Nexus 6P or Moto Z Play?

svknet

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
I am kinda confused about whether to go for Nexus 6P (which is Indian Rs 43000 - $644) ro go for cheaper Moto Z Play (INR 24000 - $360).
I want Android phone which should have stock Android without any bloatware. Nexus 6P is best choice, but its very costly considering its 1 year old device. Reason why I am comparing it with Moto Z Play is because Z Play also has AMOLED display (which I want), and Z Play also has promised 7.0 upgrade by Dec 2017.
So what is better choice at this time to buy - Costly Nexus 6P or relatively cheaper Moto Z Play.

P.S.: Pixel price have blown off my wish to go for it. If it was in price range of Nexus 6P, I would not have had 2nd thought about pruchasing it, and gone for it.

PRGDR

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I guess if you are not quite convinced of the 6P, you migth as well save almost half the money and go for the Z play. That is probably what I would do.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Nexus 6p has 7.0. I had the Moto Z Force so I know how that Moto Z play will or should handle. I see the biggest advantage is that more Moto mods will eventually surface. As far as both my Nexus 6p and the Moto Z Force I had before this, they are quite similar in terms of interface. Does the Moto mods mean a lot to you? 6p is going to be a faster or more zippy phone. Both are good phones but if I were choosing, if I went with the Moto it would be either the Force or the slimmer version. I believe the 6p is an all around better device than the Z play. If you step up to the Force, then you've got a much similar comparison. To be totally honest, I miss my Z Force but I have not been able to tell any difference between performance and lastly the 6p in silver is awesome looking. Good luck man.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Z Play also has promised 7.0 upgrade by Dec 2017.

You probably mean December 2016, correct?

I would probably go with the Moto Z Play. The Nexus 6P is a nice device, but in my opinion it is not worth the price difference. I do not have experience with the Moto Z Play specifically, but my wife has had a couple older version of the Moto X. Motorola has done a wonderful job of keeping them near stock Android, but incorporating very useful Moto additions.

StealthTH

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Given your choices and how much they cost in your area the choice is simple...moto z play. Better hardware under the hood, half the price. About the only thing you're giving up is timely updates. But at 50% of the cost this would be an easy decision for me.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Moto Z play is similar in pricing or so I thought. Depends if the Moto mods interest you. I had the Moto , Force and between the two I've found the 6p to be the better of the two. Not near as heavy. Plus the Z play has less of a processor. Both are great phones. I just know that the mods add weight. The only thing I miss is expanded storage

armyav8tor

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I would recommend staying away from Lenovo. They've ruined Motorola. Everything from design to support have gone downhill fast. The Z modular concept is stupid. Good luck on getting updates fast, I think your post is spot on, it probably won't see Nougat until Dec 2017. Lol

svknet

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
Thanks all for comments.
Is it worth to spend huge on Snapdragon 810 in end of 2016? Besides I read that Nexus 6P doesn't support VoLTE (at least in India). While Z Play supports VoLTE, does it make any difference?
You probably mean December 2016, correct?
Sorry! Right I meant Dec 2016. It was Typo mistake :)

Soundtallica

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
BTW, the 6P already has 7.0 Nougat.

Unless you really value low light photography or timely updates, the Z Play is a much better deal. It's a lot cheaper, I can get 8-10hrs SOT over 2 days for battery life, and Motorola's additions to stock Android are wonderful. The camera is excellent in good lighting, and you can tease some good low light stuff if you mess with the exposure and manual controls. Even if you don't care for the Moto mods, it's a solid device.

You asked about the 6P's SOC, so I'll say this: the SD810 is trash. It heats up the phone even when doing something as easy as browsing the web on Chrome. I tried every battery trick in the book and even flashed a few different roms and kernels on my 6P when I had it, and I still couldn't get great battery life. I chalk that up to the lousy 810.

Oh, and there's the fact that its build quality is crap as well, my 6P started bending on me. Such a shame, because other than build quality, expandable storage, size, and battery that thing was a pretty sweet phone.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
BTW, the 6P already has 7.0 Nougat.

Unless you really value low light photography or timely updates, the Z Play is a much better deal. It's a lot cheaper, I can get 8-10hrs SOT over 2 days for battery life, and Motorola's additions to stock Android are wonderful. The camera is excellent in good lighting, and you can tease some good low light stuff if you mess with the exposure and manual controls. Even if you don't care for the Moto mods, it's a solid device.

You asked about the 6P's SOC, so I'll say this: the SD810 is trash. It heats up the phone even when doing something as easy as browsing the web on Chrome. I tried every battery trick in the book and even flashed a few different roms and kernels on my 6P when I had it, and I still couldn't get great battery life. I chalk that up to the lousy 810.

