New to 6P...

anon(9227267)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
...it will arrive next week.
According to project Fi specs, it comes with Marshmallow 6.0.

When I activate the phone am I apt to be getting some immediate updates?
If Nougat is available is it advisable to install it?

I have Marshmallow 6.0.1 on the Z Force and I am happy with it.

stan23

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I bought a new 6p the other day, the updates process was painful. Basically, they will stagger all the security updates; like 4-5 in all each one will take 20 or so minutes, then the pre-Nougat update, and finally the nougat update. All the while all the built-in google apps needs updating as well. From when I first turned on the phone til it was fully updated with Nougat took about 2 hours.

stan23

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I had something similar with the Z Force - I am wondering if I have the option to get Nougat or not.

You do. You don't need to update to Nougat if you don't want. I did though.

I updated everything, then did another factory reset before setting up my phone.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
While the updates on 7 are tremendous, I don't see why you wouldn't update to it...it's an overall better experience. Go through all the updates and let the phone do its thing, 2 hours imo seems like a well worth while time spent on the return.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I also say once you get all of the updates done.. Clear the cache partition and then do a factory reset on it. It may seem to be a waste, but as good as everything is on mine doing this right out of the gate.. It's been frigging awesome. I stated completely fresh with it except for my contacts.. I'll be doing this from now on BTW.. I've always passed on doing it this way, but for me, it has been the best with this phone...

Good luck

anon(9227267)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
I also say once you get all of the updates done.. Clear the cache partition and then do a factory reset on it. It may seem to be a waste, but as good as everything is on mine doing this right out of the gate.. It's been frigging awesome. I stated completely fresh with it except for my contacts.. I'll be doing this from now on BTW.. I've always passed on doing it this way, but for me, it has been the best with this phone...

Good luck

Your post makes sense - I like posts that make sense - a quick Google for cache clearing instructions and I'll be ready when the 6P arrives.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'd vote that you leave it on Marshmallow - that way whenever someone is questioning a particular behavior on Nougat, we can turn to you for feedback on how it compares to Marshmallow!

anon(9227267)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Going to go one step further - leave it in the Google store.
Got a Moto Z Force last month, which is my main phone, wanted a Project Fi phone for the experience. Have decided not to add a 2nd phone.
Thanks to all who offered advice/suggestions here.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Nougat has some issues -- at least on my phone even after doing a factory reset. I miss Marshmallow, at least until Google irons out the quirks.

When my phone is idle and laying in landscape position (i.e.: in the cradle in my car), the phone recognizes "OK Google" but does not unlock the phone to accept my voice command. I have all of the settings the same as I did in Marshmallow -- just doesn't work in Nougat.

When I turn my phone screen on in the car, streaming music crackles while streaming via Bluetooth in my Chevy -- never a problem in Marshmallow.

MapMyRun+ activities no longer appear in Google Fit -- never a problem in Marshmallow.

These are just the ones that come to mind right now.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Nougat has some issues -- at least on my phone even after doing a factory reset. I miss Marshmallow, at least until Google irons out the quirks.

When my phone is idle and laying in landscape position (i.e.: in the cradle in my car), the phone recognizes "OK Google" but does not unlock the phone to accept my voice command. I have all of the settings the same as I did in Marshmallow -- just doesn't work in Nougat.

When I turn my phone screen on in the car, streaming music crackles while streaming via Bluetooth in my Chevy -- never a problem in Marshmallow.

MapMyRun+ activities no longer appear in Google Fit -- never a problem in Marshmallow.

These are just the ones that come to mind right now.

Oh, when the phone is asleep in landscape position, the daydream feature flashes constantly rather than just showing the clock, as its supposed to do. -- never a problem in Marshmallow.

Dammit Google.

VAVA Mk2

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I bought a new 6p the other day, the updates process was painful. Basically, they will stagger all the security updates; like 4-5 in all each one will take 20 or so minutes, then the pre-Nougat update, and finally the nougat update. All the while all the built-in google apps needs updating as well. From when I first turned on the phone til it was fully updated with Nougat took about 2 hours.

Or if you want you can manually flash the OTA or factory image the day Google releases it..

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers