I'm waiting till 7.1 is out on my 6P to determine if I should buy a Pixel

mattshow

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I don't know about you, but until I can compare the two, I won't be buying a pixel. I wanted Water-resistant and OIS in my next phone and the Note 7 keeps melting planes... So I might wait. If the consensus is that the Pixel is THAT much more superior, then I'll get it. But if the software turns out to be similar on my 6P, then I won't switch. (AKA: if Google Assistant is baked into 7.1 for the 5X/6P)

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I don't know about you, but until I can compare the two, I won't be buying a pixel. I wanted Water-resistant and OIS in my next phone and the Note 7 keeps melting planes... So I might wait. If the consensus is that the Pixel is THAT much more superior, then I'll get it. But if the software turns out to be similar on my 6P, then I won't switch. (AKA: if Google Assistant is baked into 7.1 for the 5X/6P)

I believe Google Assistant is a Pixel exclusive.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
There is absolutely nothing about the Pixel that makes it a worthwhile upgrade from the 6P, not at a reasonable price and certainly not at $879 they are charging for it. Google Assistant is already available in Allo and even if it's not integrated into 7.1 they will have to do it eventually.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
There is absolutely nothing about the Pixel that makes it a worthwhile upgrade from the 6P, not at a reasonable price and certainly not at $879 they are charging for it. Google Assistant is already available in Allo and even if it's not integrated into 7.1 they will have to do it eventually.

In your opinion...

I am already swayed to buy one, but if the battery life proves to be good then I'll definitely pull the trigger.

I just switched back to the 6P from my moto z force to try out Nougat, and man the 6P battery is trash comparatively. So once reviews are in, if the battery and camera hold up on the Pixel XL, I'll be selling the 6P and going with XL.

DJ Sandman

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
While I like my 6p, my next phone will prolly be from LG. They seem to be the only one with removable batteries. I read an online article that said smartphones aren't built like they used to be, and it is absurd that most companies do not offer removable batteries.

Also, the Pixel will be a hard sell due to its high price and lack of water resistance.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I just switched back to the 6P from my moto z force to try out Nougat, and man the 6P battery is trash comparatively.
Do you mean because the battery in the Moto Z Force is so much bigger, or because you're not getting good battery life from the Nexus 6P?

If the former, well, that's to be expected. If the latter, you should post some information about your battery life and what you're doing to manage it. I'm getting great battery life since flashing the NRD90U build.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Do you mean because the battery in the Moto Z Force is so much bigger, or because you're not getting good battery life from the Nexus 6P?

If the former, well, that's to be expected. If the latter, you should post some information about your battery life and what you're doing to manage it. I'm getting great battery life since flashing the NRD90U build.

The 6P has a 3450 mah battery while the Force has a 3500 mah. So the size isn't really that much of a difference.

I'm have to download gsam and see if anything is out of the ordinary, but it's probably just a processor efficiency and screen size differential.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
The 6P has a 3450 mah battery while the Force has a 3500 mah. So the size isn't really that much of a difference.
Guess I was thinking back to my Samsung Galaxy S3 - the battery in the Force is massive compared to that.

Anyway, if you're not getting equivalent battery life out of your 6P then there's something wrong. And you're right - loading GSam (and using ADB to enable per app tracking) is the way to solve your problem.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I covet the Pixel, but unless my 6P breaks I probably won't buy one. First gen products always have kinks to work out, and the 6P is still fantastic as a daily driver. Also this is kind of esoteric, but I'm really hoping my next phone has Bluetooth 5.

Markxmlx

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
It looks like the next Pixel will be even more vertically integrated than this one. That will be very interesting.

Holding onto the 6P for now I think.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I just hope 7.1 fixes battery issues so I can get back to my 5h SOT. I'm barely hitting 3 and this is also after a factory reset.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I just hope 7.1 fixes battery issues so I can get back to my 5h SOT. I'm barely hitting 3 and this is also after a factory reset.

