My opinion: Pixel isn't a worthy upgrade to the 6P.

Billy Bob Jimmy Joe

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I was really hyped these past few days due to the high praises from pretty much all the reviewers. I tested it out in person and I personally can't find a single reason to be impressed. I mean, it's a good phone, but better than the 6P? Performance? Camera? I couldn't tell. I actually thought the 6P has a better display. The bezels actually look worse in person especially on the smaller white one. If you really want Google Assistant, Pixel Launcher, and have money to spend then go for it. I feel really good now keeping my 6P for at least another year.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I agree that the 6P is awesome, but I disagree that it is just as good as the Pixel - although I will admit, that in most aspects of the device that most people are going to care about, they're incredibly similar. But that's going to be true of so many devices, since the major flagships of 2015 and 2016 are all neck and neck on camera, are using processors with very similar capabilities, both the 6P and Pixel XL are running 7.1 (if 6P on beta), they're both very quick and capable devices.

For me, the Pixel XL allowed me to demote the 6P to my work phone and retire my previous work phone, the 5X - so I now have a Pixel XL instead of a 6P and a 6P instead of a 5X. That makes it feel like much more of an upgrade :)

NightOrchid

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Interesting post Thanks for sharing ..

The removal of the stereo speakers turned me away instantly, then no 64GB version (ala iPhone).. meaning they can justify a £100 price jump, and the identical 6P camera hardware they used, although I believe there has been some upgrade to the camera software giving it a Minor edge over the 6P.

IMO, Like Samsung have done, Google are also now following Apple as well... Massively over-priced devices for little to no upgrades or re-hashes of last years model.

The question now is.. how long will Google support the 6P

From what Ive been reading and looking at... Im seriously looking at a Huawei, OnePlus 3 or Moto X Force for my next device..

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
It's not worth it coming from a 6P anyway. It's a minimal upgrade at best. The smaller screen sizes immediately turned me off this phone. 5.5" is not XL, if it was 6" or 5.7" I might have picked one up. Looking at it, is a new SOC, and 1gb extra RAM worth an extra $400 over the 6P?! No. That and loss of stereo speakers was already 2 strikes. The final strike was the exorbitant pricing, and crap storage options. Skipping 64gb was just a way they could push you to the 128 option for extra cash...... Good job Google..... Hopefully next year the pixel 2 or whatever it is, is actually worth it.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

The removal of the stereo speakers turned me away instantly, then no 64GB version (ala iPhone).. meaning they can justify a £100 price jump, and the identical 6P camera hardware they used, although I believe there has been some upgrade to the camera software giving it a Minor edge over the 6P.

IMO, Like Samsung have done, Google are also now following Apple as well... Massively over-priced devices for little to no upgrades or re-hashes of last years model.

From what Ive been reading and looking at... Im seriously looking at a Huawei, OnePlus 3 or Moto X Force for my next device..

There is no 64GB option because Samsung is not selling the memory in enough quantity to offer one. Same reason the iPhone has no 64GB option.

The camera sensor and the image processor inside the SoC are both very different from the 6P.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
There is no 64GB option because Samsung is not selling the memory in enough quantity to offer one. Same reason the iPhone has no 64GB option.

The camera sensor and the image processor inside the SoC are both very different from the 6P.

Yes, different sensor, different SoC, different RAM, different lots of stuff.

pamelany80

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I don't think the faster processor and 1gb extra ram which are the only real upgrades from the 6p are worth the extra $269 myself.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site

What's a moto x force?

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I've been reading the reviews from all the sites but honestly I don't feel even slightly tempted. The 6P is just such a great phone that I can't see a reason to upgrade.

I kind of hope Google either produces the hardware themselves or goes back to Huawei next year, because the 6P phone body is just so beautiful.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the faster processor and 1gb extra ram which are the only real upgrades from the 6p are worth the extra $269 myself.

Well... the better processor is not just faster... its more efficient, etc. And the camera is objectively better across the board.. faster, better stabilization, etc.(not that the 6P is bad). The Pixel IS a better phone. It comes with much better tech support, unlimited orig quality pic and video storage, etc. It's not just a slightly quicker 6P.

dlaluan

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I've been reading the reviews from all the sites but honestly I don't feel even slightly tempted. The 6P is just such a great phone that I can't see a reason to upgrade.

I kind of hope Google either produces the hardware themselves or goes back to Huawei next year, because the 6P phone body is just so beautiful.

Ditto!

Not having dual stereo speakers was a killer for me and made the decision easy not to upgrade. If the camera and UI are just a tad faster, I'll survive without it. Esp with that insane price tag, no thanks! Hopefully Google learns from this year's Pixel and brings back dual front facing speakers. At least that way the bottom chin won't be useless.

CardFan502

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm upgrading from a Note 4. I ordered a 6P from AWD over a week ago for a great price ($250), but it didn't ship right away. Then all the positive reviews swayed me to a Pixel XL, and I've had that since Saturday. I forgot to cancel my 6P order, and it just showed up. Was planning to immediately send it back, but as soon as I pulled it out of the box I knew I had to at least try it out, especially given the $500 price difference. I love the feel and size of the 6P much more than the Pixel. I've enjoyed the Pixel, and the battery life is great, but the screen size is noticeably smaller than what I'm used to. I'm trying the 6P for a few days, and assuming all goes well, the Pixel XL will probably be going back.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Even by today's standards the 6P is still a brilliant phone. It may be the last Nexus phone but it's also the best Nexus phone ever made. Tons of things to love. I'm taking a pass on the Pixel. The speaker and screen size is a deal breaker, and the hardware internals aren't ahead enough to sway me. I just bought a nice super zoom camera too so any phone is now strictly for silly casual photos and there's absolutely nothing to complain about in that area either. To be honest if I was FORCED to upgrade I would actually get the newest iPhone before the Pixel. Now with the cost for either being the same I think it delivers better quality. I don't think the Pixel is worth iPhone prices frankly so I'll see what both companies bring in Fall 2017

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm upgrading from a Note 4. I ordered a 6P from AWD over a week ago for a great price ($250), but it didn't ship right away. Then all the positive reviews swayed me to a Pixel XL, and I've had that since Saturday. I forgot to cancel my 6P order, and it just showed up. Was planning to immediately send it back, but as soon as I pulled it out of the box I knew I had to at least try it out, especially given the $500 price difference. I love the feel and size of the 6P much more than the Pixel. I've enjoyed the Pixel, and the battery life is great, but the screen size is noticeably smaller than what I'm used to. I'm trying the 6P for a few days, and assuming all goes well, the Pixel XL will probably be going back.

The 6P is a great phone. I got mine back in April and after ~6 months, it hasn't had a single issue. I can't imagine that the Pixel XL is really all that much faster, and I have been super impressed with the camera (default settings, HDR+ enabled).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12