"Clear all" is back

JCHAOS

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Clear all for recent items is back. scroll down through the items to the end and "Clear All" shows up.

pappy35

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, that's great as is how they've cut the number of idle apps from the list. This helps as now you don't have to scroll through every app you've ever opened and not specifically shut down in or to get to the Clear All...

HaboobZ

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I miss this feature from my G4 - one of the few features I miss.

Still not on N though, waiting for OTA and any potential battery issues to be fixed - I'm in no rush. But I am happy this feature is going to be available when I do update.

Billy Bob Jimmy Joe

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
My gripe with the "clear all" function is that it should be on the bottom right and should always be in view when you press the "recent apps" button. When I open a lot of apps then press the "recent apps" button it would not be in view unless you swipe downwards. Notice the "clear all" on the top right.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160825-212306.jpg
    Screenshot_20160825-212306.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 53

PittDucky

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
For years, we've been told it's never a good idea to clear all apps, and that's why we don't have it.

So now that it's here, should we assume it's a good practice or did Google just give in to what people were asking for?

HaboobZ

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
My gripe with the "clear all" function is that it should be on the bottom right and should always be in view when you press the "recent apps" button. When I open a lot of apps then press the "recent apps" button it would not be in view unless you swipe downwards. Notice the "clear all" on the top right.

Completely agree.

For years, we've been told it's never a good idea to clear all apps, and that's why we don't have it.

So now that it's here, should we assume it's a good practice or did Google just give in to what people were asking for?

Why would it not be a good idea? I've never heard that it wasn't a good idea.

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Clearing apps wastes battery. Wastes battery while you are doing the action and wastes battery /slower while the app is launching fresh instead of resuming from ram. I never do it.

HaboobZ

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
But leaving them open also keeps memory running, slowing your phone down, etc.

I always close open apps and have never had an issue with battery life or slow opening of apps afterwards.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
But leaving them open also keeps memory running
The memory is always 'running', whether there's anything in it or not, so it takes no more power to have memory full vs. empty.

With that said, if you have a bunch of apps running in the background there may be an impact to battery life because the CPU may ramp up to service those apps, or they may be utilizing data (which will use more power for the WiFi or cellular radios).

But just having 'stuff' in memory is irrelevant.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae