Switching to Verizon with unlocked 6P?

mkchillin

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I have a iPhone and T-Mobile service but want to change both. I intend to buy a 6P unlocked and then subsequently switch carriers to Verizon. I was told that the 6P has issues being used on Verizon. If nothing else, can I at least use the 6P with T-Mobile?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I have a iPhone and T-Mobile service but want to change both. I intend to buy a 6P unlocked and then subsequently switch carriers to Verizon. I was told that the 6P has issues being used on Verizon. If nothing else, can I at least use the 6P with T-Mobile?

What issues have you heard about?

mkchillin

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps they were being biased because they (probably) wanted me to be a new expensive from them directly, but two Verizon employees told me that the phone wouldn't work at all due to it being CDMA (in spite of how I told her the best buy stand said ALL major US networks INCLUDING Verizon) and and that it would be "less painful" to buy a new phone as opposed to bringing a used one in. But the Pixels cost too much and don't have enough value so I intend to buy a used 6P unlocked and take it to Verizon and have them transfer my phone number from T-Mobile and begin a new service with Verizon using the 6P on it. If nothing else, I'll use the 6P on T-Mobile.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps they were being biased because they (probably) wanted me to be a new expensive from them directly, but two Verizon employees told me that the phone wouldn't work at all due to it being CDMA (in spite of how I told her the best buy stand said ALL major US networks INCLUDING Verizon) and and that it would be "less painful" to buy a new phone as opposed to bringing a used one in. But the Pixels cost too much and don't have enough value so I intend to buy a used 6P unlocked and take it to Verizon and have them transfer my phone number from T-Mobile and begin a new service with Verizon using the 6P on it. If nothing else, I'll use the 6P on T-Mobile.

Ah. Reps.

All (US) 6Ps work with Verizon and T-Mobile.

mkchillin

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
So there shouldn't be trouble even if I'm coming from a different network? I've also heard it's more simply if you're an existing Verizon customer with a SIM through them. I must be able to have a prepaid plan and keep my number and use it with the 6P in order for this all to work according to plan.

tsparks1

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
So there shouldn't be trouble even if I'm coming from a different network? I've also heard it's more simply if you're an existing Verizon customer with a SIM through them. I must be able to have a prepaid plan and keep my number and use it with the 6P in order for this all to work according to plan.
My 6P was on AT&T prior to my switching it to Verizon, all that was required was inserting the Verizon sim, I didn't even bother calling VZW, works fine.

Bruce39

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I had a G4 on Verizon which became unusable. Bought an unlocked 6P from Amazon and got a sim from the Verizon store & deactivated the G4. Verizon tech actually input the sim & verified the 6P was working OK.

GPuba

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site

I am using this phone (the 6P) on Verizon, and have been using it without issue since July. Before that I was using the MXPE on Verizon, also without issue.

The reps either have absolutely NO idea what they're talking about, or they're deliberately lying to you.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'd guess that some features like VoLTE may not be supported by Verizon but everything else should work normally. My daughter has a 5X on Verizon and has not had any notable issues.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I'd guess that some features like VoLTE may not be supported by Verizon but everything else should work normally. My daughter has a 5X on Verizon and has not had any notable issues.

Correct, some capabilities (VoLTE, WiFi calling, visual voicemail) are not fully supported but the phone will work to make calls, send texts, use data.

NotFromHere

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Correct, some capabilities (VoLTE, WiFi calling, visual voicemail) are not fully supported but the phone will work to make calls, send texts, use data.

VOLTE works great on the N6P on Verizon. Just turn on Enhanced 4G LTE Mode in Settings/More/Cellular Networks.

I was also pleasantly surprised to find that Visual Voicemail started working for me with the 7.1 beta.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
VOLTE works great on the N6P on Verizon. Just turn on Enhanced 4G LTE Mode in Settings/More/Cellular Networks.

I was also pleasantly surprised to find that Visual Voicemail started working for me with the 7.1 beta.

That's good news. My last experience with my 6P on Verizon was in Feb., I moved to Fi...

GPuba

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site

Correct. I also can attest to this.