No Pixel for Me

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Financing a phone like its a car or a house is just nuts. That's just simply wrong. If you can't afford an insanely expensive phone then you should not be buying an insanely expensive phone.

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Financing a phone like its a car or a house is just nuts. That's just simply wrong. If you can't afford an insanely expensive phone then you should not be buying an insanely expensive phone.
That's actually the point of financing. It allows you to buy something you can't afford to buy outright.

GPuba

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site

I'm inclined to agree with you, for I fully understand where you're coming from.

I always buy my phone's outright, however I can understand people paying for something over time that is interest-free (or extremely close to it). I personally don't believe in paying for ANYTHING that involves high interest, unless it's an emergency. I even buy my cars outright.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site

That's actually the point of financing. It allows you to buy something you can't afford to buy outright.

@grover5 You are my friend a good example why a huge percentage of Americans live pay check to pay check and are loaded with debt. You clearly are missing the point I tried to make. I'll leave it at that.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I see no real harm in making payments on a phone as long as you complete the transaction interest-free and pay off the equipment as early as possible. What really matters is that one NEED the phone rather than just WANTS the phone.

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Re: Are you getting the Pixel? What are your reasons? (for? against?)

No, after paying $425 for the Nexsus 6P, I am spoiled by the price. If I feel the need for a new phone, I may go OnePlus 3. Maybe even wait for OnePlus 4 (rumors are its going to be a beast!)

I have to agree. This will push me towards a OnePlus next year. The price is so high now. :(

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: Are you getting the Pixel? What are your reasons? (for? against?)

As most, it's the price. I don't purchase Sammy or LG for the same reason. It's certainly worth the price for those looking for a flagship, but that's not my priority.

I don't mind the price if the device I am getting is perfect for me..Having said that, the Pixel leaves a lot to be desired. Definitely not worth it for me.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
If you can't afford to buy something outright you can't afford it. With the single exception of houses, which no one would be able to buy before they are 50 without mortgages, it's always more expensive to buy something over time then to just buy it. For most things the cost is interest, in the case of phones the cost is carrier lockin. In the case of the Pixel the cost is particularly high because the carrier that you are locked into is Verizon which is going to delay software updates for months and has mandated a locked bootloader which negates all of the advantages of buying a Google phone.

I've always paid cash for my cars and I've paid cash for my phones when that became an option (Nexus 5, the Galaxy Nexus was sold through carriers). My first car was a used Ford in 1972 because that's what I could afford in college, it lasted for 8 years at which point I had the money to buy a new car which I drove until it was towed away, every 10 or 11 years since, when the current car had to be towed away, I bought a new one for cash. Over my life I've saved enough in interest to buy a car.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
For most things the cost is interest, in the case of phones the cost is carrier lockin. In the case of the Pixel the cost is particularly high because the carrier that you are locked into is Verizon which is going to delay software updates for months and has mandated a locked bootloader which negates all of the advantages of buying a Google phone.

It's also available interest free directly from the Google Store and then works on any major carrier.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I see no real harm in making payments on a phone as long as you complete the transaction interest-free and pay off the equipment as early as possible. What really matters is that one NEED the phone rather than just WANTS the phone.

Except with personal finances it isn't just about paying interest it is also about cash flow. Financing something is pulling future earnings forward. If you are disciplined enough to account for all the things you are financing then sure. Most people just spend and don't really budget or have a running tally in their head so they end up overspending. I agree with the needs and wants though. The goal of marketing is to make every want a need.

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
If you can't afford to buy something outright you can't afford it. With the single exception of houses, which no one would be able to buy before they are 50 without mortgages, it's always more expensive to buy something over time then to just buy it. For most things the cost is interest, in the case of phones the cost is carrier lockin. In the case of the Pixel the cost is particularly high because the carrier that you are locked into is Verizon which is going to delay software updates for months and has mandated a locked bootloader which negates all of the advantages of buying a Google phone.

I've always paid cash for my cars and I've paid cash for my phones when that became an option (Nexus 5, the Galaxy Nexus was sold through carriers). My first car was a used Ford in 1972 because that's what I could afford in college, it lasted for 8 years at which point I had the money to buy a new car which I drove until it was towed away, every 10 or 11 years since, when the current car had to be towed away, I bought a new one for cash. Over my life I've saved enough in interest to buy a car.
I disagree. I bought the phone outright but I wouldn't have felt bad financing it. When I had less money I financed more. Often times interest free. And it did not harm me financially.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
It might. If it allows you to.afford something you want. That can be good.

That you want it doesn't mean you need it, you deserve it, or you should necessarily have it.

With modern phones costing $1000, this becomes a HUGE issue. If you're paying $50/month for just the phone, that's insane. But that's what the world is coming to--because people "want" it! Wah!

And in the end, the rest of us pay the $1000 because most of the world is happy to pay "only a few bucks more a month".

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Except with personal finances it isn't just about paying interest it is also about cash flow.

It can be. For example, I can pay off my house today with the cash I have on hand, but I prefer to refinance to a 3.5% mortgage all the way out 30 years, while my cash is making 10+% on investments--or is available maybe to put a down payment on rental property, who knows.

As much as I hate auto leasing (simply because it's given the automakers a sneaky tool to raise car prices WAY beyond simple inflation levels), SOMETIMES it makes sense. But you have to know what you're doing.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
I disagree. I bought the phone outright but I wouldn't have felt bad financing it. When I had less money I financed more. Often times interest free. And it did not harm me financially.

If they're letting you finance it interest-free, then they should drop the full-pay price 20%.

Seriously. TANSTAAFL.

(I have some hospital bills that they "let" me pay on time payments. I would happily pay the bill in full if they gave a 20% discount, but they don't, so...)

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
That you want it doesn't mean you need it, you deserve it, or you should necessarily have it.

With modern phones costing $1000, this becomes a HUGE issue. If you're paying $50/month for just the phone, that's insane. But that's what the world is coming to--because people "want" it! Wah!

And in the end, the rest of us pay the $1000 because most of the world is happy to pay "only a few bucks more a month".
Calm down. No need for the drama. Seriously, deserve it? It's a phone bootstraps. If someone can afford to buy it through financing they are welcome to do it. You don't have to. You can drop full cash on everything if you want. Free world stuff.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I would have bought a pixel if there weren't so many compromises coming from a 6P.

Smaller screen. That was my biggest issue. 5.5" being the larger is too small for me.

No stereo speakers. Another let down, considering the amount of bottom bezel this could have had one.

Crap storage configurations. Really no 64 model...... Come on Google.

Lastly price. That was also a huge slap in the face. The way Google has project ADD, I would be wary plonking down $1000+ for a device that in 10-11 months will be dropped like hot potato. Considering the way they are going making a bunch of software features pixel exclusive, and giving the 'old' nexii 7.1 as a dev preview when it is stable on pixels...... Don't really have a lot of faith in Google, and also kind of losing my patience/faith in them as a company.