7.1.1 for the Nexus 6P on Verizon

EFT

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I sideloaded OTA to my stock N6P on VZW on Tuesday night. Wednesday I noticed that I cannot dial voicemail by long pressing 1 or by dialing *86. It immediately goes to call ended. Had to sign up for premium visual voicemail with VZW to check my messages until they get this figured out and release the VZW-friendly OTA.
A few times, I've had another outgoing call or two go immediately to call ended. But, I the majority of outgoing and received calls are working fine.
It seems to be showing bad wifi connectivity a lot, but it's just showing it- I haven't noticed any true connectivity issues.
The one thing I know didn't work is the decline a call with a message (quick reply). I did one last night and it did not go, and wasn't in my messaging app showing as it went out, either. However, I see in the tech news, that VZW has been having trouble with some SMS recently.
EF

cpaight

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I signed back up for the Beta and it bumped me to 7.1.1.....but also not on Verizon so idk if that matters

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I believe that Verizon is holding up the 7.1.1 update for the Nexus 6P, so that more people will buy the Pixel. I've heard that all the other carriers have sent out the 7.1.1 update to their customers.:-\

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I believe that Verizon is holding up the 7.1.1 update for the Nexus 6P, so that more people will buy the Pixel. I've heard that all the other carriers have sent out the 7.1.1 update to their customers.:-\

They don't have the ability to do that. It's not a phone you bought from them; they're not pushing the update.

Maddog241

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
So tonight out of the blue, I look at my phone and I'm being prompted to update to 7.1.1. I'm on Verizon so this surprised me. When I looked at it, the update was listed as 691mb. This made even less sense since I am on stock 7.0 and the update from there to 7.1.1 is approx. 1.2Gb in size. I agreed to download and install which never did reboot, but returned to "Your device is up to date". Something really weird is going on with Google right now.

Maddog241

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I've had my sim out for a few days. No OTA and I'm on DP2.

I'd really love an idea how/why Verizon can block a Google device OTA.

There has not been an OTA released yet that updates from DP2. I would expect that forthcoming in the near future. Very strange goings on at Google right now with this update.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I truly believe that Google & Verizon are up to something. There are just too many coincidences. The fact that the Pixel(i would add the letter "r", but probably get into trouble) is exclusive to Verizon, makes me very suspicious.:p

Bruce39

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Verizon does things "their way". They won't even work with Samsung's efforts to "brick" all Note 7's. Their lame excuse was they didn't want their users to not be able to call 911. Has always been my experience on other phones that Verizon is the last carrier to update; usually after AT&T.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
AT&T is what i had before Verizon. I will never have either carrier again. When my contract is up, if not sooner, it's hello TMo for me.:p

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I've been running the 7.1.1 betas on Verizon without any problems, I wonder what the issue is that is keeping them from issuing the 7.1.1 final for Verizon users.

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
The same thing happened to me with 7.0, and AT&T. I wasn't getting the update for weeks, but removing my SIM, and clearing my cache, and instantly I get the update, hmm...
Sure it could be coincidence, but I'm fairly certain in that giant EULA you say "OK" to, that there's a clause about carrier-related stuff. I bet they're covered, so that they can delay for some period, if a carrier requests it.
I doubt it's for the Pixel reason though, Verizon has unlocked phones for a reason, and this would probably get them into some serious trouble, all for a nominal number of sales, IMO. If you read around the 6P posts, you'll find a couple of people from Verizon that flashed, and got hosed somehow (others were successful, so maybe it's not a 100% thing). As much as I'd want 7.1.1 if I were in those shoes, I'd be sitting tight for a bit, rather than trying to create a problem for myself, or a brick, worst-case, way too many issues with the 5x and 6P recently...

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
The same thing happened to me with 7.0, and AT&T. I wasn't getting the update for weeks, but removing my SIM, and clearing my cache, and instantly I get the update, hmm...
Sure it could be coincidence, but I'm fairly certain in that giant EULA you say "OK" to, that there's a clause about carrier-related stuff. I bet they're covered, so that they can delay for some period, if a carrier requests it.
I doubt it's for the Pixel reason though, Verizon has unlocked phones for a reason, and this would probably get them into some serious trouble, all for a nominal number of sales, IMO. If you read around the 6P posts, you'll find a couple of people from Verizon that flashed, and got hosed somehow (others were successful, so maybe it's not a 100% thing). As much as I'd want 7.1.1 if I were in those shoes, I'd be sitting tight for a bit, rather than trying to create a problem for myself, or a brick, worst-case, way too many issues with the 5x and 6P recently...

I tried this for Verizon, and it didn't work. Clearing the system cache, just clears the system cache. No upgrade available.:(

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I tried this for Verizon, and it didn't work. Clearing the system cache, just clears the system cache. No upgrade available.:(

The factory image say's not for Verizon so they must have some problem with the Dec version of 7.1.1. The Nov version is working fine, to get it just sign up for the Beta.

adrew007

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Is your My Verizon Nexus app working? I can not log into it. It tells me "Please sign in form your own device or visit www.verizon. com to acess your account." I have have been on the Android Bata Program since dp2 of 7.0 I have had no issues other than this. There techs have yet to get back to me.

I just recently left the bata program. I went back to 7.0 instead of 7.1.1. I usually always do a fresh install anyways with the sim out. After doing this I received the ota to 7.1.1 NMF26F. All is working fine except the My Verizon Nexus app.

I had not seen that the public build was for everyone except VZW until after I had installed the ota. I got used to having Visual Voice Mail baked right into the Phone app and working on VZW real fast. Going back is not an option I am willing make very easily. I would have to sit on the phone with them while they figure out how to disable visual voice mail and switch back to basic voice mail. Not fun as I have done it before. There is no way to access that specific feature from our end.

blackhawk77#WN

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I get that same message on 7.0 and 7.1.1.

Is your My Verizon Nexus app working? I can not log into it. It tells me "Please sign in form your own device or visit www.verizon. com to acess your account." I have have been on the Android Bata Program since dp2 of 7.0 I have had no issues other than this. There techs have yet to get back to me.

I just recently left the bata program. I went back to 7.0 instead of 7.1.1. I usually always do a fresh install anyways with the sim out. After doing this I received the ota to 7.1.1 NMF26F. All is working fine except the My Verizon Nexus app.

I had not seen that the public build was for everyone except VZW until after I had installed the ota. I got used to having Visual Voice Mail baked right into the Phone app and working on VZW real fast. Going back is not an option I am willing make very easily. I would have to sit on the phone with them while they figure out how to disable visual voice mail and switch back to basic voice mail. Not fun as I have done it before. There is no way to access that specific feature from our end.

jeffrok

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Ugh, not sure if this is related, but I just got a 6P off Ebay, and before I had a chance to go to Verizon and get a nano sim for it, i booted it, and it updated to 7.1.1. Everything runs great with the exception of certain phone call situations, and maybe it's unrelated:

If I make a call, and said call goes to voice mail (on the receiving end), my phone will end that call. I can call people and if they answer, call quality is great and so far I haven't seen a dropped call. It's only when the receiving caller's line goes long enough to go to voicemail. It's like this phone is timing out, rather than letting the phone continue to voice mail.

Any ideas?

Last edited: