Static in headphones while streaming music on Nexus 6p

Swyman17

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
Hello All,
Wondering if anyone has encountered my issue. I sporadically get static in my wired headphones while listening to music on my 6p. This is a very long drawn out issue so I'll try to summarize the best I can. I cannot reproduce the problem on queue but it seems to happen most when I'm streaming music while moving around (jogging for instance) or when listening at max volume (which isn't very loud). Below is a list of things I've done/tried to no avail to this point.

1. Tried several different pairs of headphones of different brands (Sony MDR-X10, Bose SoundSport in-ear to name a couple). This also included headphones with two and three rings
2. Tried listening to downloaded music rather than streaming (still happens but not as frequently)
3. Tried several different streaming apps (Google Play, Amazon Music, IHeart radio)
4. Opened a case with Google. They sent me a new device to which I recreated the problem on the second song.
5. Verified there is nothing in the actual headphone jack (lint or other foreign object).
6. Sent Google a video example of the problem happening. (They have offered to send me yet another phone or just have me wait for a system update)
7. Tested some Bluetooth headphones. (Never had the issue with Bluetooth and the volume is actually much louder)
8. Loaded Nougat Beta yesterday but unfortunately the problem continues.

The only workaround currently is:
1. Pause then skip back a song or two until the problem goes away.
2. Turn on the EQ (referring to within Google Play). I typically have the EQ turned off because I prefer the sound better.

The next step I plan to take is:
1. Test adding a Bluetooth adapter to my MCR-X10's and see if I find a difference.

Any other suggestions or idea PLEASE let me know. This has been ongoing since I got my phone in December and drives me nuts as I listen to music quite often. Anyone else experience this?

Thanks in advance!

atakin77

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Any chance you have lint or other debris in the headphone port? I had similar issues on another phone from lint from my pocket. Once I cleaned that out a bit the sound was fine.

Swyman17

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks a ton for the reply. I did try Safe Mode but still no resolution which made sense because it has happened since I took it out of the box. My work around to this point has been buying a bluetooth device to plug into my headphones. Sound quality isn't quite the same but at least I haven't had the problem again for about 3 weeks. I go back to the same headphones wired and it happens. Seems like my hand is forced to upgrade to bluetooth headphones in the future :(.