Thanks Android N for the Forced Wipe

canonBoy

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
So apparently one of the new 'features' of Android N is this forced device encryption. OK, fine, what does that mean for me? We'll, last night my phone ran out of juice, when I put it back on the charger it booted up and asked me for a password... mind you I never setup a password, just a pin and fingerprint. Entering my pin brought up a screen saying the password was correct however my data was corrupted and due to the device encryption I had to wipe my phone. Good job google. You rock. That was completely unnecessary. I didn't even knowingly encrypt my phone, so it was news to me when I had to wipe my phone that I would even run into this encryption mess.

I feel like google is getting more and more Applified, forcing sneaky crap on users like this. It might fly with oblivious apple consumers, but for those of us that have chosen Android for its open-ness, now closing itself, it's making one customer a little disgruntled.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
The 6P comes encrypted. You would have had to turn off the encryption in the past for it to be un-encrypted.

canonBoy

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
The 6P comes encrypted. You would have had to turn off the encryption in the past for it to be un-encrypted.

But now in Android 7 the only way to un-encrypt the phone is to unlock the bootloader. I'm just saying, if the phone decides to randomly corrupt itself and force me to wipe, I'm saying goodbye to this device and get a marshmallow phone and avoiding the Android N updates, if forced encryption is mandatory. Not all of us are government level employees... just let me use my phone to call, text, take pics and have some apps. Erasing all my photos and videos... For.Absolutely.No.Reason.Is.Ridiculous

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
But now in Android 7 the only way to un-encrypt the phone is to unlock the bootloader. I'm just saying, if the phone decides to randomly corrupt itself and force me to wipe, I'm saying goodbye to this device and get a marshmallow phone and avoiding the Android N updates, if forced encryption is mandatory. Not all of us are government level employees... just let me use my phone to call, text, take pics and have some apps. Erasing all my photos and videos... For.Absolutely.No.Reason.Is.Ridiculous

The only way to turn off the encryption is to wipe the phone.

canonBoy

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
The encryption is their for your protection. It was pretty well documented the phone can't be un-encrypted.

I think we're missing the point. The encryption malfunctioned on my phone. I don't need my phone to be encrypted, and I certanly don't need my phone wiping itself because it thought it was smarter than me.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Entering my pin brought up a screen saying the password was correct however my data was corrupted and due to the device encryption I had to wipe my phone.
That's unfortunate; I have not heard of anyone else reporting that issue here, but it would be worth contacting Google to find out if there's a hardware problem with your device (since the encryption is hardware-assisted) - wouldn't want the same thing to happen again.

canonBoy

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
That's unfortunate; I have not heard of anyone else reporting that issue here, but it would be worth contacting Google to find out if there's a hardware problem with your device (since the encryption is hardware-assisted) - wouldn't want the same thing to happen again.

Does anyone know of any effective avenues to get in touch with Google for hardware issues? Or would this be a Huawei thing? I don't imagine getting very far emailing google@gmail.com.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone know of any effective avenues to get in touch with Google for hardware issues? Or would this be a Huawei thing? I don't imagine getting very far emailing google@gmail.com.

If you bought it from Google.. They are pretty easy to get in touch with and help, if you didn't and the phone is broken you can try to deal with who you bought it from or Huawei.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

You can try the Google Store number, it's (855) 836-3987. They deal with anything from phones and tablets to things like OnHub and Chromecast, as well as apps purchased through the Playstore. And you get a live person to speak with.

canonBoy

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
You can try the Google Store number, it's (855) 836-3987. They deal with anything from phones and tablets to things like OnHub and Chromecast, as well as apps purchased through the Playstore. And you get a live person to speak with.

Awesome! Thanks, I'll look into that!

canonBoy

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
This same error happened again last week on the same phone, fortunately it was no longer my wife's daily driver, but annoying none the less.

My Z Force on 6.0.1 also had this happena few weeks back and had to force a wipe.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
If the same thing happened (device corrupted) then it's time to get a replacement - likely a hardware issue.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20