So if your battery goes out on your Nexus 6P, the phone is essentially a throw-a-way

jeslevine

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
unless you can change it yourself through iFixit or some other third party.

That is really sad.

I called the Google store, Huawei, and Project Fi, and that is what they told me

I love the phone, and I assume it will have no issues for at least two or three years, but the non-repairability factor is really sad

walter1832

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I've seen the tear down video's and it really doesn't seem too difficult to change the battery yourself. I do understand that some may be a bit apprehensive to do it themselves. Just go on youtube to view a few videos and you'll see. I've done it before on other phones with non-removable batteries. Some are difficult, but I don't think the 6P is.

jeslevine

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I've seen the tear down video's and it really doesn't seem too difficult to change the battery yourself. I do understand that some may be a bit apprehensive to do it themselves. Just go on youtube to view a few videos and you'll see. I've done it before on other phones with non-removable batteries. Some are difficult, but I don't think the 6P is.

Once the cover comes off it doesn't seem too bad, but according to fixit there is a fair change to damage the screen or body to get access to the innards

This non-removable battery trend was started by Apple, and as far as I can see they did that to motivate people to buy new phones. LG is one of the few that still have replaceable batteries, and memory.

Same thing with laptops. It is purely business, hoping consumers buy phones and computers more frequently

jeslevine

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Don't despair, there are tons of phones out there that the batteries are not user accessible.

I know, and that is what I am complaining about. I believe Apple started that trend, along with having laptops with non-removable batteries. LG has removable batteries, and memory, so it isn't because of technology issues, it is a business decision so consumers buy new computers and phones more frequently

Apple is now starting removing the earphone jack in hopes they can sell their 160 dollar earbuds, and music services.

In the end, it will be the market will determine where things go

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I know, and that is what I am complaining about. I believe Apple started that trend, along with having laptops with non-removable batteries. LG has removable batteries, and memory, so it isn't because of technology issues, it is a business decision so consumers buy new computers and phones more frequently

Apple is now starting removing the earphone jack in hopes they can sell their 160 dollar earbuds, and music services.

In the end, it will be the market will determine where things go

One reason I'd assume they're dropping removable batteries is waterproofing. If the battery is removable, you'd have to have a gasket to seal out the water, which would make it difficult to remove the cover. Plus with a removable battery you need to have a battery tray that seals off the motherboard from the battery and the elements, so that takes up more space as well. And that tray will also add to the cost of the device vs simply soldering the battery connections right to the board. And most mobile batteries have quite a long lifespan. My brother had his OG Droid Incredible for 4 years before the battery started giving him issues. And he didn't follow the battery saving protocols like not letting the battery get below 30-40% before charging either. So I would imagine you'll be on a new device before battery issues present themselves.

Laptops and PCs made by companies like eMachines are a good example. There cost was way below everyone else, but their internal components like the RAM modules and such were soldered into place. That meant no upgrades, but it also has the benefit of more positive connections, less hardware (RAM module connectors) needed, and less space taken up. While not as big of a deal in things like laptops or PCs, it is when devices are small like with a smartphone or tablet. I had a tablet with a removable battery, the Toshiba Thrive 10, and that thing was bulky and heavy. It was double the thickness of my Nexus 7 2013, and weighed considerably more as well. So there are reasons beyond getting you to buy a new device.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't say it is waterproofing... it's all about R&D and manufacturing costs. A user-removable battery requires more R&D resources, requires more testing and adds to the manufacturing complexity. Going to a 'sealed' unit saves both time and money. And in some cases, they can't design in a way to remove the battery and maintain their desired design elements (re: Apple and Samsung for instance).

Now, the OEMs always weigh pros and cons... there may very well be some metrics that point to the fact that a large majority of users will have moved on to a new phone before they will start to see battery degradation. So while they aren't designing the phones to die at two years, there is little incentive for them to go out of their way to assure that they will last longer.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
unless you can change it yourself through iFixit or some other third party.