My problem of late has been battery loss overnight. On Doze it was usually around 2-3% overnight. The last few nights it was 15% and 10%, which is what I got back on Lollipop. I didn't notice it until recently because I was charging my phone overnight the past week, but when I didn't do that, it was taking a major drop from MM.

In fact I just took my phone off the charger an hour ago, my Chrome and Screen were used for 50 minutes, and I'm already down to 75%. My screen brightness is just under 50% with adaptive brightness on. Normally I'd be at like 85-90% by now. I'm starting to wonder if they didn't do it on purpose.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm starting to wonder if they didn't do it on purpose.
26401e1e9a3f1e22346ec407d5d82ad0.jpg
a8a23be5c5afcb81fdd3d080c77124b0.jpg
6bbfac6e858c1217e63bdac34d2324af.jpg
They didn't do anything; perhaps you need to do some investigation?

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Here's what kills me. I've never gotten anywhere near what you are getting in those graphs. There are only 9 things in my battery usage, Google Play Services is in the middle at 1%, I'm currently at 53% and mine says I have 4 hours left, and my SOT is 1H55M. The best I've ever gotten for SOT was maybe 3H30M, and that was with the battery almost gone. But even at my best, right out of the box I've never gotten numbers anywhere near yours. Maybe because I'm on a Network Extender and 3G draws more juice? Maybe it'd be worth it to pick up an LTE Network Extender.

carlos12001

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Here's what kills me. I've never gotten anywhere near what you are getting in those graphs. There are only 9 things in my battery usage, Google Play Services is in the middle at 1%, I'm currently at 53% and mine says I have 4 hours left, and my SOT is 1H55M. The best I've ever gotten for SOT was maybe 3H30M, and that was with the battery almost gone. But even at my best, right out of the box I've never gotten numbers anywhere near yours. Maybe because I'm on a Network Extender and 3G draws more juice? Maybe it'd be worth it to pick up an LTE Network Extender.

Anything cellular data related is much harder on your battery than wifi.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Anything cellular data related is much harder on your battery than wifi.

I know that, but you need to have cellular data to make and receive calls. The Nexus 6p on Verizon doesn't have access to WiFi calling or I'd be using it. What I was saying is I wonder if the people who are doing better than me on battery and SOT are doing so because they're on an LTE signal, and perhaps that takes less juice than a 1x or 3G signals does.

Where I live (and spend 90% of my time) if I don't use a Network Extender, I get around -102dBm on 3G and -128dBm on LTE, so pretty much useless. With the Network Extender I get around -83dBm on 3G (it's the older 3G model NE). So I'm wondering if I were to switch to an LTE Network Extender they released earlier this year, maybe it wouldn't take as much of a toll on my battery.

Because one thing I noticed as a difference in my experiences vs GSDer's is that when he's apparently in Doze mode, his signal shows green, when I'm in Doze mode, mine shows orange or red. I assumed that since Doze is kinda like putting it in Airplane Mode my signal would look that way, but maybe there's something else at play.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'd agree that a lousy cellular signal will kill your battery like nobody's business. I used to work in a lab that had horrible signal - if I forgot to put my phone in Airplane mode it'd be dead in about 3 hours. My current signal levels average
478c9708ea286e8c2148b1a991ae5b5c.jpg
(here's a snapshot)
f6f715734e8c1d830197a32e910d4a8e.jpg
You could put it in Airplane mode overnight just to see if that's what's going on.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I'd agree that a lousy cellular signal will kill your battery like nobody's business. I used to work in a lab that had horrible signal - if I forgot to put my phone in Airplane mode it'd be dead in about 3 hours. My current signal levels average//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161012/478c9708ea286e8c2148b1a991ae5b5c.jpg(here's a snapshot)//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161012/f6f715734e8c1d830197a32e910d4a8e.jpgYou could put it in Airplane mode overnight just to see if that's what's going on.

I may try that, but my question to you is, do you spend the majority of your time in LTE? Are you running completely stock or are you running a ROM or custom kernel? I'm just trying to see if I should expect the same out of my completely stock 6p (never rooted or ROM'd).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown