Should the 6p be the last Nexus brand phone

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I vote no.

There is way too many other OEMs making Android phones and the Nexus phones are the standard of excellence now.

Sure Google has the right to call it what they want, but the name Nexus is synonymous with pure Android, bloat free.. even though that isn't 100% true.

I've always considered it to be a developers phone from the gitgo and have always admired how easy it is to modify the os or anything else on them. If they are wanting to become more mainstream and find a larger audience that's fine but if they turn this line into a cesspool of bloat and adverts then it's not worth owning IMHO.

My vote is no.. Continue to refine the os and the hardware, but continue being the only bloat free devices that are fully capable of being rooted and unlocked bootloaders....

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
It actually doesn't matter what we think, but it does make me look at replacing my N5 (which replaced myN4 which replaced my GNex which was when I was overshadowed by the Nexus) by purchasing the 6p or even the 5x so that I'll have time to get used to not owning a Nexus. For me, just another strike against this year's model.

Markxmlx

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I vote no.

There is way too many other OEMs making Android phones and the Nexus phones are the standard of excellence now.

Sure Google has the right to call it what they want, but the name Nexus is synonymous with pure Android, bloat free.. even though that isn't 100% true.

I've always considered it to be a developers phone from the gitgo and have always admired how easy it is to modify the os or anything else on them. If they are wanting to become more mainstream and find a larger audience that's fine but if they turn this line into a cesspool of bloat and adverts then it's not worth owning IMHO.

My vote is no.. Continue to refine the os and the hardware, but continue being the only bloat free devices that are fully capable of being rooted and unlocked bootloaders....

As far as I'm concerned they are just changing the name and a handful of software features to differentiate it. This might be one of the first devices to implement Google's new way of partitioning system-level features compared to user facing ones so in reality having a "Nexus UI" on top of Android shouldn't make any difference to the underlying core OS and it should be able to update without changing the user facing features such as what the software buttons look like or the shade of colour used for a notification.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
As far as I'm concerned they are just changing the name and a handful of software features to differentiate it. This might be one of the first devices to implement Google's new way of partitioning system-level features compared to user facing ones so in reality having a "Nexus UI" on top of Android shouldn't make any difference to the underlying core OS and it should be able to update without changing the user facing features such as what the software buttons look like or the shade of colour used for a notification.
Updating and the partitions is one thing, going good for them... But don't change core features of the Nexus nor add bloat or adds to the phone.

Markxmlx

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Updating and the partitions is one thing, going good for them... But don't change core features of the Nexus nor add bloat or adds to the phone.

If Google did that they would be participating in the one thing they desperately need to avoid - fragmentation. I highly doubt that they would go that far.

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
I think it will stay true to the basic concepts, I'd just prefer seeing "Nexus" on my phone as opposed to "Google."

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I vote no.

The Nexus was Google's vision of Android.

Standard of excellence? Probably in some people's eyes.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It actually doesn't matter what we think, but it does make me look at replacing my N5 (which replaced myN4 which replaced my GNex which was when I was overshadowed by the Nexus) by purchasing the 6p or even the 5x so that I'll have time to get used to not owning a Nexus. For me, just another strike against this year's model.

Yep. Google can do whatever they want. If they don't call it a Nexus, it's not a Nexus.

pappy35

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
They could call it "DogPile" for all I care as long as it gets timely updates and competes with other phones on the market. In my opinion, the 6P is the first to do that (compete that is) and so it was my first Nexus purchase and I couldn't be happier with it, especially after the Nougat rollout. I must admit though that there's a certain soiree with the brand. I actually had someone go "Oh...you have a Nexus!" as if that made me some kind of geek-God (which I'm def. not). Haha...

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
They could call it "DogPile" for all I care as long as it gets timely updates and competes with other phones on the market. In my opinion, the 6P is the first to do that (compete that is) and so it was my first Nexus purchase and I couldn't be happier with it, especially after the Nougat rollout. I must admit though that there's a certain soiree with the brand. I actually had someone go "Oh...you have a Nexus!" as if that made me some kind of geek-God (which I'm def. not). Haha...
I don't want it called "Dog pile".heaven's no.. .lol.. But I understand your meaning though.. I also know when people around me see me using mine at work.. Since my case hasn't showed up yet, and I am carefully using it naked, the people that see it usually ask me about it.. It's designed to be this way I think... Lol

Markxmlx

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

Oh! You have a DogPile phone! How cool!

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I feel as though from a naming or marketing standpoint, possibly, only because for the times that people ask me what kind of phone do I have I have to say Nexus phone I usually say I just have a Google phone because no one understands what the Nexus brand name actually means unless you're into Tech or a geek. I mean, let's be honest here. I mean don't get me wrong, I love the Nexus name just like everyone else here does but still.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
What's kinda funny to me, is just how many of the "informed" AT&T techs carry the Nexus phone. Their also the guys who get asked more questions on how to do things with Android in every AT&T store I have been in.. Kinda makes you wonder why..... Lol

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
If the new handsets do away with the Nexus features that I value, then I'll sit out for this release and keep my 5X and 6P. Ultimately our influence as consumers is to vote with our wallets.

Last edited:

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I vote no.

Makes no difference to me what they call it.

Graymonkey

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
If the quality doesn't improve, I hope this is the last Nexus phone. Can't make any calls with my phone (and have had trouble since it was new). Factory reset this weekend and if that doesn't work, I'll pay it off, buy an iPhone and sell this one. Always heard good things about Nexus phones. Maybe not.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I've always heard good things too, which is why I bought mine.Sorry you've had trouble with yours... If I start having trouble, I'll send it in and have it replaced or repaired, not just hope it corrects itself on a update. I normally don't rate 1 defective phone against the whole line though cause I know you can always get a lemon from anyone..