That is really sad.

I called the Google store, Huawei, and Project Fi, and that is what they told me

I love the phone, and I assume it will have no issues for at least two or three years, but the non-repairability factor is really sad

Did your battery go out? they have a one year warranty against stuff like that (I believe) and then there's also nexus protect, which covers you for two years against defects and other factors. So....there are options.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't say it is waterproofing... it's all about R&D and manufacturing costs. A user-removable battery requires more R&D resources, requires more testing and adds to the manufacturing complexity. Going to a 'sealed' unit saves both time and money. And in some cases, they can't design in a way to remove the battery and maintain their desired design elements (re: Apple and Samsung for instance).

Now, the OEMs always weigh pros and cons... there may very well be some metrics that point to the fact that a large majority of users will have moved on to a new phone before they will start to see battery degradation. So while they aren't designing the phones to die at two years, there is little incentive for them to go out of their way to assure that they will last longer.

I went on to say that removable batteries are more expensive to manufacture than sealed batteries. But, waterproofing is a major benefit to going with a sealed battery system. Like I said, if you want to have a removable battery and waterproofing in a phone, it's going to seriously increase the size, make removing the battery more difficult, and the material costs will be much more than with a sealed battery waterproof phone.

I was responding to Jeslevine about battery lifespan. He made it sound like they were purposely putting in sealed batteries to force consumers to move up to a new device. While I'm sure some have thought about it, I seriously doubt that is the determining factor for going with sealed batteries. Worst case you can have them replaced for less than the price of a new phone. I asked a shop in my state what they charged to replace the battery on a phone like ours. They said the price of the battery plus $40 labor. Helluva lot cheaper than buying a new phone.

WClark57

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
This issue popped-up a couple years back when most manufacturers decided to go non-replaceable. I've always disliked it, but in real terms, I've never had to replace a battery and I tend to keep my phones at least two years unless they are crap like my last moto. I doubt this is a decision to drive people toward new phones partly because there are enough folks who just have to have the latest as soon as it comes out and I'm sure they drive new phone sales enough to make that strategy unlikely. I have lost a phone to water damage--mistakenly took it tubing--and I see lots of advertisements mentioning water proofing so I'm sure that's one incentive, as is driving down their costs--every penny counts.

So while my concern doesn't sound so rational in light of my experience, I'd still like a removable battery. I'd also like an SD card, and I'll keep my traditional headphone jack thank you very much. That said, I may be older than some dirt now, but I still need to accept that times change.

jeslevine

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Did your battery go out? they have a one year warranty against stuff like that (I believe) and then there's also nexus protect, which covers you for two years against defects and other factors. So....there are options.
No, my battery didn't go out. The phone is a great phone in my opinion, I am just voicing a complaint that what used to be pretty common, removable batteries and memory, is no longer an option.

jeslevine

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
WClark, maybe that is part of my gripe, I liked the user flexibility of being able to have a removable battery and memory, and now some have taken that option away

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Like I said, if you want to have a removable battery and waterproofing in a phone, it's going to seriously ...

Oh, most def... I forget which phone model it was... it was a water resistant unit with a removable battery. There were all these seals and gaskets and getting the back to fit right and the seals seated properly was a pain in the butt.... Just about the only way to tell if you got it on perfectly was dunk it in a bucket and see if any water got in. Granted, that's not the best way to test things.

Skip the whole 'being able to break the phone apart feature', that makes things easier. Just run a bead of waterproof adhesive around all the seams and be done with it. That's what they did on the iPhone 7, S7/S7E and Note 7.

