Android 7.0 Nougut OTA Update

jjlee1128

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
I've been reading a lot of threads about people getting or not getting the 7.0 update. I have a few friends that have or have not been getting the update as well. Before I ask, just need to make something clear with everyone, and people should also know this too.

There is a security update (approx. 20MB) that prepares your phone for the official update. So please, know this before you comment and say you got this update, but don't know why your phone build states 6.0.1.

The second update is the one that truly updates your phone to Nougat, which is approximately 1.1GB large.

So my question to everyone is...

(1) what phone carrier you are on
AND
(2) if you did or did not receive the 7.0 update

I suspect that my phone carrier, Verizon, has not released the 7.0 update out yet. They are slow as ever, per usual.

Thanks!

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I suspect that my phone carrier, Verizon, has not released the 7.0 update out yet. They are slow as ever, per usual.

Why would Verizon have anything to do with it? It's a Nexus 6P, not a Droid. Google updates your Nexus, not Verizon.

I'd bet that the update rolls out in stages.

jjlee1128

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
I actually talked to a Google rep, and he said that they do roll it out in stages. However, part of what determines the stages are carriers, which is why I started the thread.

Sullie714

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Never having Verizon I cannot be 100% sure, but I am just about 99% sure that the carriers are the number one reason for the delay and fragmentation of Android. Having been with AT&T before Fi I can tell you that AT&T puts a death grip on ANY phone (Nexus or not) that has an AT&T Sim that ever hits one of their towers. They were terrible at timely updates. For your purpose JJ I have FI and have received no sign of an OTA yet for Nougat, still sitting on the August 5th security update at 6.0.1.

opuntia2

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Never having Verizon I cannot be 100% sure, but I am just about 99% sure that the carriers are the number one reason for the delay and fragmentation of Android. Having been with AT&T before Fi I can tell you that AT&T puts a death grip on ANY phone (Nexus or not) that has an AT&T Sim that ever hits one of their towers. They were terrible at timely updates. For your purpose JJ I have FI and have received no sign of an OTA yet for Nougat, still sitting on the August 5th security update at 6.0.1.

I'm on Verizon, I've received the Security Update (a couple of days ago), but not the 7.0 update.

Regarding if it's the carrier's fault for not updating Nexus phones, I believe that's true for non-Nexus phones, but not our precious...here it is straight from the horse's mouth

Screenshot_20160916-155650.jpg

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
If you want to do it yourself, these are good instructions. I used them to upgrade and got the latest build with September 6th security patch. Of course, this is a proceed at your own risk situation. Make sure you get the OTA file, not the Factory Image.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/02/1...date-a-nexus-without-root-or-custom-recovery/

One thing though, I found that if your PC is not recognizing the device when you are entering commands in the command window, you may need to uplug your phone from the USB cable and plug it back in.

Or you can probably just wait, it will eventually get to you.

TrekkieMonster

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I've been reading a lot of threads about people getting or not getting the 7.0 update. I have a few friends that have or have not been getting the update as well. Before I ask, just need to make something clear with everyone, and people should also know this too.

There is a security update (approx. 20MB) that prepares your phone for the official update. So please, know this before you comment and say you got this update, but don't know why your phone build states 6.0.1.

The second update is the one that truly updates your phone to Nougat, which is approximately 1.1GB large.

So my question to everyone is...

(1) what phone carrier you are on
AND
(2) if you did or did not receive the 7.0 update

Thanks!

Thank you for posting this note. It actually occurred to me after I posted in a different thread that the OTA update I received last night (after which I was confused because my phone still showed 6.01) might be a security update in preparation for Nougat. But, I would note further that the exact same thing just happened again tonight: I got yet another OTA update, after which my phone is STILL showing version 6.01. So, there may be more than one update in preparation for Nougat. The OTA update I got last night was relatively small (can't recall exactly the size), but tonight's was something over 16GB.

JoeUserTX

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm on Project Fi, and I just got the 21Mb update notification after checking the System Update option in Setup (wonder why I didn't get a push notification? Strange...).

I'll wait until I get home to hook up to wi-fi and perform the update. My guess is this is the security update that has to be applied prior to the full 1.6Gb update.

crosspatch

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm on Verizon. I got the pre-N / September security update a few days ago, but no Nougat. I always feel like I'm the last one to get updates. (Sometimes, that's a good thing.) I'm glad I found this thread.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I bought my 6P from the Google Store.

Last edited:

eckster

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I just got the September security update. After that was installed, a few minutes later, I received the update to 7.0. I'm on Verizon and purchased my phone directly from the Play Store.