Oh, and there's the fact that its build quality is crap as well, my 6P started bending on me. Such a shame, because other than build quality, expandable storage, size, and battery that thing was a pretty sweet phone.

My results are just the opposite. Mine never heats up while browsing or at any other time to be honest. I suspect that you had a faulty unit. I average 6 hours of screen on time with mine and I am not alone on this forum getting this on a daily basis neither. So it certainly has nothing to do with the processor. Also the build quality of of mine is excellent...and the lack of expandable storage is moot on these phones, so complaing that it lacked it is childish. Furthermore the camera is very good all things considered. It takes good pictures both in low light and normal, and while not as good as a few new flagship phones out it does a great job. If controls are your thing there are several apps available for download from the play Store that works beautifully with the 6p..

Soundtallica

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
My results are just the opposite. Mine never heats up while browsing or at any other time to be honest. I suspect that you had a faulty unit. I average 6 hours of screen on time with mine and I am not alone on this forum getting this on a daily basis neither. So it certainly has nothing to do with the processor. Also the build quality of of mine is excellent...and the lack of expandable storage is moot on these phones, so complaing that it lacked it is childish. Furthermore the camera is very good all things considered. It takes good pictures both in low light and normal, and while not as good as a few new flagship phones out it does a great job. If controls are your thing there are several apps available for download from the play Store that works beautifully with the 6p..

I think I need to clear some things up here. My heat issues were very real: although it got fairly warm browsing, it never got scalding hot. I could've averaged 6hrs SOT on the 6P... over maybe 12 hours. Generally I got 3-4.5hrs depending upon my usage over a full day no matter how I tweaked it. My Z Play's battery lasts double, or even triple that. And either you're lucky that your 6P hasn't bent yet... or I'm unlucky. All I know is that mine did and that was super annoying and disappointing.

I will agree with you that the 6P's photos are amazing though, especially in low light. HDR+ is hands down the best smartphone camera processing algorithm. Makes me not miss OIS. But then again, HDR+ can't save its video from being very shaky. A consequence of no OIS and bad software stabilization.

svknet

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
Thanks again for all your comments on topic. After reading various forums comments about this topics, I made decision that Neuxs 6P is not good buy at its current price (very high). So I ordered Moto Z Play.
I really hoped Nexus 6P price would get dropped significantly after Pixel launch. But looks like Google or Huawei are sticking to the price which they might be feeling best price for their device.

Markxmlx

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
The 6P is certifiably trash at the moment with Android 7.0 (I know because I have one). The battery life is pretty much 50-75% of what it used to be on Android 6. Get the Moto Z Play and enjoy the insane battery life!

armyav8tor

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Surprisingly, 7.1.1 addresses the battery issue. Completely stock at the moment and enjoying about the same battery life as when I ran a modified kernel on 7.0. Below are the 7.0 numbers... Only installed 7.1.1 last night so will take a few days before the phone settles but numbers are already similar.

39fb70531bc0173b7bad764dc0ab46ec.jpg

9aec007f7766cf729d78b036e5b4624f.jpg

d39941a716d9ad59f7eec5267553c832.jpg

eacd977c56177c884e3da236c188d44c.jpg

ac8fa200f90d49142a55f334735592ba.jpg

8f2eaef7dda82dd8e303e5a008e41d5e.jpg

svknet

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
The 6P is certifiably trash at the moment with Android 7.0 (I know because I have one). The battery life is pretty much 50-75% of what it used to be on Android 6. Get the Moto Z Play and enjoy the insane battery life!
You are right. Moto Z Play really has insane battery life. When I got mobile on Friday, it already had 50% battery. I downloaded several apps over WiFi, and screen was ON for significatnt time, still battery was going strong. Finally on Sunday evening battery was 3-% when I charged again.

To original topic, reason why I was comparing Nexus Vs Moto was bacause, both have stock Android, which I wanted. But after Pixel launch, Nexus is also just like any other 3rd pary OEM for Google. Nexus would miss many of new features which Pixel would have. So it was no point in buying Nexus 6P at very high price now.

Markxmlx

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
You are right. Moto Z Play really has insane battery life. When I got mobile on Friday, it already had 50% battery. I downloaded several apps over WiFi, and screen was ON for significatnt time, still battery was going strong. Finally on Sunday evening battery was 3-% when I charged again.

To original topic, reason why I was comparing Nexus Vs Moto was bacause, both have stock Android, which I wanted. But after Pixel launch, Nexus is also just like any other 3rd pary OEM for Google. Nexus would miss many of new features which Pixel would have. So it was no point in buying Nexus 6P at very high price now.

The Android 7.1 dev preview has helped the battery a little but I still think the Z Play is a much better choice at this moment in time. Enjoy!