I see 'planned obsolescence' thrown around a lot, but I don't think they go out of their way to do it... If people kept their phones for 4 or 5 years, which would push it past the duty cycles of these batteries, you would most likely see removable batteries dominate the market with maybe a few holdouts. Apple would probably be the one that comes to mind. The best example of that is some of their Macbooks that are sealed up like Fort Knox. Laptops routinely outlive their original batteries, but Apple figures you'll pony up the cash to have a repair shop due the swap.... well, because Apple.

jeslevine

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I went on to say that removable batteries are more expensive to manufacture than sealed batteries. But, waterproofing is a major benefit to going with a sealed battery system. Like I said, if you want to have a removable battery and waterproofing in a phone, it's going to seriously increase the size, make removing the battery more difficult, and the material costs will be much more than with a sealed battery waterproof phone.

I was responding to Jeslevine about battery lifespan. He made it sound like they were purposely putting in sealed batteries to force consumers to move up to a new device. While I'm sure some have thought about it, I seriously doubt that is the determining factor for going with sealed batteries. Worst case you can have them replaced for less than the price of a new phone. I asked a shop in my state what they charged to replace the battery on a phone like ours. They said the price of the battery plus $40 labor. Helluva lot cheaper than buying a new phone.

vzwuser, what you said is a valid point. I just don't like to have options taken away.

Assuming that one of the issues is because of making it water proofing, I wonder how many users of phones actually have destroyed their phones because of water? Then again, knowing friends and acquaintances that have dings and cracked screens, maybe it is more frequent

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
The other issue that isn't being taken into account is that a non-removable battery can be larger while still keeping the phone factor smaller. You don't need the extra room for a battery compartment or to make the back removable. It is far easier for manufacturers to fit a battery around the other parts of the phone to make it fit into the case, than to design a phone around a battery compartment.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The other issue that isn't being taken into account is that a non-removable battery can be larger while still keeping the phone factor smaller. You don't need the extra room for a battery compartment or to make the back removable. It is far easier for manufacturers to fit a battery around the other parts of the phone to make it fit into the case, than to design a phone around a battery compartment.

Thanks for posting this. I remember saying the same thing when this trend of sealed batteries started. Granted it isn't much space, bit every little bit helps.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
vzwuser, what you said is a valid point. I just don't like to have options taken away.

Assuming that one of the issues is because of making it water proofing, I wonder how many users of phones actually have destroyed their phones because of water? Then again, knowing friends and acquaintances that have dings and cracked screens, maybe it is more frequent

I understand not liking options taken away, I felt the same way when OEMs started removing expandable storage from phones. Many point out that the speed isn't as good as embedded memory or UFS memory, but I've always said for things like pictures, music, documents, and most video files, SD card's speeds are just fine.

I would venture quite a few. I remember long before smartphones were the thing hearing my friend talk about one of his co-workers dropping his Motorola Timeport (like a StarTac but with a multicolor screen and add-ons giving it PDA like functionality) in a toilet. At that time that phone cost around $800. I myself had a phone actually die due to humidity. I was working in a basement area, pretty cool and dry, and when I came outside at the end of the day (a particularly humid day) I turned on my Razr2 and seeing the screen blip off and that was it. Now I believe devices today wouldn't be as susceptible to humidity as mine was, but with things like toilets, pools, sinks, lakes and oceans, and just rainy days, I'd bet there are quite a few people who lose their phones due to water issues. The fact that most everyone knows the "rice trick" for dealing with moisture issues says to me that's it's a pretty widespread issue.

Part of it I think has to do with people who don't really know what these phones actually cost. If they're used to buying them on a 2 year contract and paying what they think is full price when it's actually a fraction of what it will cost to replace them. I see plenty of people who's phones have cracked screens or look like they put a belt sander to the body. I ask them, does your laptop look like that? Then why would you treat a device that costs almost as much the way they do? All of my phones have screen protectors and cases on them (usually TPU cases since they add the least amount of bulk while still adding cushioning in the event of a drop). Because of which, when I upgrade, my old phones look like the day I bought them. They end up going to other people on our plan and many times (if they go to my niece or nephew) end up getting destroyed within a few months. Long story short, many people treat them like they cost $50 instead of $500.