Factory reset...what will automatically save??

Graymonkey

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
I'm having problems connecting during a phone call (won't switch to wifi & other end can't hear me). Project Fi suggested a factory reset. I'm willing to give that a try but I've got my phone set up just the way I want it.

What (if anything) will automatically be saved and reinstalled once the factory reset it done? Will I need to manually reinstall anything (everything!?)? I have backups set up (to my Google acct) and I'll copy all my pics to my computer.

What else should I do? I HATE having to manually redo everything on the phone (it takes SO long) but the phone is worthless if the called party can't hear me (it's fine when I get an incoming call).

Thanks for the help!

Forest Dane

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
When I swapped my phone, when I signed in on the new one it was pretty much the same once I'd downloaded the apps. Photos were viewable but not on the phone obviously. Apps were there on the home screen but shaded awaiting download.
All my play music had gone though and I couldn't find a way to see what I had downloaded nor any way of auto downloading.
All the stuff like contacts, calendar and mail obviously saved.
I'd also made sure I'd backed up what'sapp and Nova which helped.

I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was compared to previous years. Only annoyance was 10gbor so of music.

There's folks on here who do this regularly though that might be able to help more. I avoid it at all costs if I can.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Factory reset wipes all data on your phone including and music, videos, or photos stored on the device.
Only things that are saved are items you have synced to the cloud

pappy35

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Still wish they could make it like Apple in that it restores itself to a state exactly like it was prior to the reset. Reset an iPhone and when it's done it's like nothing ever happened. Seems like false advertising when they give you the option to Backup & Restore yet Restoring doesn't do much other than reinstall apps. I even lose content like a game high score so it doesn't restore any app data like it says it does. This aspect of Android vs. Apple is the only thing I dislike.

Maybe this new partition implementation in Nougat will enable that...

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Nobody else?
open google drive--> hamburger-->settings-->Manage backup

any app listed there will restored after a factory reset.

All settings will be restored.

wifi password,call history will be restored.

your home screen icon placements will be restored if you use google now launcher.

all installed app will be downloaded and restored

any other apps data which is not listed on the google drive wont be restored.

any music video or pics thats are not backed up to google photos wont be restored.

any other downloaded files wont be restored

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I didn't know that. There are a few apps that haven't been backed up in a couple of months. Any way to force them to back up?

to backup u need to be on wifi, charging and not use the device for a while. so just leave it on charger over night(on wifi) and it will automatically back it up.

if you want to force backup i think u can do it via adb.

also some app dont need to backup often. some of my backup are a month old but thats because nothing has changed in the app to back it up again

pappy35

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Been there done that. I just don't think I should have to use an app. Google has a Backup and Restore function. So does Apple. I'm using Google's messaging app so why can't Google implement Backup so that it works as the name implies and not require us to find and use third a party application that we have to grant permission to access our e-mail in order to work? SMSBU&R took FOREVER to back up and failed a couple of times resulting in duplicate and even triplicate copies of texts. It was a mess but I suppose I'll have to cave and reinstall it.

Same goes for app data.

WARNING: First World Problem. If this offends you read no further!

It says it backs up app data. So why do I lose all my high scores when I to a FDR? Again, with the other guy, when I restore it comes all the way back like nothing ever happened. I assumed that by using a Nexus device these problems, which I assumed were due to OEM and Carrier meddling, would not happen. Alas, they do....

Now, there are huge and numerous problems with iPhone that are far worse than this. I'm just saying that Google could do this better.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
SMSBU&R took FOREVER to back up and failed a couple of times resulting in duplicate and even triplicate copies of texts. It was a mess but I suppose I'll have to cave and reinstall it.
Strange, I have not had an issue with the app yet, and it's backing up ~11K SMS/MMS along with 350MB of pictures/videos. The actual (local) backup is pretty quick (less than 5 minutes) but the upload to Google Drive does take quite awhile. Is that where your problem arises?

Last edited:

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Google could definitely do better, it keeps improving but it isn't anywhere near as good as iPhone was four years ago.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'll agree, with the caveat that Apple owns the whole ecosystem - hardware, OS, app store - the whole shebang. They can dictate policy and developers have to comply or they get kicked off the bus.

Google certainly has the resources and a shining example of what the consumer expects, so they certainly have been slow in bringing it to the table. Complain to them.

pappy35

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'll agree, with the caveat that Apple owns the whole ecosystem - hardware, OS, app store - the whole shebang. They can dictate policy and developers have to comply or they get kicked off the bus.

Google certainly has the resources and a shining example of what the consumer expects, so they certainly have been slow in bringing it to the table. Complain to them.

Well yes but I kinda thought that the Nexus line was completely controlled by them. Samsung, LG, Verizon, AT&T, etc., all have their hands in the pot and so I get the fragmentation issues.

Strange, I have not had an issue with the app yet, and it's backing up ~11K SMS/MMS along with 350MB of pictures/videos. The actual (local) backup is pretty quick (less than 5 minutes) but the upload to Google Drive does take quite awhile. Is that where your problem arises?

Local backup? As the point is a backup off the device in case of failure that doesn't do much good. I thought SMS Backup uploaded to a folder in GMail? That's what took forever, in my case it was almost two hours, for a similarly-sized task. I'l give it another try and see what happens.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I thought SMS Backup uploaded to a folder in GMail? That's what took forever, in my case it was almost two hours, for a similarly-sized task.
I don't use the Gmail option - I save it to Google Drive or manually upload the local backup to Google Drive myself. That portion of the process does take longer than I'd expect though - I've seen the upload get to 99% in a reasonable amount of time and then sit at the last percent for over an hour; meanwhile, if I actually open Google Drive the file is actually there and complete. So who knows what that is all about. I'm testing with Dropbox now to see if it's any better.