Kinda nice to have a phone that doesn't spontaneously combust

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
As was pointed out to me - you might feel differently if you were trapped without supplies other than your phone with nothing but a phone and a penguin to keep you warm. They can get a fire going, we're basically screwed.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
They're going through some stuff right now. No need to pour salt in the wound.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
As was pointed out to me - you might feel differently if you were trapped without supplies other than your phone with nothing but a phone and a penguin to keep you warm. They can get a fire going, we're basically screwed.
And with life saving fire, they can also boil life saving water 😆

NotFromHere

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site

Sorry, but I couldn't help indulging in some samsungenfreude. I've just never liked their phones. But I do appreciate the fact that they blazed the trail for large format phones. Without the Note line, we might never have had the chance to experience the 6p.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

^^ this. Two points here. 1. If this was any other OEM, they'd be relatively done for on these forums. 2. It could have been any OEM. Do we even know if other OEMs use the same vendors for batteries? Are other devices actually ok? Or are there just not enough of them in the wild for the statistics to make headlines? Maybe the 6P does spontaneously combust, but since there are about 5000 times more Samsungs than Nexuses, no one knows about it.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
^^ this. Two points here. 1. If this was any other OEM, they'd be relatively done for on these forums. 2. It could have been any OEM. Do we even know if other OEMs use the same vendors for batteries? Are other devices actually ok? Or are there just not enough of them in the wild for the statistics to make headlines? Maybe the 6P does spontaneously combust, but since there are about 5000 times more Samsungs than Nexuses, no one knows about it.
That is what the Samsung exec said this morning. There are always some batteries that explode, but 35 cases of new batteries was way too many to not be looked at.

A lot less units sold, it could easy be passed off as someone abusing a battery because it is so few.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
One out of half a million batteries. I'd call that pretty good odds. Toyota had brakes that failed a lot more often than that.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
One out of half a million batteries. I'd call that pretty good odds. Toyota had brakes that failed a lot more often than that.

Samsung PR spin...

They have had batteries explode and catch fire before as well as swelling and busting the screen.. This ain't their first rodeo on this... and there never was a Global Recall..

This is a preemptive move to minimize the financial damages by limiting the liability , to keep the feds out of it, and to save face.... And if anyone buys that the numbers are small with the units.. I have some beachfront properties for sale on a little island... Don't mind the smoking volcano or those chimneys sticking up through the ash..

Markxmlx

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Kind of lame of you to be poking fun at people that spent nearly $900 on a phone that pretty much every review site called excellent.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance