast and smooth as my 6p. NO LAG period.

And oh, I had my galaxy tab S 2 since it came out and it is the best table I have ever owned and I owned many. That tablet has tons of games that my 4 year old son playes in addition to tons of apps and I never had to factory rest that tablet not even ONCE. Still smooth like butter and lag free.

So please people, stop the "oh it's touchwize, it lags". You can say you don't like how touchwize skin looks, and you have every right to do so, but to keep saying touchwize lags, we'll that's just not the case any more.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Why do you have both a Note 5 and 6P? Aren't they pretty comparable?
6p is an oversized pure android experience.
Note 5 is a special phablet with its spen capabilites and special features to take advantage of the 5.7 screen.

Do I need both? not really, but just can't stop this phone madness lol

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site

I can't speak for you or anyone else, but in my own personal experience, the 6P is exactly what I want in a phone. Everything works exactly the way I want it to. There are so many reasons to pick a Nexus over other brands (for me, at least). The UI is intuitive and bloat-free, the monthly updates mean that I'm significantly ahead of the curve (especially since I'm running the Android N dev preview) and so any security threats found are quickly patched. The phone is encrypted by default. The fingerprint reader works wonderfully and is fast. No button to press, no turning on the screen first, etc. I never thought I'd care about it, to be honest, but it works so well I've really gotten to rely on it. The phone itself is beautiful with excellent build quality. I love my 64GB Frost edition.

The camera is also excellent, as are the front-facing speakers. I was considering getting an Amazon Echo, but I really don't need/want it. The 6P works perfectly for playing music or listening to a podcast or anything else. The bluetooth has been flawless for me thus far. I had an HTC One M8 before this, and there were occasional bluetooth issues with my car. The 6P was paired once and has never had any problems with dropped connections (I have a 2014 Corolla if you're curious).

I'm also on Project Fi, which is really awesome and much cheaper than my alternatives. I especially like the fact that I can travel around the world and never worry about finding a local carrier - Fi has me covered, and it doesn't charge me anything extra for it.

The size of the phone is a bit awkward to get used to, but during that honeymoon phase, you'll probably be holding it so much that you'll adjust quickly.

Again, I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, the UI (stock Android with no bloat) is significantly better than the Samsung alternatives. I really just do not like the Samsung UI. It's a lot better now than it used to be, but I still just can't enjoy the GS7 when I've looked at it at Best Buy and a local Verizon store.

As for the 6P's speed with the 810 processor - you're very unlikely to notice any difference between the 6P and the GS7 or any other top-end phone, even if the other phone is running the 820. Any speed gain the 820 provides is quickly wiped away by the bloatware that comes with the phone. There's no heat issues, either. I've never felt my 6P get hot to the touch or even very warm. It warms up on the charger, but I can't even call it "very warm" let alone "hot."

Anyway, for me, the 6P does the job perfectly. I wouldn't trade it for any other phone on the market today - unless that phone was worth a lot more than the 6P, in which case I'd make the trade, sell the new phone, and buy another 6P :p

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer