Strange audio playing when I shut down the phone (sometimes but not always)

ikon88

Aug 28, 2016
Visit site
Audio sometime plays when I shut down the phone. Not always but I always make sure all running apps are closed when I shutdown and have noticed no pattern as to when it will be triggered. It is annoying. I rooted the phone when it was new but decided to flash it back to stock with the original 6p image from google some time ago. I think this is being caused by an app I have installed but am not sure. The video below is not as clear as I would like, but there is no message being displayed, just the normal shutdown dialog and an icon in the status bar showing a media file is being played. Any help identifying what's going on is appreciated. It did this with Marshmallow and still does it with Nougat.

Here's a youtube link to a video of the issue.

https://youtu.be/dniCmJVbKCE

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
There's an audio file that plays when you shut the phone off. It sounds as if your "shutoff" file and that music file got intermixed somehow. (There are instructions all over the web for changing the startup and shutdown audio files, the problem is finding one to put into your phone instead of the corrupted one.)

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Strange, my device doesn't play any audio during shutdown (or during startup for that matter) - it just shows 'Shutting down' and there's a very brief vibration just before the screen turns off. I have all of the volume levels maxed out so it's not that I'm missing something.

ikon88

Aug 28, 2016
Visit site
booster_gold - Thanks for the reply, I'm curious, does it play the same sound file as mine? I use doggcatcher for podcasts and Smart AudioBook Player for audio books. Maybe one of those has modified the shutdown properties.

Last edited:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Here's a youtube link to a video of the issue.
In that YouTube video there's obviously something up in the Notification shade (two items actually) and it seems to show up right when you select the 'Power off' dialog. Do you recognize it? I can't see from the video what it is.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I use doggcatcher for podcasts and Smart AudioBook Player for audio books. Maybe one of those has modified the shutdown properties.
I installed Smart AudioBook Player
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...alizandro.smartaudiobookplayer&token=tbmPsa3C and it doesn't seem to be the cause of your problem; I even had it playing an audio file and then selected 'Power off' and the audio ended right away.

Unfortunately there's not a free version of the other app so I couldn't check it out.

ikon88

Aug 28, 2016
Visit site
I haven't been able to get a good picture of the icon that pops up, but It did it again this morning when I did a shutdown. I had 'Do not Disturb' on and also had the volume turned down to 'vibrate only' but the audio still played, just not as loudly. I'm going to start deleting non essential apps and see if I notice a change. I'll try and get a picture of it when I get a chance. It's hard to catch, sometimes only plays for about 2 seconds and I don't always have another phone handy to take the pic when I do the shutdown.

Last edited:

renegad3

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I haven't been able to get a good picture of the icon that pops up, but It did it again this morning when I did a shutdown. I had 'Do not Disturb' on and also had the volume turned down to 'vibrate only' but the audio still played, just not as loudly. I'm going to start deleting non essential apps and see if I notice a change. I'll try and get a picture of it when I get a chance. It's hard to catch, sometimes only plays for about 2 seconds and I don't always have another phone handy to take the pic when I do the shutdown.

Take a screenshot on the 6P, no need to use another camera.

ikon88

Aug 28, 2016
Visit site
I can't take a screenshot, the shutdown process starts and has already started killing processes. I'll keep trying but it's not on long enough for it to save the file in any case.

ikon88

Aug 28, 2016
Visit site
Update. I was bored waiting on an appointment and deleted several apps that were suspect. I have shut down about a dozen times without it happening again so far. I should have kept a list of the ones deleted but I didn't. The ones I remember are Gasbuddy (shows gas prices in your area), the Bestbuy app, and the Walmart app. There were several more but I was just getting rid of suspect apps that I never really used anyway and don't remember them all. I may start re-installing them one by one and see if the problem starts again. I have shut-down the phone about 10 times with no problems so far, nice quiet shutdown with the vibration at the end. I'll update this post if I find out which app was causing this problem for future readers.