WiFi speed App (only) issues on 7.1.1?

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Does anyone else see a significant "cap" on the wireless speed?

I thought maybe I was losing it, getting 32-33 down and about 40 up, so I went and installed the FCC test (was using the speedtest.net installed test before). Same deal, although the FCC test was a bit "all over" for the upload side, first 30's, then 40's, then 80's, weird. The download was always in the low-30's though, on either app.

I did try Chrome, and I'm fine there, which is good, I get 97/96, ran a couple of times on Broadbandreports, they have a great multi-threaded test.

So why do apps get "capped" in 7.1.1? Is there a setting I made somehow, by mistake, or just don't remember?
Anyone else notice this?

Edit: Just realized, I should say that I get 100/100 service, and have two great Unifi Access Points that I run all my WiFi through. I can run the same two speed tests, on my Marshmallow tablet right next to the 6P (all 5GHz, on a wide-open channel, the only two devices on that channel if I scan) and I get 96/97, for comparison.

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Weird stuff afoot here.
I let my phone sit for a couple of minutes, and now I'm getting 97/96, ran it twice, both the FCC and speedtest.net apps.
My ping went from about 25-30ms to 4-5ms too.

Maybe it was using the secure VPN connection before? I have this enabled, for public WiFi connections, the "WiFi Assistant".
You'd think it would default to NOT using this though, on a known network (not sure if this is the issue, I haven't tried to see how can trace, I suppose I could try and find a tracert app or similar).