Nexus 6P's battery is draining TOO FAST

karansoni07

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
My Nexus 6P's battery is draining TOO FAST. It just stays for 5 hours and 70% battery is drained by only Android OS and Android System :(

This has primarily happened after moving to Android 7

Please help what settings can help with this.

NotFromHere

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I recently started experiencing this problem as well. The most annoying part of the problem was that the phone would shut down at fairly high battery percentages, like 14%, and then when I restarted it would be at like 2%, so clearly the battery calibration had gotten out of kilter.

I performed a full FDR last weekend, which did help overall battery life, but then I still experienced that early shutdown. So, I read somewhere that letting the phone charge from totally dead back to 100% before rebooting it would recalibrate the battery. I tried that earlier this week, and since then I can now get a full 15-16 hours from the phone with more than 20% battery to spare, and if I do need to run it down, it will get to single digits without spontaneously restarting.

I know that some will respond to say that you should never let your battery get below like 40% before charging, but most days that's just not feasible for me. I need the battery to give me a full day, then I plug it in at night to charge while I sleep.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Don't feel like you're alone I am also seeing the battery drain quicker than I'd expected t due to android os

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
My Nexus 6P's battery is draining TOO FAST. It just stays for 5 hours and 70% battery is drained by only Android OS and Android System :(

This has primarily happened after moving to Android 7

Please help what settings can help with this.

There could be a rouge app causing it to happen, if you have gsam get rid of it! It was killing my battery. Once I uninstalled it, everything normalized.

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Mine appears to have been almost all Bluetooth, I had the same deal, after upgrading.

Over on the Google support forums a bunch of people where talking about disabling BT when not in-use, and how it helped, and sure enough, this pretty much solved it for me.

It's a pain, because I recently moved to a 6P, from having WinPhone forever, where you have to disable BT whenever not in use. Here I was on MM, digging being able to just connect to my BT devices without hassle, and then I upgraded to 7.0.
Hopefully Google will come out with a fix, there were a couple of Google people who acknowledged there was a problem, over in the support forums...

bpe4

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday I enrolled my phone for the Android BETA program, and the OTA for 7.1.1 developer preview immediately came up and I installed. As soon as it completed I did a system cache wipe just to make sure I was clean going forward. The phone has been absolutely STELLAR as far as battery life goes, and bluetooth has been perfect.

This morning I charged the phone to full, pulled it off the charger at 7am and went to work. It was a busy morning, so my phone just sat on the desk without me touching it... although it did receive emails, and 2 text messages. at 10:30am I picked it up and the phone was at 99%. The idle drain is amazing now.

So for you guys suffering bad battery life with 7.0 or having bluetooth issues, I encourage you to bite the bullet and get the 7.1.1 preview.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I'm on 7.1.1 and the battery has not changed since I installed 7.0. when you say system cache wipe, you mean like the full clean install or just from the storage cache data section ?

terminator y2k

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Yesterday I enrolled my phone for the Android BETA program, and the OTA for 7.1.1 developer preview immediately came up and I installed. As soon as it completed I did a system cache wipe just to make sure I was clean going forward. The phone has been absolutely STELLAR as far as battery life goes, and bluetooth has been perfect.

This morning I charged the phone to full, pulled it off the charger at 7am and went to work. It was a busy morning, so my phone just sat on the desk without me touching it... although it did receive emails, and 2 text messages. at 10:30am I picked it up and the phone was at 99%. The idle drain is amazing now.

So for you guys suffering bad battery life with 7.0 or having bluetooth issues, I encourage you to bite the bullet and get the 7.1.1 preview.

Did you unenroll from developer preview? I was contemplating signing up to get security updates but don't want phone to be wiped out. I signed up for developer preview to receive Nougat update bc I wasn't receiving it..

Attachments

• 97276.jpg
    97276.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 280

terminator y2k

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Picture didn't attach.. seems to be a glitch with app. Not uploading pictures. Wtf! !!

Attachments

• 97276.jpg
    97276.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:

bpe4

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm on 7.1.1 and the battery has not changed since I installed 7.0. when you say system cache wipe, you mean like the full clean install or just from the storage cache data section ?
I'm talking about turning off phone, booting into recovery mode and wiping from there. Just Google cache wipe for 6p to get the full steps. It insures a cleaner system.

However, whenever I go up a major update (1gb+) I do a factory data reset followed by a cache wipe.

If you're still having issues with 7.1.1 I would do the factory reset followed by the cache wipe. Then install your apps.

fju2112

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I recently started experiencing this problem as well. The most annoying part of the problem was that the phone would shut down at fairly high battery percentages, like 14%, and then when I restarted it would be at like 2%, so clearly the battery calibration had gotten out of kilter.

I performed a full FDR last weekend, which did help overall battery life, but then I still experienced that early shutdown. So, I read somewhere that letting the phone charge from totally dead back to 100% before rebooting it would recalibrate the battery. I tried that earlier this week, and since then I can now get a full 15-16 hours from the phone with more than 20% battery to spare, and if I do need to run it down, it will get to single digits without spontaneously restarting.

I know that some will respond to say that you should never let your battery get below like 40% before charging, but most days that's just not feasible for me. I need the battery to give me a full day, then I plug it in at night to charge while I sleep.

Amen! What is the point of having a huge battery if you are only supposed to use 60% of it before charging?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
GSam is GSam Battery Monitor.

The recommendation to recharge when the battery hits 30-40% is a general rule of thumb, if you want to prolong the battery's overall lifespan as much as you can. If you routinely drain it deeply, you'll find that the battery starts deteriorating sooner. But it's a general rule -- it doesn't mean that the occasional deep drain will kill the battery immediately.

msu_sherlock

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I always think ppl who report bad battery life leave on Bluetooth and GPS all day. Both will kill batteries fast but high accuracy GPS is a real killer

brutos08

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
I pretty much given up on good battery life on the 6P since Nougat as no matter how many apps what type of apps nothing really changes it's still the same very poor battery life and had a few instances where it switches off early and random reboots.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I always think ppl who report bad battery life leave on Bluetooth and GPS all day. Both will kill batteries fast but high accuracy GPS is a real killer

But if we haven't changed our habits prior to this update, why is this a legit claim? If my battery lasted about 20% more pre 7.1 with BT and GPS on all day, why should I turn it off it?

4 months later and the battery hasn't improved, I only get around 2 hrs screen on with 17-20 hrs use (that's barely any use, texts and some reading).

Pixel users report fantastic battery life so I guess google optimized their phone perfectly while ours is left lingering. It's not the worst battery life I've experienced but it's a definite drop compared to prior.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I had wondered if the later builds caused poor performance.. then I did some more digging. I loaded up an app that monitors my battery capacity, rather than looking at screen times, etc.

Turns out that my 14 month old 6P's battery had degraded a bit... I only had an effective capacity of about 3000mah (which is normal and expected for a battery that old and in constant use).

I found a place that would replace it (which was a bit of a challenge)... And now I've gained a good 90 minutes of screen time back.

So I'm not saying it's the solution for everyone's battery issues, but if you have an older one, it's a possibility.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34